Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Commercial Electric multitool

us Offline jlwatso1

Commercial Electric multitool
on: December 22, 2015, 05:59:24 AM
Picked this up the other day at Home Depot for about $12. I carried it for about a week along with my Surge because I have been looking to incorporate a pair of wire strippers into my EDC via adding another tool or modding my Surge.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 92.66 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 101.72 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 103.46 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Re: Commercial Electric multitool
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:05:55 AM
The strippers are spring loaded which I found to be pretty nifty, but they are not very heavy duty. I have also noticed a bit of a wobble to the strippers after some use. I like the sheep's foot blade and the fact that it has both Phillips and flat head drivers, but the Phillips just seemed to slip a little more than I could accept.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 99.72 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 96.58 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 89.94 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:10:44 AM
I would definitely recommend sheath carry. It is a little heavy in the pocket for my likings. I think it is for a little lighter duty than my work requires, but I still enjoy having it in my collection.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:40:30 AM
Some possible alternatives:

-  SOG wire stripper tool component (not a replacement for the pliers, would go in the handles but I have no idea about fit of the pivot and lock).  NB IRRC not everyone rates them as very good at stripping wires.

-  Buy a Paladin PT-540 (not easy to find or cheap, but they do come with robust wire strippers in the pliers).

-  Just carry an extra E4 or ES4 (they are pretty small and light, and if you are already carrying a Surge around you aren't likely to even notice them)   :pok:   :D

Upon this suggestion I have now purchased a PT-540, and want a ES4 even more so... Then lowtech offered to send me some SOG wire strippers to try and incorporate into my Surge and then Theo suggested checking out Bear and Son wire stripper based model I may break down and buy as well.

There sure are a lot of knowledgeable people on this sight!  :tu: though I haven't been a member long, I feel very connected! It seems like a very tight knit community. :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:10:29 AM
It looks similar to the Buck Xtract
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 02:15:45 PM
Yah, it kinda does, but the Buck Xtract looks a little more heavy duty. Especially when it comes to the pliers. I also wish it had scissors like the Xtract.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%