Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking about a Fitbit- advice?

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: Thinking about a Fitbit- advice?
Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:40 PM
One thing not yet mentioned is drinking enough - I've read (can't remember where) that thirst is often mistaken for hunger; as part of my diet change I now make sure I drink about 4 pints of water a day, more if i am physically active. I've found it helps with portion control as well.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 12:41:37 AM
I've thought about starting a topic like this for the last couple of weeks, I've gained quite a bit of weight over the last year, and I'm starting to notice it when I'm putting on my trousers, and like Grant, I hate buying new clothes ...  (when I do go out to buy something new, I end up buying the same pair of trousers 3 times, which my wife hates because other people will think that I'm always carrying the same pair..., women  ::)).

I walk somewhere between 18 and 25 km every day at work, most of the time while pulling or pushing something along, so going for a walk in the evening is not going to help ...

Anyway, I already made up my mind that I'm not going to start right now, because I know I'll probably lose some weight, but at the end of this month there will be at least two special dinners (Christmas and New Years eve), so all the efforts will be in vain.  No, I'm going to start on Januari 1st, here are a couple of things that helped me lose 12 kg about 4 years ago:

- no more daily piece of chocolat
- no more mayonnaise
- less potatoes/meat
- instead eat more vegetables
- eating one plate, instead of 2 or 3 (it helps when you stop eating for 5 minutes or so during a meal, you'll eat less)
- start drinking more water (I don't drink alcohol or things like Pepsi/coke/limonade, I'm already drinking water most of the time, but I should force myself to drink more).
- get on my mountainbike again, and if I can't go for a ride outside, at least get on the hometrainer every other day
- start to run for like 15 to 20 minutes every other day, but I'll have to watch my back (my lower back is not what it used to be ...)

And last but not least, try to chance how I feel, the last couple of years have been quite hard, my boss is trying everything he can to make my life miserable, so I've been feeling quite depressed, so I started to stay up very late, sitting in front of the tele, eating all kinds of unhealthy stuff, and end up sleeping 4 hours or less before I had to get up to go to work again, it's so bad that I can't sleep more than 5 hours anymore, even in the weekends ...  And this must stop now  >:(.

So, I'm going to try to get at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep (even try to build it up to 7 or 8 hours), and instead of lying in the couch watching the tele, get on the hometrainer while watching tv.  Try not to let the situation at work get me down so much. 

And here's something that helped me the last time I lost my 12 kg:

- Set goals, goals that are doable, for example, when I lose my first 4 kg, I'm going to reward myself by getting myself a new Leatherman.  And when I've lost the next 4 kg I'm buying myself a new SAK, ...  (any excuse to get a new tool is a good excuse right  :D).

Anyway, I'm going to bookmark this topic, and januari first I'll post my current weight and the weight that I want to reach here  ;).

Edit: Hopefully others will join ...  :dwts:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:44:18 AM by Top-Gear-24 »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 01:10:47 AM
I find it helpful to have set goals and to see how close I get to achieving them.  I think I'm going to do what I usually do when it's time to start losing weight and cut back on everything. I find that eating more or less what I always do, but in smaller quantities usually helps me get back to about the 190lbs range.  That's still 15 to 20 lbs more than my ideal weight, but it's more tolerable than being over the two hundred mark, at least in my mind.

I'm going to start posting my daily steps and weight here on the forum.  Whoever wants to join in is entirely welcome.  :-D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 12:00:32 PM
Unless it gives you electric shocks if you've been inactive too long or eaten too much cake, it's probably not worth it.
Nah... it should insult people in public places, so you have to run :D

I had a phase where I put everything into a database... In the end I spend more time tracking my activity than being active and that seems pointless too...
I sorta have to eat my own words (at least that won't make me fat)

I got a step-counting watch mid-August (it has no app as the app is linked to my wives company challenge and that one has run out). When I got the watch, I decided to do 15k steps on a workday (exceptions are the days I go fencing) and 20k on the weekend/holiday day. Ever since I started I achieved my daily goal with the exception of one day when I went to see Star Wars (I did run out of time at about 12.8k). It commonly means that I have to do a 1h - 1.5h walk in the evening to achieve my goal.
While I don't measure my weight, I will have to punch a new hole in  my belt soonish, meaning I will have lost about 2.5cm of circumference.

So, a watch alone cannot make you loose weight, but it can make you do more exercise.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 07:52:17 PM
well, during the last year and a half I've gained 25 kg (that's about 50 pounds), mainly due to medication and change of habits, and after my last doctor visit I decided that I'm going to start taking measures after Christmas (the holidays are a horrible time to start taking a new dietary behavior and lifestyle changes, due to all the meals, family get-togethers etc.) for once.

I really feel physically horrible and mentally distressed with how I am now.   :cry:

I encourage you all and I'd be glad to give and receive support in a thread with other members, be it for weight loss, better dietary choices, improved lifestyle habits, exercise or personal health challenges we pursue. :salute:

Thanks for always being so nice and helpful!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 09:34:59 PM
I am seriously considering a Bowflex machine.  I would probably use fitness equipment more if I didn't have to leave the house to do it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 09:51:03 PM
Stop drinking alcohol and sugary drinks, get some more outdoor hobbies you enjoy and actually will follow through, eat more salads and fruit, cut down on meat/cheese/fat, eat less. Get more action/activity :) indoors too.

As motivation, I was reading that  the weight loss also results to a  proportional "equipment" length increase.  Make sure you do not lose too much weight.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 10:58:20 PM
I don't drink much alcohol or sugary drinks any more.

Salads and fruit are probably not likely to happen, any more than I'm likely to cut down on meat or cheeses.  :P

Def

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 01:26:09 AM
Hmm I’m thinking of making a multitool Fitbit group. Who wants to join? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 03:28:22 AM
I'd be in but I don't have a fit bit.  I use my Samsung Gear as a fitness tracker.  I suppose I could look and see if it is compatible with the fit bit challenges.....

I think Detron has a fit bit as he and Megan used to be part of a group.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 11:00:22 AM
I've bought a Fitbit Alta HR for my mum for christmas. She's been going to slimming world for a while now and has lost 2 1/2 stones so far, so now wants to boost it by walking more and wants to track it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 02:56:17 PM
That's great Kevin!

Don't tell Megan, but she is also getting a Fitbit this year for Christmas.  I got her the Blaze to replace whatever one it was that I got her a couple of years ago.

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 10:00:31 AM
I've bought a Fitbit Alta HR for my mum for christmas. She's been going to slimming world for a while now and has lost 2 1/2 stones so far, so now wants to boost it by walking more and wants to track it.
My friend lost over 80 stones... well, technically he didn't loose them, they were removed from his gallbladder and are now safely stored in a plastic tube.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 10:15:01 AM
Not a fan of the fitbit family... they are not waterproof :ahhh
I like the look of the Samsung Gear Fit2, but that one does not appear to be waterproof either.

So now I'm down to Garmin Vivoactive HR, one of the very few that also can track swimming.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 11:15:25 AM
I like the look of the Samsung Gear Fit2, but that one does not appear to be waterproof either.

So now I'm down to Garmin Vivoactive HR, one of the very few that also can track swimming.
They came out with the ionic...

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 12:08:26 PM
If you can, I think exercising with a friend is a better idea.
How about some weights as well since you already walk lots at work?
And avoid low-fat foods as they are invariably high in sugar.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 03:18:20 PM

They came out with the ionic...
The ionic is rather large, fairly expensive (as it is a smarsmurfch and not just an activity tracker) and has not that good reviews. No, if I'm going fitbit, it would rather be the Flex 2, although not showing time is a bit of downer. But to be honest, I'm really undecided at the moment as to what I want.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 06:38:52 PM

The Blaze is rated to 30m for waterproofing, at least according to Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/fitbit-fitbit-blaze-smart-fitness-watch-small-plum-fb502spms-can/10406411.aspx?

ower Type Battery Powered
Battery Life (Typical) 5 Days
Charging Time 2-3 Hours
Charging Method USB
Other Features
Classification Unisex
Alarm Yes
Designed for Sports & Fitness Yes
Water Resistance 30 m
Dust Proof Yes
Number of Physical Buttons 3

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: December 20, 2017, 07:14:27 PM

The Blaze is rated to 30m for waterproofing, at least according to Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/fitbit-fitbit-blaze-smart-fitness-watch-small-plum-fb502spms-can/10406411.aspx?

ower Type Battery Powered
Battery Life (Typical) 5 Days
Charging Time 2-3 Hours
Charging Method USB
Other Features
Classification Unisex
Alarm Yes
Designed for Sports & Fitness Yes
Water Resistance 30 m
Dust Proof Yes
Number of Physical Buttons 3

Def
30m is something that alot of people get fooled with.
It's basicaly no better then splash/shower proof...

ca Offline JP

Reply #49 on: December 20, 2017, 08:07:56 PM
I can help you Grant. Anytime you need motivation just message me and the insults/motivation/can do spirit will spam your inbox!  >:D

I am also well north of 200lbs when I should be around 180lbs. As I get older the extra weight is noticed on the joints.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 08:15:37 PM
If you can, I think exercising with a friend is a better idea.
How about some weights as well since you already walk lots at work?
And avoid low-fat foods as they are invariably high in sugar.
:like:
A few hundred grams of weights on your limbs, I wonder if theres any "catch" though?  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 24, 2017, 01:33:45 AM
If you are looking for something similar to a FitBit, I got Mrs. TJ an activity tracker yesterday that was very reasonable. It was an off brand but seems to be pretty good quality. It goes all the usual count steps, activity, has time, etc. Looks like you can link it up to an app too.

Also, I try to avoid soda and sugary drinks if possible. I try to drink unsweetened iced tea if possible. In the morning, I am going to try switching to honey instead of using sugar in my tea every morning. The toughest part is trying to find something halfway decent nutrition wise at some restaurants. Mrs. TJ and I went to Cheesecake Factory for our anniversary last night and some of their pieces of cheesecakes have upwards of 1000 calories.   :ahhh  Needless to say, her and I split one piece.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:37:39 AM by ToolJoe »
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: December 24, 2017, 06:05:17 PM
Happy Anniversary to both of you!   :tu:

I am happy with the fitness options in my Samsung for now, and I am hoping Megan will be happy with her Fitbit.  The neat thing about the Fitbit isn't the hardware itself (although it is pretty cool on it's own) it's the network that really sells them.  They have access to this huge Fitbit community where you can track your progress against others as well challenging your friends in addition to just keeping track of your metrics. 

I am ok with the Samsung stuff because I have no friends and if I were to get competitive it would probably be all consuming for me.... and probably very unhealthy.   :facepalm:

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #53 on: September 27, 2019, 12:21:34 PM
I picked up a Fitbit Charge 3 last Sunday after learning from my friends wife that it tracks sleep on the app.  My sleep pattern seems awful to me so got one to see how bad I am.

So far so good. I swapped the rubber strap out for a nylon band straight away because I don't like rubber straps.  It's so light I barely notice I'm wearing it so when it vibrates if I reach a goal, it scares me every time.  Battery life is good, it took an hour to charge and after 5 days its at 25% even with me playing with it a lot because it's new.  Screen protectors for it are junk, I tried 3 different ones and water got under all 3 the first time I washed my hands.  The app could be better. If you want to set the Fitbit to 24 hour clock you have to do it on the website and can't do it on the app, but it does let you set alarms, switch watch faces, etc.

The step counter is a bit sensitive and it counts steps sometimes while I'm sat working, not sure yet if I can adjust that.

It's tracking my sleep which is why I wanted it and although I'm only sleeping for an average of 5 hrs 45 mins, when I am asleep it's restful apparently, so I guess I need to figure out how to sleep longer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%