Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Ghostbusters

kirk13 · 55 · 4045

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: New Ghostbusters
Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 12:31:04 PM
Hmm. I wonder, if Lara Croft were Larry Croft, would the appeal still be the same?

And back to my thesis, Ghostbusters is just a dumb - though hopefully entertaining - movie, with no social significance.

This may well be the case with Ghostbusters. Other films/shows can have different impact on how people view themselves, others, reality. Senator J.McCarthy knew that...
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 01:36:52 PM
I'm sorry, but there are some things that are better left untouched.

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline firiki

Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 01:44:51 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 01:49:17 PM
Hmm. I wonder, if Lara Croft were Larry Croft, would the appeal still be the same?
Honestly, I think it would have been a great success as a game too... What made that game great was the way you could move without complicated steering, IMO it was a milestone for 3D games in the way Prince of Persia was for 2D (and that one also got a movie adaptation).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 01:49:26 PM

Ahem: Indiana Jones, Alan Quartermaine, Jack Colton (Romancing the Stone), The Librarian, Nate Drake (Uncharted), George Stobbart (Broken Sword) :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:51:37 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 02:22:46 PM
Honestly, I think it would have been a great success as a game too... What made that game great was the way you could move without complicated steering, IMO it was a milestone for 3D games in the way Prince of Persia was for 2D (and that one also got a movie adaptation).

Agreed, Tom Raider opened up new worlds in gaming but I still think Lara played a part too.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:14 PM

Ahem: Indiana Jones, Alan Quartermaine, Jack Colton (Romancing the Stone), The Librarian, Nate Drake (Uncharted), George Stobbart (Broken Sword) :whistle:

Sorry, I'm not following you?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 02:26:09 PM

They are all "male Lara Crofts"... Tomb-raiding, jumping, adventuring, puzzle-solving characters...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:23 PM

They are all "male Lara Crofts"... Tomb-raiding, jumping, adventuring, puzzle-solving characters...

Precisely why I think Lara Croft was a notable exception; the game would have been a success anyway for the reasons Etherealicer mentioned but didn't she offer that little extra something?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 02:39:05 PM
And Sydney Fox was another female Lara Croft.

The point was why would you turn Lara Croft to male or have Indiana Jones to be male... if the character was established some way.

My favourites are the sequels which added other-sex additional characters: Broken Sword 2-5 added Nico and the Librarians added Eve and Cassandra without genderbending the original character...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 02:41:42 PM

Precisely why I think Lara Croft was a notable exception; the game would have been a success anyway for the reasons Etherealicer mentioned but didn't she offer that little extra something?
Not back then... I mean he was quite triangular, if she hugs a smaller person she decapitates him...

gr Offline firiki

Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 02:54:41 PM

Not back then... I mean he was quite triangular, if she hugs a smaller person she decapitates him...

(Image removed from quote.)

:D True but I should think that was a minor detail back then. Her soft voice and the tender emotions she aroused made her lovable to men, is how I see it. Women also liked her as she was a strong character, according to the one female gamer I've ever met.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 03:25:10 PM
I'd say Lara Croft is a perfectly good role model for women, strong, smart, independent etc etc.  I'm not so certain that, having only watched the trailer mind you, that I can say the same of the female Ghostbusters.  So far they look like buffoons to me, and I'm not sure anyone, male or female, should look at that and think "yeah, I want to be like one of them".  The original male Ghostbuster on the other hand were cool.  A little geeky perhaps, but not ridiculous.

I will say that I do think there is a huge gender bias in cinema and that far more strong female leading roles are needed, not just tacked onto a male lead, but heading up the film in their own right.  Also they need to go to someone other than just Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson to star.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:34:43 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 03:32:43 PM

Oook? Ook oookkk Oook! Eeek eeekk!

Oook :shrug:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 03:44:08 PM

gr Offline firiki

Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 04:27:44 PM
And Sydney Fox was another female Lara Croft.

The point was why would you turn Lara Croft to male or have Indiana Jones to be male... if the character was established some way.

My favourites are the sequels which added other-sex additional characters: Broken Sword 2-5 added Nico and the Librarians added Eve and Cassandra without genderbending the original character...

Sydney Fox came after Lara  ;) I liked that show.

In some cases I can see how a gender swap could make sense (for example a strong male character made female could show that not all strong women are bitches but rather they do what they must in a man's world -I feel they're often viewed this way) but in the case at hand with Ghostbusters I feel such a swap probably doesn't add much.

I mean the old Ghostbusters are great, this new one seems like milking old merchandise 'cause we've run out of fresh ideas, 'cause everybody is doin' it, 'cause nostalgia might lure some people in -hey, I know, let's make these new Ghostbusters female, just 'cause, yeah why not, that'd be fun... Still, I have to actually see the film to form an opinion.

Gareth sums up my thoughts nicely (thank you :tu:) and I agree with you, Corwyn, that adding opposite sex characters is fine. I like good duets :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 04:35:36 PM
I'd say Lara Croft is a perfectly good role model for women, strong, smart, independent etc etc.  I'm not so certain that, having only watched the trailer mind you, that I can say the same of the female Ghostbusters.  So far they look like buffoons to me, and I'm not sure anyone, male or female, should look at that and think "yeah, I want to be like one of them".  The original male Ghostbuster on the other hand were cool.  A little geeky perhaps, but not ridiculous.

I will say that I do think there is a huge gender bias in cinema and that far more strong female leading roles are needed, not just tacked onto a male lead, but heading up the film in their own right.  Also they need to go to someone other than just Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson to star.
I like Gina Carano in Haywire and "In the Blood" (not so much in Deadpool, that kind of combat did not suit her).

There are many more Michelle Rodrigues, Milla Jovovich, Kate Beckinsale...

Personally, I always felt that women are not so popular in action movies because they do not commit like men do (meaning there are very few women who actually choose a career as action lady). You go watch a Jason Staham movie you are going to get action go watch a Keira Knigthly movie and you might get Pirates of the Caribbean or Abomination Atonement, Fantasy, Drama, Action, Romance...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:39:12 PM by Etherealicer »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 04:38:39 PM

I like Gina Carano in Haywire and "In the Blood" (not so much in Deadpool, that kind of combat did not suit her).

There are many more Michelle Rodrigues, Milla Jovovich, Kate Beckinsale.

Personally, I always felt that women are not so popular in action movies because they do not commit like men do (meaning there are very few women who actually choose a career as action lady). You go watch a Jason Staham movie you are going to get action go watch a Keira Knigthly movie and you might get Priates of the Carribean or Abomination Atonement, Fantasy, Drama, Action, Romance...
Run Lola Run is a perfect example of a great action movie starring a woman. In fact it's a near enough perfect film!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: March 09, 2016, 04:42:29 PM

Personally, I always felt that women are not so popular in action movies because they do not commit like men do (meaning there are very few women who actually choose a career as action lady). You go watch a Jason Staham movie you are going to get action go watch a Keira Knigthly movie and you might get Priates of the Carribean or Abomination Atonement, Fantasy, Drama, Action, Romance...

I take your point, I even watched Underworld the other day so I shouldn't have forgotten Kate Beckinsale. :-[

Has Michelle Rodrigues had her "own" film?  She's played some great characters in some great films, but I can't think of one where she was the lead.

Even moving away from action films we've got some great roles like Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster and Julianne Moore) but still not enough of them IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 04:54:08 PM

I take your point, I even watched Underworld the other day so I shouldn't have forgotten Kate Beckinsale. :-[

Has Michelle Rodrigues had her "own" film?  She's played some great characters in some great films, but I can't think of one where she was the lead.

Even moving away from action films we've got some great roles like Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster and Julianne Moore) but still not enough of them IMO.
No I don't think Michelle Rodriguez had her own film (except Girlfight), but she has lots of kickass roles (e.g. Machete).

Also, how can one forget Kate Beckinsale :twak: :drool:

I agree though that more action ladies would be appreciated...

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 07:16:20 PM
international trailer is slightly better...

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 07:25:25 PM
Far nicer.. less formulaic... Kristen Wiig was her fun self, it got two chuckles and two scares out of me... let's hope it ends up being closer to this version... "the power of slap compels you" was just jawdroppingly pathetic...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 09:27:26 PM
History..  About 20 years ago I was teaching/lecturing in some colleges/comprehensives in the UK. At that time girls were underachiving and boys had the better grades. So they decided to make schools more girl friendly, removing action books and boy oriented books and activities, and have the same lessons and books and teaching methods for both sexes, ignoring the fact that boys needed different stimuli and learned from different activities than girls.
A few years later everybody was shocked that boys were now underachieving, and girls got better grades.

I remember doing research on that 20 years ago...

You can not level everything and assume that everything has to be pc. Men and women do not think or react in the same way. Also, the people pushing the pc agenta usually have their own, secret agenta too, and are not just trying to help. You also have contradicting and weak research that can be used to support any old rubish.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:21 PM
Of course men and women aren't the same. Individuals aren't the same. Equality isn't about making everybody the same, it's about everybody having the same opportunities in life regardless of gender, race, sexuality, age and physical ability. Why wouldn't you want to live in a society where you have the same opportunities as everyone else?

Political correctness is a great thing, it just happens to have been hijacked by the press to fulfill an agenda to maintain the inequality of the status quo.

Not that this film has anything at all to do with it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

no Offline Grathr

Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 08:35:51 AM

international trailer is slightly better...

That looked a lot better. I hope its a lot more like that.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%