Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Did someone say "Atwood"?

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Did someone say "Atwood"?
on: December 07, 2015, 01:31:27 PM
Yeah, a $3.00 Gerber Shard does the same thing, but why pay your mortgage and buy groceries when you can hoard expensive pry tools instead? 

http://www.atwoodknives.com/

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Did someone say "Atwood"?
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 01:46:23 PM
WOW! Very nice man!
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:55:48 PM
They look amazing PNozzle, but do you have anything to picture them with for scale?

Also, what's the teeny tiny wedgy one in the centre?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:32:23 PM
do you have anything to picture them with for scale?

Note the torx fasteners on this early PS4.

Peter Atwood threw that in as a freebie with one of my purchases.  Its basically a mini pry tool or wedge.  Its probably a piece of scrap metal, which is why it was free!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 04:40:07 PM
That microcard is fantastic. :)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 04:46:29 PM
Not my thing these days as I believe they're overpriced for what they are.

That said, that really is a beautiful collection :tu:
SAW

ca Offline JP

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 05:26:13 PM
They look amazing PNozzle, but do you have anything to picture them with for scale?

Is it one of the "thumbnails"?

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 07:51:01 PM

I'm not sure.  I googled it, but didn't get any love.

I totally agree with them being insanely overpriced from a pure utilitarian perspective.  I have made the same argument about Busse fixed blades, Sebenza folders, and many other "high end" toys.  Atwoods don't pry better than Gerber Shards, and Sebenzas don't actually cut stuff better than Spyderco Delicas.  What people are buying with these expensive toys is, in my view, the good vibes that come from owning and carrying these items.  We are buying "feel good".

I own about 5 Sebenzas.  Half of me appreciates the design, the feel and the superb tolerances.  No other knife feels as tight and smooth as a Sebenza. The other half of me feels like an idiot for dropping $430 on a knife.  So I'm caught halfway between these two world views.  I bought a Les Baer semi-custom 1911 a couple of years ago.  That thing is a joy to play with, but all it really does is go "bang" just like a $450 Glock.  And it weighs twice as much as the Glock and has half the capacity.

Same with the Atwoods.  I no longer carry them, but don't want to sell them either.  I could turn my collection into $1000 or whatever, but then that money would evaporate and in a year I would have neither the Atwoods nor the money. 

Definitely First World problems.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:34 PM
First off great collection of Atwoods  :tu:.  I completely understand the "feel good" statement.  When it comes down to it if you can afford it and it makes you feel good then go for it.  I've come to appreciate some quality items I've bought even tho at the time I shuddered paying for them.  The enjoyment has lasted far longer than the sting of the cost.  The item in many cases has grown in value since as well.   

Total up all the BS bought over the years avoiding buying one quality item.  Plan, save, buy with no regrets.  The item should continue to bring you joy every time you use it or handle it.  Just my 2c.       
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 08:20:56 PM
First off great collection of Atwoods  :tu:.  I completely understand the "feel good" statement.  When it comes down to it if you can afford it and it makes you feel good then go for it.  I've come to appreciate some quality items I've bought even tho at the time I shuddered paying for them.  The enjoyment has lasted far longer than the sting of the cost.  The item in many cases has grown in value since as well.   

Total up all the BS bought over the years avoiding buying one quality item.  Plan, save, buy with no regrets.  The item should continue to bring you joy every time you use it or handle it.  Just my 2c.     
+1
In the long run, cheap tools are more expensive.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 09:22:06 PM
 :drool:   and   :tu:

us Offline David

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:25:37 PM
Nice collection PN!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:19 PM

I'm not sure.  I googled it, but didn't get any love.

I totally agree with them being insanely overpriced from a pure utilitarian perspective.  I have made the same argument about Busse fixed blades, Sebenza folders, and many other "high end" toys.  Atwoods don't pry better than Gerber Shards, and Sebenzas don't actually cut stuff better than Spyderco Delicas.  What people are buying with these expensive toys is, in my view, the good vibes that come from owning and carrying these items.  We are buying "feel good".

I own about 5 Sebenzas.  Half of me appreciates the design, the feel and the superb tolerances.  No other knife feels as tight and smooth as a Sebenza. The other half of me feels like an idiot for dropping $430 on a knife.  So I'm caught halfway between these two world views.  I bought a Les Baer semi-custom 1911 a couple of years ago.  That thing is a joy to play with, but all it really does is go "bang" just like a $450 Glock.  And it weighs twice as much as the Glock and has half the capacity.

Same with the Atwoods.  I no longer carry them, but don't want to sell them either.  I could turn my collection into $1000 or whatever, but then that money would evaporate and in a year I would have neither the Atwoods nor the money. 

Definitely First World problems.

Totally appreciate your comments there Noodle  :tu: For me personally, I just never seen to need a pry thingy. I was gifted an EDCGear Wedgie clone by Sparky at the last UK meet, and it wen ton my keys a few days later and has remained there ever since.

I haven't used it yet  :-\

For those who do use/need them, I totally "get" the functional art aspect of this and other pocket jewellery, but the other point you made of "cheap works fine" means I tend to carry lower value items. I have one semi-custom, a Vagnino Zipslip in D2. My Byrd Tern cuts better and won't hurt as much if lost or damaged.

All that said, there are come nice pieces in that collection of yours, and I do like the mini knife at top left of the first pic  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline JP

Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 12:50:41 AM
I have had several Atwoods. Sold most..... Which I regret. The ones I enjoyed the most were the Titanium Perfbabies. I didn't use them as tools. Just a toy to fidget with while working at my desk.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 07:40:39 AM
I have several keychain tools - nothing really expensive, in the house, the cars etc. but all I end up using them for is to open bottles of beer.

To actually use them I think you need to have just the keychain tool on you, and since I usually have at least a Victorinox Manager/LM Micra and some other knife or SAK on me I tend to forget the keychain tool.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%