Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Machine vs Manual sharppering

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Machine vs Manual sharppering
on: August 24, 2008, 02:50:00 AM
As a young boy I can remember my father sitting at the kitchen table with his pocket knife, a can of honing oil and an Arkansas stone, back and forth, back and forth, turning the stone over for the dry side... on and on.

What have I used - started with the Arkansas stone route , but never could maintain a perfect angle to get a good sharp edge. Then off to a Lansky sharpening system, but that was a pain with clamps ant flimsy rods.

Next down the pike  was the ceramic "X" rods in a block of wood - and they kept a good edge without the hassle.

Last couple years was the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker - now that’s  a fun and easy system to use and the instructional DVD is very informative, I also started using Paper wheels - more of an industrial approach to sharpening - very effective and works as advertised.

Now the screams - A couple weeks ago I picked up a Chef's Choice Professional Knife Sharpener #320  and like most people think at this point - it's one of those metal removing grinders like the kind on the back  side of electric can openers - the man has lost his mind..  Well after sharpening all mine as well as the neighborhood's knives, I'm convinced the Model 320 is a realistic approach to knife sharpening. Paying $45.00 for a used one at the flea market was one of the best buys I've made in a long time.

This professional, two stage Diamond Hone electric knife sharpener incorporates conical 100% diamond coated disks in Stage 1 and a revolutionary stropping/polishing disk in Stage 2, to create, in just seconds, an edge of unprecedented sharpness and durability on fine edge (straight edge) and serrated knives. Enjoy this new stropping/polishing technology that resharpens with less metal removal than conventional means, even less than sharpening steels. High precision angle guides eliminate all guesswork.  Model 320 FAQ
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Machine vs Manual sharppering
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:56:59 AM
What grit are used in the stages and what angle does it sharpen at?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 03:04:45 AM
What grit are used in the stages and what angle does it sharpen at?
No idea - all I know is it works GREAT  !!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:06:37 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Biru

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:12:50 AM
As a matter of fact, there was a (not multi-) tool site somewhere on the web and they recommended that sharpener as an alternative for those who could not maintain a consistent angle.

I have NO luck sharpening, partially because I don't practice. I may check one of those sharpeners out.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:08:23 AM
I am actually having some measure of success with manual sharpening but it never hurts to look at modern technology for speed and consistancy(aka lazyness)

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:33:22 AM
Is this the machine sharpener to get for SAKs and MTs?  I am looking for something that's faster and quicker than my Lansky.

Because, there has to be a machine that can do a simple task like sharpening.  I mean, these tools leave the factories having been sharpened on machines.

"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 03:15:47 PM
What if you lose electricity?   :think: :D

[

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 07:28:19 AM
What if you lose electricity?   :think: :D

Usually I just stay home with flashlights or just take a nap.

For others, a power failure seems to make them think it's okay to hit the streets and spur some kind of crime wave, robbing and pillaging their neighborhoods.

Some day I really ought to convince the wife to let me purchase firearms for the home.

"

Offline robertrogers

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 07:56:50 PM
My mindset prefers learning methods that do not require relying upon electricity.  Never know, but in this day and age there are a number of disasters that could result in no juice for quite some time.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:45:53 AM
I have looked and they are actually not as expensive as I thought over here.   

Has it worked well on smaller blades as well?
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 01:12:14 AM
I will NOT let a sharpening machine touch my knives. I was at a gun show once and had a moment of weakness. I gave a knife sharpening guy my Tinker and he proceeded to take off probably 10 years worth of metal in under a minute. Even my wife noticed it. I didn't do anything to him because I probably would have gotten arrested. I just walked away so mad that I was shaking. Thank God that I didn't have him sharpen an expensive knife like my Spydie. That's the 1st and last time a machine will touch my knife.

You may believe differently but to me there's too much chance of error. If you mess up and make a bad swipe when you're manually sharpening it's no big deal. OTOH, Just one mistake with a machine can ruin your knife.

But this is just my 2 cents worth. Take it as it is.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Splat

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 08:59:44 AM
I think Spyderco's Sharpmaker is a pretty easy-to-learn system and can give you quality results with very little practice. Now, I've never owned one but I now have a friend who does and he loves it. I've also read very many positive reviews on the Sharpmaker.

After reading Jerry Hossom's "Sharpening My Way" post(s) over at Knifeforums http://tinyurl.com/293nmo  I wanted to try the belt sander for sharpening.  I picked up a belt sander from Harbor Freight for like $40 and some different belts and buffing compound from Lee Valley Tools. Then I didn't do anything for days because I was rereading everything about this method of sharpening. I first tried sharpening some old knives I had in my garage. Within a very short time I got pretty good results. I must have sharpened about 20 old beat-up knives I had laying around in the garage. Then when I felt comfortable enough I sharpened my good knives. Now that I've done it many times I'm getting shaving-sharp edges. I always wanted to learn to sharpen via stones just to say I can do it, but this way works for me and gives me quality edges quickly.
Splat

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 08:38:18 PM
eodtech can I send you my Sebenza for you to sharpen in your new fandangled machine ?  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Then I woke up covered in sweat and realised it was all a bad dream  :D

I don't think I'd even bother to try it as my Sharpmaker gives me the results I want .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD