Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacing Surge's serrated blade

Offline galileofigaro

• New User
Replacing Surge's serrated blade
on: January 14, 2024, 08:59:40 PM
I've had the Surge for almost 15 years using all the tools a lot, but the one that I barely touch is the serrated blade. I'd like to replace it with a permanent saw or file in its place. Any solutions I may find out there?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Replacing Surge's serrated blade
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 02:44:39 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: the only saw or file that might fit would be from a Wave or Charge :think: I haven't really ever modded on a Surge before, so others who have may say otherwise :D I forget if the pivot size is different but if not then it would just be a straight swap :tu: of course the liner lock ramp of the tool would be the opposite of the serrated blade otherwise should be fine :cheers:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 08:48:00 AM
Welcome.
It should be straight swap but as Poncho stated lock ramp is opposite side, its bit hit or miss does lock system work correctly, if its too tight you may not able to open or release saw and if you change camfer to other way it will high probability come too loose.

Only Tools Matters

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 10:51:10 AM
G'Day,

I had a quick look and include some pics with a Signal saw and a MUT saw. The Signal saw is the same as the Wave, I don't think the locking mechanism is going to work correctly. The Signal saw is slightly shorter in length around the pivot, hence I think that is will go past the 180 degree opening position. The MUT saw looks like a better fit. I have not removed it but eyeing the tools next to each other shows a closer fit.

Cheers, Pete

* 20240115_204318.jpg (Filesize: 54.15 KB)

* 20240115_204257.jpg (Filesize: 87.45 KB)

* 20240115_204232.jpg (Filesize: 64.52 KB)

* 20240115_204227.jpg (Filesize: 86.98 KB)

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 12:11:39 PM
G'Day,

I had a quick look and include some pics with a Signal saw and a MUT saw. The Signal saw is the same as the Wave, I don't think the locking mechanism is going to work correctly. The Signal saw is slightly shorter in length around the pivot, hence I think that is will go past the 180 degree opening position. The MUT saw looks like a better fit. I have not removed it but eyeing the tools next to each other shows a closer fit.

Cheers, Pete
G'Day,

Cheers, Pete
It looks better but lock system chamfer is upside down like on Wave and Signal, best bet would get saw with shallow chamfer.
As in picture belove shows that serrated blade lock system chamfer is other side compared to example MUT, Wave, Signal and etc.. saw

Only Tools Matters

Offline galileofigaro

• New User
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 01:53:31 PM
wow, thanks for those extensive replies.
As Poncho says the saw blade from Wave is an option, but I may consider getting that particular model since both file and saw blades are permanent, that's a feature I'm looking for. However, Wave comes with the serrated blade I don't use, which is a big bummer for me. Leatherman Garage Batch #005 caught my attention because it has everything I'm looking for and more like spring-loaded pliers and a very sweet belt clip that is attached to screws, not like the Surge's that moves a little and dislodges sometimes when opening adjacent tools. But since the Garage is a 40th-anniversary edition making only 1983 pieces at around $670.00 ea. may be out of my budget. Arc is very similar minus the spring-loaded pliers, something I can live without, costing around $400.00 less is more affordable for me. But its sheath is too big, I guess nothing in this world is perfect, I will have to find an alternative like the Zapwizard, a plastic holster that holds a variety of attachments.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%