Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to do SAKwiki edits ... part one

enki_ck · 100 · 5940

us Offline s1xty7

Re: How to do SAKwiki edits ... part one
Reply #60 on: December 14, 2015, 08:19:31 PM
The weekends are a busy time, even if its not full of meetings and tickets.

Finished the Wenger 130mm off.  Looks like all that is left for this part is:

- Wenger 85mm: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, +

Seeing that was Wenger's staple for quite some time and they had a propensity for odd models, there's probably more than a few pages that need updating.  We'll get it though.

Edit: Wenger 85mm 1 layer section done.  A quote from Mother Teresa: "We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean."

Done for now.  Maybe more later.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:55:57 PM by s1xty7 »

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #61 on: December 15, 2015, 02:20:21 AM
Hmmm . . . didn't know you could only modify your posts for a certain amount of time.

Anyway, finished the 2 layer Wenger 85mm section.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #62 on: December 15, 2015, 11:06:47 AM
Great job, guys!   :cheers:

You're making me feel embarrassed because I haven't yet had the time to look into editing SAKwiki, though  :-[
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 03:51:10 PM
Wow, I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to even try and edit a page.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #64 on: December 15, 2015, 03:54:31 PM
Great job, guys!   :cheers:

You're making me feel embarrassed because I haven't yet had the time to look into editing SAKwiki, though  :-[

+100......I was all gung ho then just felt too lousy to tackle it.    :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #65 on: December 15, 2015, 05:32:04 PM
Well feel free to have at the Wenger 85mm.  I just happened to have time available on a few days, but that's over for a while.  All day meetings the next few days, work Christmas party tonight, making candles for Christmas presents with my wife, and a new update just came out for a game I like to play so I'll be pretty much useless for SAKWiki for sometime.  Oh, and I suppose I should spend some time playing with my kids. Hah!

As for the editing, it isn't difficult work.  It's just something that needs doing.  After you get a rhythm down you can do a simple page every minute or two.

And then there's the new pages which I don't really have the knowledge to help populate, but you guys will have much more to contribute than I will.  At least I hope I have been of some use to this point.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #66 on: December 15, 2015, 05:53:33 PM
Hmmm . . . didn't know you could only modify your posts for a certain amount of time.

Yup, for security reasons. I think 3 hours after the initial post. There was a member a long time ago that got angry about a comment and started deleting all his replies he ever posted on the forum breaking a lot of stuff and ruining threads that had a lot of useful info. To avoid this from happening again, the time limit was added. But that was before my time.

Well feel free to have at the Wenger 85mm.  I just happened to have time available on a few days, but that's over for a while.  All day meetings the next few days, work Christmas party tonight, making candles for Christmas presents with my wife, and a new update just came out for a game I like to play so I'll be pretty much useless for SAKWiki for sometime.  Oh, and I suppose I should spend some time playing with my kids. Hah!

As for the editing, it isn't difficult work.  It's just something that needs doing.  After you get a rhythm down you can do a simple page every minute or two.

And then there's the new pages which I don't really have the knowledge to help populate, but you guys will have much more to contribute than I will.  At least I hope I have been of some use to this point.

You've done more than a bit, and the wiki is getting back at the good state it was before the unfortunate update breakage. Thank you guys for that. It looks nice again. :cheers:

Never thought we could fix it so fast and am very happy about it, but as was said, there's still loads of other stuff to do there. For one, create the Delemont pages, and tool pages for them as it doesn't make sense to create pages for a "new" brand and have the tool pages link to the Wenger ones, does it? :D

As for making the pages, I don't think that will be too difficult either as most of the text and formatting can be copied from the equivalent Wenger pages and just fix the links so they lead to correct related SAKs and tools.

And we have the whole sakselector.info to fill with missing models and new ones that came out since. We got the script and data from the creator a few months back, but as there are too many projects already in progress, this was put on the back burner.

We'll keep you guys busy if you're interested. :D I'm just happy to have so many guys interested in helping out with the wiki. Maybe we can shape the wiki.multitool.org too to a state it should be. >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: December 16, 2015, 11:36:13 AM
Fives are done. Well apart from a couple minor details. I'll get there.

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #68 on: December 17, 2015, 02:22:36 AM
Wenger 85mm 3 layer section done.  Only a little left now!

- Wenger 4, +

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: December 17, 2015, 08:39:35 AM
+ (6,7,8,9,10 and insane layer) section done.

- Wenger 85mm 4 layer left

hr Offline kari_sak

Reply #70 on: December 17, 2015, 05:54:46 PM
There was some more work on Vic 58 mm, so I finished it today. Only thing left is 58 mm Executive, picture is broken and I can t find it anywhere. Can anybody help?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:58:53 PM by kari_sak »
Kari

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #71 on: December 17, 2015, 06:46:40 PM
Finished up the Wenger 85mm 4 layer section and thought we were done until kari_sak mentioned some left ov3er in the Vix 58mm section which I'll go check.

As for the Executive, I put a placeholder image there for the time being.

Edit: The Vic 58mm ones I checked looked good.  There might be some picture formatting that enki wants to decide if there is a different way to display it, but the edits all look in place.

So, I think we're pretty much done with that piece.  What else do you have, enki?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:51:24 PM by s1xty7 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: December 18, 2015, 03:22:18 PM
There was some more work on Vic 58 mm, so I finished it today. Only thing left is 58 mm Executive, picture is broken and I can t find it anywhere. Can anybody help?

Well I've been hunting for that pic for some time now, no luck. One will hopefully pop up eventually.

The Vic 58mm ones I checked looked good.  There might be some picture formatting that enki wants to decide if there is a different way to display it, but the edits all look in place.

I'll check the 91mm, 58mm and all the Wengers probably throughout the weekend, and do the picture size and placement edits if needed. :salute:

So, I think we're pretty much done with that piece.  What else do you have, enki?

There's still the series pages and the tools pages if you wanna take a look at it and break something. You've been paying around the wiki for some time now and we didn't even have a single major smurf-up till now. >:D

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Series+and+Special+Editions

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Series+and+Special+Editions

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tool+List#Layer_Tool_Details

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: December 18, 2015, 03:24:00 PM
Thanks for all the work you've put into this, guys. :hatsoff:

I'd never thought we could do it so fast. :ahhh

Seems maybe I should start thinking of the second part of the "How to ... "  series. ;)

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #74 on: December 18, 2015, 05:28:58 PM
There's still the series pages and the tools pages if you wanna take a look at it and break something. You've been paying around the wiki for some time now and we didn't even have a single major smurf-up till now. >:D

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Series+and+Special+Editions

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Series+and+Special+Editions

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tool+List#Layer_Tool_Details

I looked at those but they appear to be color coded too.  Do you have a particular look you are after?  You want them to retain the same visual structure as the other knife pages but with a different box color?  Something else entirely?

Its code so nearly anything is possible.

hr Offline kari_sak

Reply #75 on: December 18, 2015, 05:54:39 PM
Thanks for all the work you've put into this, guys. :hatsoff:

I'd never thought we could do it so fast. :ahhh

Seems maybe I should start thinking of the second part of the "How to ... "  series. ;)

Oh dear!

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #76 on: December 18, 2015, 06:40:15 PM
enki, I took a shot at the main Series and Special Editions page (http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Series+and+Special+Editions).  Does this look like something you are after?  I got rid of the red background behind the header text, formatted it similar to other pages, and added a table of contents.  I also did minor cleanup on the listings and we might want to look at making the different lists follow the same format.  Thoughts?

Thanks.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: December 18, 2015, 09:32:27 PM
enki, I took a shot at the main Series and Special Editions page (http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Series+and+Special+Editions).  Does this look like something you are after?  I got rid of the red background behind the header text, formatted it similar to other pages, and added a table of contents.  I also did minor cleanup on the listings and we might want to look at making the different lists follow the same format.  Thoughts?

Thanks.

That looks perfect. :2tu:

I was just experimenting with the color coded boxes when making those pages, trying to match the color with the theme of the series. And it looked good back then. But most of that formatting broke in a bad way with the new software.

Maybe it would be better if we kept the same formatting on all the pages including the series ones. :think: Simpler to do a batch edit later on if that should be needed like in this case.

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #78 on: December 18, 2015, 10:54:03 PM
If you like it, I can do the others the same way.  Give me a go/no go on the colors and I'll try and get started later.

Thanks.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: December 18, 2015, 11:02:02 PM
Go. :D

I'll be free from the 24th till 11th so I'll do the SwissBucks and How to #2 then.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: December 19, 2015, 10:27:47 PM
Vic pages have been checked and fixed if needed. Looks good, guys. :cheers:

I'll try to do the Wengers tomorrow.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: December 20, 2015, 11:40:09 AM
All Wengers except 85mm done.

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #82 on: December 20, 2015, 04:24:51 PM
That's a lot of pages to cover to this point. Also a lot left. They certainly made a lot of 85mm Wengers!

I haven't had much time to put into the other pages but maybe I can squeeze some in later. Definitely maybe.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: December 20, 2015, 05:36:35 PM
Just a few points to keep in mind for future edits.

If there's a picture DIV command in front of the TOC box, move it underneath it. The pictures next to the TOC pox will drag it down and create ugly big gray boxes.

The pics right under the main window can be 320px but the other ones showing specific details or variations lower in the page should be kept at around 250px so not to interfere with the text.

Always check your work. :pok: Click preview before you save, and if the preview doesn't display, as it sometimes doesn't, save, check your work and edit again if needed. If you encounter a page you're having problems with or see something you are not sure how to fix, leave it, report it to me via PM or post it here and I'll take care of it.

And be careful not to accidentally delete portions of the text or leave something out of it while moving. :salute:

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 06:59:42 PM
I'll keep a better eye. I've been putting the image DIVs before the TOC. and I haven't been altering the lower image sizes at all. Hope I haven't caused too much rework.

Also, I preview all of my pages first but that preview function does get annoying when it stops working.

I'm new to wiki editing so the whole thing is a little unfamiliar but I think I'm getting the hang of it.  Do you have a syntax guide I can use when working on the other pages?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:05:54 PM by s1xty7 »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #85 on: January 26, 2016, 03:58:57 PM
Did some formatting/beautifying in the "others" section of the Victorinox sidebar.

When are we gonna see part two? :pok:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: January 26, 2016, 04:45:07 PM
I am still hunting missing pics in the wiki that already are in the gallerie but not linked to anything and added my own pics too

So far, what I've linked :
- Classic SD stayglow (in the 58mm page)
- Ambassador rocket ship in the collection page
- Sentry Nylon scales variant
- Climber Beijing Opera Mask (used the 'in box' picture only)

I didn't find a page about scale materials, is there any?
If not that would be great to have a collection of materials used like nylon, cellidor, alox, stayglow, rock, wood, ... And an example pic for each (and their variants?)
Because sometime you have a model in mind but don't know exactly the number of layers or tools, and the first thing you remind is obviously color/material when it is unusual

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: January 26, 2016, 05:15:22 PM
I agree. What we need next is a tutorial on creating new pages. The Vic 130mm line is completly empty (well except for the 85mm Angler  ???), and there have been a lot of new models that have come out since the last major wave of new pages.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: January 26, 2016, 05:22:50 PM
Oh, and when are we going to start editing the MultiTool encyclopedia? That one needs even more work than SAK wiki. Many tools are missing pages (even really common ones, like the Surge!), and many pages that are there are pretty barren of information....

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #89 on: January 26, 2016, 09:18:34 PM
I haven't helped at all since before the holidays.  At some point I'll probably get back to it.  Adding new pages is likely the biggest job and should be doable if enki has a template and steps.

As for the multitool wiki, yea, I'd be willing to help there too. It's kinda in sad shape, with all respect to the current editors.  Never enough time.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%