Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit Pit

AMK · 6 · 3056

gb Offline AMK

Bit Pit
on: December 17, 2015, 04:18:25 PM
I found this whilst looking for something else this morning, at first I thought why bother but on reflection it could be useful for keeping extra bits on a keyring.

But at £7.39 is felt a bit expensive, especially as I can get a standard quick release bit holder for £2.49. So my next little project will be to cut down a spare one and drill it for a split ring. Watch this space for the result.

PS sorry if this has been covered before but the search function came back with nothing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:20:52 PM by AMK »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Bit Pit
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:17:52 PM
I don't think I've ever seen one! Kinda expensive but it at least comes in some color :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 05:47:02 PM
That's sort of cool. 

This is just me thinking, but if it had a 4mm hex end (the end with the keyring), it would be a great way to carry a bit adaptor for a Cybertool.  :)

us Offline yourbadneighbor

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 08:46:50 PM
I am working on one with a quick release and a 1/4 socket drive on the other.  I have a couple friends wanting me to make them for them also,  I will post pics when it is finished. 

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:23:24 PM
Doing it the hardest way possible to save a few quid  8)

This is why economies fail!

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing your custom jobbie.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:52:28 PM
I recently bought a Bit Pit and I'd like to clarify something about it. It's a feature that many people may not have known about or suspected could be an issue.

The Bit Pit is made in Japan, which usually means it will be of a high standard of quality, which I think it is. However, as a Japanese 1/4" hex bit holder, it also means that it is designed to take hex bits of a different design to what most of us are used to. Our 2" long hex bits usually have a deep cut ring just before the back end of them, to allow them to be retained into spring-loaded bit holders and torque wrenches. Japanese 2" hex bits are the same, except that the cut ring is further from the end.

Here is a photo showing the difference:

The Japanese type actually makes good sense, especially for double ended bits, as our ones don't make as much contact with the walls of the bit holder and tend to wobble and wear more quickly. The problem with the Japanese design though, is that a bit holder designed with the deeper cavity needed, shouldn't really be used with shorter 1" long hex bits, as it won't retain them properly.

The Bit Pit has this deeper cavity and therefore isn't great for short bits. I tried a few in it and it would work with them, but the bits, as expected, sit too deep into it, with not a lot of the bit sticking out. I'm not sure how much I'd trust a short bit to stay in place, when the Pit Bit is used on a keychain either.

The Japanese bit holders do still work fine with the other type of long bit though, so as long as the plan is to use 2" or longer hex bits, the Bit Pit will work well.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%