Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Porta-tree failure

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Porta-tree failure
on: December 14, 2015, 08:10:21 AM
Hi Everybody

I'm a total hammock convert, but sadly I live in a country where you cannot depend on having fit for purpose trees around.

I've been planning for a while, saw a few Instructables plans, and finally a YT video from somebody not quite my size but still a big dude, he tied one end of the hammock to his truck's rollbar, and on the other end was a broomstick thickness dowel held up by plasticized cable and 2 tent pegs.

I up-sized everything considerably, used considerably thicker wood poles cut down to about 2m with the mounting points just over halfway up. 
The idea was to put the bowline at the top.

First problem turned out to be stretch.

I use thick nylon ropes to hang the hammock, there might be thinner stuff that can take my weight without breaking, but small diameter + my weight turns the rope into a knife.....
The nylon unfortunately has a lot of stretch, played with the angles and got everything as tight a possible, but getting in I was immediately on the ground.....
Move the hammock to the top of the pole, about the height I normally tie it up, tested by pressing down on the hammock..........and immediately snapped the one pole.

Fortunately not much money lost or wasted, but I do need a Plan B......  :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Porta-tree failure
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:44 AM
Trailer tie downs, tow straps, climbing slings?

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:19:10 AM
Sorry plan A didnt work. hopefully you'll come up with some thing. Dont have any ideas to help at the moment. 
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:24:49 AM
Trailer tie downs, tow straps, climbing slings?

I've still got 10m of 1" webbing, considered that as well.....but the poles need a major rethink.

Also important to keep rigging simple, and I need to be able to put it up alone in less than half a day  :P

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:19:39 PM
How portable does it need to be? For car camping?

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:07:54 PM
Correct, I drive a 3dr Toyota RAV(very limited space), so the plan was to put the poles on the roof using some heavy duty sucker cup fishing rod holders.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%