Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Bow Hunters?

AdmSlc · 25 · 1675

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Any Bow Hunters?
on: December 07, 2015, 03:15:32 AM
I went turkey hunting today. My 5 year old son had a blast!

ca Offline JP

Re: Any Bow Hunters?
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 03:40:01 AM
Good stuff! Any luck?

I acquired an Excalibur Matrix Grizzly this fall. Sat for deer yesterday morning but no action.

Earlier this fall I got out for a morning to hunt turkey. We set up in a good spot before light. The turkeys came off the roost 60 yards away from us. No luck bringing them in and when I tried coming in on them the bush got too thick and I ended up pushing them further away.

Spring turkey opens at the end of April here.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:45:38 AM by JP »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:57:50 AM
That's awesome! I bow hunted a little the last few years with a Matthew's. Only for deer though.

Florida law requires a "Hunter Safety Course" after the age of 18 to hunt alone, yet they don't offer more than 2 local classes with limited seating every year. Totally bogus.

Must be hard hunting what looks like plains?

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 05:05:48 AM

That's awesome! I bow hunted a little the last few years with a Matthew's. Only for deer though.

Florida law requires a "Hunter Safety Course" after the age of 18 to hunt alone, yet they don't offer more than 2 local classes with limited seating every year. Totally bogus.

Must be hard hunting what looks like plains?
Florida hunting law doesn't seem very user friendly.
We were hunting on the edge of a field in northern Utah. The opposite side of where we were at is a huge mountain.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 06:02:21 AM
I'm not a hunter but I enjoy archery.  I have an older Bear compound bow, and a hand made English style long bow that I use for re-enactments.

I was a volunteer instructor for the Florida hunter safety course for a couple of years in the early 1990's in the East Everglades district which includes Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties.  We used to teach a lot of classes. Whenever there was at least 20 people who wanted to take it we would set one up.  Have you asked the local game and fish district about courses?  It seems unreasonable that they wouldn't offer more classes.  They have online courses now that you take whenever you want, and then you just have to show up for a range day.  You only have to take the course once if you're 14 or older and then you're good for life.
http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/courses/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:05:05 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 02:49:39 PM
I'm not a hunter but I enjoy archery.  I have an older Bear compound bow, and a hand made English style long bow that I use for re-enactments.

I was a volunteer instructor for the Florida hunter safety course for a couple of years in the early 1990's in the East Everglades district which includes Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties.  We used to teach a lot of classes. Whenever there was at least 20 people who wanted to take it we would set one up.  Have you asked the local game and fish district about courses?  It seems unreasonable that they wouldn't offer more classes.  They have online courses now that you take whenever you want, and then you just have to show up for a range day.  You only have to take the course once if you're 14 or older and then you're good for life.
Yeah I've spoken to multiple officers to get their opinion but they pretty much all believe that it should be Eglins responsibility. Pretty much everyone around here hunts on Eglin which is federal land. So FWC thinks the Federal should run the courses for us and the Federal thinks it should still be the FWC. Which makes NO sense IMO

Also, the range day is what takes a while unless you know somebody.

My current plan is to take the online course (again) and then take my CCW course which covers the Florida safety and the concealed carry all at once.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:36:32 PM by NKlamerus »

no Offline Grathr

Any Bow Hunters?
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 04:27:01 PM
Looks like you had a great time!

Bow hunting is illegal here   :(
Even bowfishing freshwater fish is illegal here. But shooting salt water fish with bow and arrow is allowed...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:29:01 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:35 PM

Yeah I've spoken to multiple officers to get their opinion but they pretty much all believe that it should be Eglins responsibility. Pretty much everyone around here hunts on Eglin which is federal land. So FWC thinks the Federal should run the courses for us and the Federal thinks it should still be the FWC. Which makes NO sense IMO

My current plan is to take the online course (again) and then take my CCW course which covers the Florida safety and the concealed carry all at once.

If you are willing to drive a couple of hours you can take the hunter safety course or the required range day in another district.  The hunter safety course will qualify you for the Florida concealed weapons permit because the law only requires that you pass a safety course with live fire at a range.  However, conversely, I don't believe a concealed weapons course will meet the Florida hunter safety requirement. You can call and ask them about that.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 05:44:00 PM

If you are willing to drive a couple of hours you can take the hunter safety course or the required range day in another district.  The hunter safety course will qualify you for the Florida concealed weapons permit because the law only requires that you pass a safety course with live fire at a range.  However, conversely, I don't believe a concealed weapons course will meet the Florida hunter safety requirement. You can call and ask them about that.
It does conversely work, there is a specific form you use to connect the courses but I can't remember the name to save my life.

My local FFL printed it out after doing the same research

The online portion is still required again but that's fine with me

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 12:27:20 AM
Looks like you had a great time!

Bow hunting is illegal here   :(
Even bowfishing freshwater fish is illegal here. But shooting salt water fish with bow and arrow is allowed...

Bow hunting is illegal here too. Not deemed humane enough, as a quick kill is less certain than with a rifle

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 12:55:23 AM
Where are you guys from where bow hunting is illegal?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 12:59:02 AM
Nope.  No bow hunter here....

Def
FB_IMG_1449532669819.jpg
* FB_IMG_1449532669819.jpg (Filesize: 105.8 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline JP

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 01:01:48 AM
Well, you need to make a hole for the Vodka to go in the watermelon somehow. Bonus for style points.

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 01:05:19 AM
Nice shot!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:48 AM

I'm from somewhere that once colonised you, and Grathr is from somewhere that once colonised us  :rofl:

I'm in England, and Grathr is in Norway  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 01:09:13 AM
Well, you need to make a hole for the Vodka to go in the watermelon somehow. Bonus for style points.

Good call!  :tu: :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 01:16:37 AM
I have never bow hunted...but I do like archery.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 05:37:45 AM

I'm from somewhere that once colonised you, and Grathr is from somewhere that once colonised us  :rofl:

Reminded me of the time I invited an English friend, John to come over to my house to watch the Independence Day fireworks.  He politely declined, saying he had plans to do what he does every Independence Day, sit alone in his darkened room, and mourn the loss of the colonies.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 06:15:09 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 07:14:32 AM
I used to bow hunt, recurve spot n stalk white tail in the dense woods of NWPA. Then I moved to TX. All hunting here is done on private leases or hunting ranches. Its all pay-to-play and can be quite expensive. For someone from a region where hunting was still a necessity for many to sport hunting its a hard adjustment. I haven't been out for any type of hunting in 6yrs and miss it.
There was a  GC at the local sports store to talk about the regs and licenses I tried to ask about the differences of how and where one hunts here...He brushed me off and told me to just buy a ranch hunt. That's as far as I've gotten lately.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:21:12 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 08:00:07 AM
The Law can be a bit complicated.

As far as I know you can not hunt with a bow, but even if you could most of the game here is the size of sparrows and moves very fast, so I doubt you could  shoot anything.

I think the reason that you are allowed to shoot salt-water fish with a bow and arrow is that basically the speargun is a variation of the bow and arrow, a crossbow if you want, so if you can use a speargun you should be able to use a bow.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:01:08 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 08:51:54 AM
I did it a few times back in the day, the ambush style hunting that suits the bow is not for me. Walk and stalk is way to hard and the margin for error bridges on unethical; sure some people could pull it off regularly but the type of dedication that takes is stretching 99% of people's time and competence.
Walk and stalk with a rifle for me thank you.

I have my Hoyt all setup and shoot it for relaxation on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 12:06:16 PM
Don't get me wrong I like my bow....I love my muzzle loader.
I have plenty of rifles and shotguns but nothing beat PA's late "traditional"season where you were limited to BP, traditional archery, or crossbow.
I've done it with all three. The upside with a bow is you don't have to worry about damp powder in January.

I think of all my gear bow and BP are what I have the most fun with both at the range and in the field.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

no Offline Grathr

Any Bow Hunters?
Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 06:34:34 PM

:rofl: :viking:

The Law can be a bit complicated.

As far as I know you can not hunt with a bow, but even if you could most of the game here is the size of sparrows and moves very fast, so I doubt you could  shoot anything.

I think the reason that you are allowed to shoot salt-water fish with a bow and arrow is that basically the speargun is a variation of the bow and arrow, a crossbow if you want, so if you can use a speargun you should be able to use a bow.

I think so too, but I dont see the logic behind it. They say it is because its inhumane, so apparently salt water fish feels less pain than fresh water fish... Id like to se the research backing that one up.
I think the real reason why they banned fresh water bow fishing was a sneaky stunt by the lobbying flyfishing communities who didnt want to share the rivers with bow fishers. (The bowfishing community was very small here but was on the rise, so they offered very little real resistance)
Hopefully that was not too political
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:37:33 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline JP

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 03:02:41 AM
I am looking to get out this weekend coming with the crossbow.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD