Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CIMA P5 Multitool, first look

dks · 16 · 6905

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
CIMA P5 Multitool, first look
on: December 17, 2015, 12:46:59 PM
CIMA P5
This was sent to me for free, from SPAMCORP, because I am beautiful.

The packaging gives this webpage http://fangweima.com/  which is in Chinese and seems to be a quality verification website or something similar, rather than the manufacturer, but what do I know? There are no markings on the tool.
I have taken some comparison pictures and had a look at it but have not yet had the chance to use it hard. I intend to use it for cutting wood, wire, screwing etc. and will post pictures accordingly.

The first problem I had was what to compare it with. At $20 to my door, the only properly branded product would be a SAK, as a LM micra costs about 50 euro here…

So I ignored that and compared it with regard to size and weight.
It comes in a box with a cheap black nylon sheath included.
First impressions were good. It looks well made, with no rough or unfinished parts and I like the nicely polished handles. It is supposed to be mainly SS.

The tools

All outside tools, apart from the blade and woodsaw have halfstop, so they can easily be used at a 45 degree angle.

They are all non-locking, apart from the blade which has a linerlock. The lock feels solid and cannot be defeated with reasonable force.
The blade reminded me of the one on the powerduo and the wave, though it does not look exactly the same as either of them.
Because of the shape of the tool it is very comfortable to use the blade. IT opens easily with one hand.

Comparison

It was sharp enough.

The linerlock, in the middle tool, compared with two other linerlocks.

For comparison I used some more common multitools like the wave, surge, SWIZA, etc.

Weightwise it is between the surge and the wave, lengthwise it is closer to the wave and thickneswise it is closer to the surge.

Size comparison

Tool comparison

Sak-Like opener

Screwdrivers

The awl was a bit lacking.. Very boring design.

The wood saw

The pliers are spring loaded, with a hidden spring.

The alignment was not the best

NOW, the pliers come with what looks like replaceable cutters, like the Rebar/ST300/MUT, BUT there is no screw head to remove and replace the cutters, which makes it seem a bit gimmicky  :D .  I have no idea if they can be replaced.

The site claims that they are 2CR steel, whatever that means, at 62HRC. I will have to cut some hard metal and see.
There are no Ganzo like marking on the pliers, or in any other part of the tool..
The plastic inserts on the handles look good, but are hard and do not significantly improve grip.

The handles open wide and have the same issue that I had with the LIDL tool, in that your hand tends to slip towards the pliers head as you cut.

So far, it looks like a solid enough, low cost, large tool with a decent and comfortable to use blade, but also some weird things, like the replaceable cutters, lots of flat screwdrivers and unimaginative awl/reamer.
The pliers were a bit gritty originally but after a while they felt fine.

I like the fact that it combines large pliers with a large blade.

More to come.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:41:50 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: CIMA P5 Multitool, first look
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 01:42:14 PM
 :salute:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:53:29 PM
 :popcorn:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:16 PM
Boy is it ugly!  >:D
Antonio

us Offline Act2uToo

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:24:29 PM

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:19 PM
It must be the same product.  :)

I have done most of the tests I wanted and I will write a bit more soon. Not bad.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:04:26 PM
I have to say I'll be watching this with interest.

We have a reputation for honest reviews of tools. We have a reputation for honesty full stop. Please don't get me wrong,I'm not casting aspersions on dks.

But given the background to the supply of this tool,I hope the manufacturer understands they won't buy a good review. Leatherman can't! Gerber can't! Victorinox can't!

If the this review ends with with a negative,I hope the manufacturer takes on board to improve their product. If it gets turned on MTo,as others have tried,we will defend our honour and reputation!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:02 AM
I used this in the same way and even harder than I would have used a branded multitool of the same size.
Pliers.

I first cut some 1.5mm steel wire.
This was done easily, both in the hard wire notch and in the regular part of the cutters.

The only visible change was some removal of the coating on the cutters, at the point where I was cutting.

Then I tried to cut stranded wire, 2mm, used for clothes lines etc.
This was not cut properly with the first cut.

I had to turn it and try again 3 times to cut it.

This is a common issues with cutters of that style, which I also face with the LM ST300. However the ST300 has speSmurfpillsed stranded wire cutters too, which work much better.
No major damage, though I think that there was some scratching on the edge.

Then I tried to see whether it could cut the metal, nail part, of rivets.
I used 3 rivets, sized 1.7mm, 2.2mm and 2.57mm.

The 1.7mm and 2.2mm ones were cut reasonably easily.

In both cases one part of the river went flying and I could not be bothered to look for it.
1.7mm

2.2mm

The 2.57mm one proved impossible to cut. I applied force using both hands but the leverage just wanted there (I am not the weakest bloke). I tried the hard wire notch and the regular cutter part.
Here is what it looked like afterwards.

I need to get Tim Leatherman to give me the device he uses to cut nails with his tools, during special demonstrations  :D ..
And the pliers

The pliers still felt as tight as before.

The Saw.

The tool that actually impressed me was the saw. I expected it to be rubbish but I was able to cut the wood I was using really easily (soft pine). It seems to be on par with the established multitool saws, at least on cutting, if not on longevity.

A few seconds work

The awl/reamer
I wanted to start a hole for screwing and used the awl. It worked.

Screwing
I chose a hefty screw and went ahead.
I used the Philips screwdriver.
It fits the screw well.

I managed to screw the screw two thirds in, when I started to feel the screwdriver flexing a bit and slipping. I pushed a bit more and there was some damage to the head of the screwdriver.
The small “flaps”, for lack of a better word, as can be seen have bend a bit.

I then used a proper screwdriver and was able to screw it in a bit more, with effort. I think that the multitool screwdriver was pushed more than necessary, but I had to find its limit. A proper screwdriver, like that of an ST300 would not have suffered any damage, had I applied the same force, but I would not have regularly used a screwdriver of the type found on the Cima with that much force.

I do not like abusing tools and felt guilty for the damage.

I also used the screwdriver on the can opener for a turn, after the main one failed and it did not appear damaged, though I could feel it flexing a bit.

I tried to use the screwdrivers at a 90 degree angle, as they have a halfstop, but that was not very successful. The springs do not have enough strength to support them in that position and they kept closing. A good idea, but only for emergency situations.

I also shaved some wood with the blade, and it was unaffected.

Summarising, I have to say that it appears to be a good tool, for its price point.

It would have been better if it had:
one less flat screwdriver and a more robust Philips,
stronger backsprings,
a better sheath,
better aligned pliers and
a way to replace the cutters.
Also, with a tool like that you only have the sellers guarantee, which will vary from seller to seller.

There are ofcourse a several no brand/Ganzo products at that price point but not many with the hard cutters and interesting looking blade.

Would I buy it? Possibly not, as I have several branded tools that get little use anyway.

However it is cheap, solid enough, especially with regard to the pliers, blade and saw and seems well finished/made. It should serve any non-multitool fanatic well.

It should also serve well as a “beater” tool
, for when you do not want to risk damaging a more expensive tool.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 02:44:33 PM
I was fairly impressed with this tool until its Phillips got damaged. Being one of my most used implements this is super uncool. I do see potential though and wouldn't mind seeing more from this manufacturer.
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:03 PM
Dks can't even do a multitool review without getting round to the topic of "flaps"  ::)

>:D

Nice write up feller  :tu: On the whole it seems quite a capable multitool for the money. I think the biggest hurdle for me might be ergonomics, though as we know, one of the market leaders can't get that right either. It also seems to suffer "Swiza Syndrome" with the tools sitting so high out of the handle. Laid flat that is a very wide multitool, and that's got to have an impact on ergos for a lot of people.

I wouldn't buy one, purely based on my impressions of the ergonomics. If it wasn't for that, then yes I'd be willing to spend $20 on it.

Thanks for the insights and time taken to put this together  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 03:45:24 PM
If I was writing this in Scotland I would have been calling them wee flaps....
The ergonomics for using the tools are better than for the pliers, but even when I was squeezing the handles hard trying to cut things my hand did not slip.

It seems to have been designed so that you can use the knife comfortably, more than anything else.

The Philips screwdriver seems to always be the weak point with cheap Chinese tools.

gb Offline Disorganized Dreamer

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 07:50:07 PM
Interesting find, and what a nice collection!

I think it is distinctive in it's own way - albeit a of a pain in the eyeballs.

Great review!

The saw seems like a winner. The wire cutters could also prove to be better than most, despite their unique non-replecablility-ability

Would be interesting what they come up with next!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:56:21 PM
Thank you.

They make knives too, but I have no idea if they are any good.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 08:30:35 PM
Thank you for the great review!

I am surprised about the somewhat positive thoughts on this tool. With all the problems and nothing really working as designed with the one exception of the saw it seems like a complete failure in my opinion.  :think:

I wouldn't touch this tool with a 10 foot pole let alone spend money on one. Not trying to be a downer, just being honest.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 08:42:30 PM
The blade and pliers worked and the screwdrivers did okish.

For the same money all we get is the Vic classic.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 08:45:48 PM
The blade and pliers worked and the screwdrivers did okish.

For the same money all we get is the Vic classic.

I guess it makes more sense in your location since Leatherman and the like are priced much higher so any options in this price range are gladly welcomed.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD