Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Too much?!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Too much?!
on: December 29, 2015, 10:37:15 PM
This military antiques (a fancy term for surplus store)dealer  is selling these rusted out post-WWII British Army knives for $20 a pop.  I've seen knives that were slightly rusted for $5 at antique stores and flea markets (I got one for $4 this way, an Imperial Stockman pattern slipjoint, rehabbed it, and it's been an excellent knife). I see British Army Knives at $40 to 50 in used, but taken care of shape with only patinas, not rust. 

There's a huge difference between untouched pristine and untouched neglected crap.  They should be practically giving these things away in this shape. In other words, free with any order.

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-british-wwii-type-infantry-clasp-knife-untouched-condition.html#tab-reviews

If it is worth this price, could the rust have damaged the springs to the point the knife isunusable?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:50:42 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Too much?!
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:14:01 AM

I guess the 40-50 dollar knives have more collectable/older dates?

I don’t think the rust will have done any great damage to these knives,
Sometimes the back springs have been known to break (over hardened?)
They have the nickname ‘nail breakers’   :ahhh

I think 20 bucks isn’t a bad price for a ‘new old stock’ knife
You could probably find one over here cheaper but then you have to add in the P&P

:pok: Go on get yourself one as a project
Everything’s adjustable

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:58:16 AM
The one pictured in their ad looks far from being,"untouched". The blade edge is supposed to be straight across and that one looks like it has been repeatedly sharpened by someone who doesn't have a clue about sharpening knives. I have several in my accumulation of knives and most are in much better shape and I have never paid more than $15 for one. JMHO
MilitaryFolders 003.jpg
* MilitaryFolders 003.jpg (Filesize: 53.42 KB)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 02:34:14 PM
The one pictured in their ad looks far from being,"untouched". The blade edge is supposed to be straight across and that one looks like it has been repeatedly sharpened by someone who doesn't have a clue about sharpening knives. I have several in my accumulation of knives and most are in much better shape and I have never paid more than $15 for one. JMHO

Exactly what I thought.  I knew they weren't "untouched" when I saw the blade.  It looked just like some knives I had (and attempted to sharpen with a pull-through) when I was younger.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%