Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alan K. January Challange SOG PowerLock

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Alan K. January Challange SOG PowerLock
on: January 01, 2016, 08:42:07 AM
Happy New year everyone!  The first useful task accomplished this month with my PowerLock is done and on the books.  I used it to open some bottles to bring in the new year with a toast.

P1100469.JPG
* P1100469.JPG (Filesize: 322.48 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Re: Alan K. January Challange SOG PowerLock
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 12:08:24 AM
I hate to seem like I'm copying somebody else, but by some strange coincidence, I also had to replace a ceiling fan today.
PLday2.JPG
* PLday2.JPG (Filesize: 172.18 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:55:23 PM
I hate to seem like I'm copying somebody else, but by some strange coincidence, I also had to replace a ceiling fan today.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I didn't have any on the porch to begin with... So we're cool.  :D  It's funny how stuff like that happens. I had a water pump go out a on a truck I had quite a few years back and a coworker helped me replace it. Then his went out about a week later. Then the same thing happened with the fuel pump. Oddly... He quit helping me with stuff. :think:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:27:16 PM

Well if it makes you feel any better, I didn't have any on the porch to begin with... So we're cool.  :D  It's funny how stuff like that happens. I had a water pump go out a on a truck I had quite a few years back and a coworker helped me replace it. Then his went out about a week later. Then the same thing happened with the fuel pump. Oddly... He quit helping me with stuff. :think:

I ain't superstitious. Bring it!  Today I used the PL to get my smoker fired up so I could char some ribs.  About 5 mins after I took that picture it started raining.  :( ::)
PLday3.JPG
* PLday3.JPG (Filesize: 294.68 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:41:37 PM
It's the simple things that mean so much.  Today my PL made my life easier by cutting off a childproof cap so I don't have to argue with the stupid thing to take my daily vitamins.

PLday4.JPG
* PLday4.JPG (Filesize: 257.63 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:50:01 AM
Not a drop of rain today so I was able to grill the ribs.  They turned out great.
PLday4-b.JPG
* PLday4-b.JPG (Filesize: 430.59 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:15:05 PM
Looks good!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:48:39 PM
Civic-minded PowerLock went to pollworker training today to work on the elections in March.
PLday5.JPG
* PLday5.JPG (Filesize: 182.9 KB)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:50 PM
Great challenge so far!!! :tu:

Keep up the good work :D
SAW

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 03:43:37 AM
Spent Wednesday and Thursday in Key West.
Yesterday, January 6th saw the Powerlock following a long standing tradition of drinking a frozen peppermint schnapps in honor of the late Capt. Tony Tarracino who left us in November 2008. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/15/AR2008111502324.html
PLday6.JPG
* PLday6.JPG (Filesize: 211.72 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 03:47:21 AM
The view from my balcony when I got up this morning along with the cigar that I cut with the PowerLock for breakfast.
PLday7.JPG
* PLday7.JPG (Filesize: 209.09 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 03:51:39 AM
And one more for all of you in the cold and blustery north, here's what was on my phone as I was smoking that cigar and drinking my coffee.
P1100492.JPG
* P1100492.JPG (Filesize: 167.86 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 04:56:15 AM
Very nice. Nothing like a nice cigar in a tropical setting
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 06:55:00 AM
Very nice. Nothing like a nice cigar in a tropical setting

It's one of my favorite things.   :salute:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 12:23:47 PM
The view from my balcony when I got up this morning along with the cigar that I cut with the PowerLock for breakfast.
That's what I'm talking about! Nice pic.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 02:43:53 AM
Back to the daily grind and that means I had to sort out my everyday carry EDC items.

I note for the record that the Myerchin rigging knife in the picture was only photo bombing the rest of the group and won't be allowed to be an actual part of the group until the end of the SOG January challenge.
PLday8.JPG
* PLday8.JPG (Filesize: 338.93 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 05:43:06 AM
I know when you buy something used you're supposed to buy the item, not the story.  I bought my PowerLock because I wanted it and whatever background story I got from the seller didn't make too much difference.

I was told that he got it as a gift, new in the package, played around with it for maybe a week, and then stuffed it away in a drawer for over a year until he decided to sell it.
When I got it, it looked brand new.  Didn't have a mark on it, and the Powerplay leather sheath with the driver adapter in the bottom also looked brand new.  So that much of the story might have been true.

It has the full length covers, gear covers, hex head bolts, and simple locks.  The strange thing is it is supposed to be an S-60 which is supposed to have the partially serrated blade and my PL has the straight blade.  That's not the only strangeness.  It is also missing a vent hole in one of the handles, and the 1/4 inch driver locks at both 90 degrees and 180 degrees.  I examined a newer S-60 and the 1/4 driver only locked all the way out, at 180 degrees.  I'm not complaining, I'm very happy with it, I just think it is not a normal and usual PowerLock S-60.  It is an S-60 with personality.
PLday9c.JPG
* PLday9c.JPG (Filesize: 213.23 KB)
PLday9.JPG
* PLday9.JPG (Filesize: 205.34 KB)
PLday9b.JPG
* PLday9b.JPG (Filesize: 144.37 KB)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:45:55 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 04:33:24 PM
There seems to have been A LOT of fluctuation in PowerLocks. Mine is very similar to what you are describing. Except for the full length handle covers. But it also has the multi angle 1/4" adapter, PE blade, full-size gear covers, simple locks, and hex head bolts. The strangest thing on yours (IMHO) is the missing vent hole!

In addition to the file, saw, and blade, does yours have scissors, v-cut, or serrated blade? Sorry if I missed it earlier.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 06:29:54 PM
I have the scissors.  Typical load out for the S-60 (except for the straight edge blade) according to SOGs Multi-Tool Component Chart which I think we have on here somewhere. If we don't have the chart it's here: http://www.sogknives.com/mt-chart.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 06:32:29 PM
Day 10, PL wants to go outside to play, but it's raining.
PLday10.JPG
* PLday10.JPG (Filesize: 144.07 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 04:30:44 AM
If I just sat on the ground to pull weeds I might have to call for a crane to get me up. The knees just aren't what they used to be. So, I bought this rolling garden seat with tool tray and basket from Northern Tool back in August. Today I used the PowerLock to adjust the steering linkage, which I apparently over tightened when I put the thing together.  Not my fault, really. The instructions were just illustrations and they didn't indicate how tight to make it.  If anyone else gets one of these, I also found that the tool tray had to face the opposite direction indicated in the instructions or the wheels would rub on it.
PLday11.JPG
* PLday11.JPG (Filesize: 160.98 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 07:56:22 AM
After speaking with diverse speSmurfpillsts over many years I have come to the conclusion that the type of person that uses a SOG PowerLock is very likely to also still prefer a mini-mag flashlight, because they just work. 

I'm talking about the sort of person who works far afield and can't pop into the office for tools or spare batteries all the time. Some of the people I spoke to who said they preferred mini-mag flashlights were mining and drilling engineers, tower technicians, and blue water sailors just for a few examples.

So, today's picture shows my PowerLock with the ridiculously huge PowerPlay sheath (that I don't use because it's too big) and my limited edition brass mini-mag flashlight (that I hardly ever carry because it is too heavy).  They do make a cool picture though.
PLday12.JPG
* PLday12.JPG (Filesize: 261.51 KB)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:57:57 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 09:17:30 PM
I had to tighten some hardware on my 1970's era kitchen cabinets with the brown Plexiglas windows.  They are so old and ugly that I no longer have to replace them because they are now considered vintage or retro. :facepalm:
PLday13b.JPG
* PLday13b.JPG (Filesize: 176.48 KB)
PLday13.JPG
* PLday13.JPG (Filesize: 202.22 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 07:28:38 PM
I needed my SOG PL to remove a cross threaded valve stem cap so I could put some air in a tire.  I have strong hands but I couldn't get enough leverage to remove that cap in the confined space where I couldn't turn my whole hand.  I think this challenge is training me to take better pictures with my left hand too.
PLday14.JPG
* PLday14.JPG (Filesize: 136.45 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 05:19:43 AM
Day 15, I hit the wall.  I got up early this morning to go to the doctor's and as I dressed I noticed it was a dreary, gray, and wet kind of day with the forecast calling for wind and rain pretty much the whole day, and without thinking I said to myself today feels like a Rebar day... Then I remembered the challenge.

No!!!!!  I.......must......resist......must.....be......strong.....must find PowerLock.

(in my head, that inner monologue sounded like Captain Kirk)

Anyway, I managed to get over the wall and went through another typical day.  The PowerLock in my pocket all day and on the desk in front of me now.  Nothing exciting to report, just opened a package today.
PLday15.JPG
* PLday15.JPG (Filesize: 215.13 KB)

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 05:57:18 AM
Day 15, I hit the wall.  I got up early this morning to go to the doctor's and as I dressed I noticed it was a dreary, gray, and wet kind of day with the forecast calling for wind and rain pretty much the whole day, and without thinking I said to myself today feels like a Rebar day... Then I remembered the challenge.

No!!!!!  I.......must......resist......must.....be......strong.....must find PowerLock.

(in my head, that inner monologue sounded like Captain Kirk)

Anyway, I managed to get over the wall and went through another typical day.  The PowerLock in my pocket all day and on the desk in front of me now.  Nothing exciting to report, just opened a package today.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who talks to themself. :rofl:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 06:03:15 AM
It's OK as long as you're not answering yourself.  Then we worry.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 09:44:03 PM
Bacon!
PLday16.JPG
* PLday16.JPG (Filesize: 228.08 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 02:46:11 AM
I just bought a $180.00 Litermaid electric cat box on sale for $130.00.  It is my third in nearly 30 years as they seem to last about 10 years.  The last one died a week ago.  While I was out I also picked up 140 pounds of cat liter.  The girl at the register at the pet store looked at me kind of weird for buying that much cat liter so I shrugged my shoulders and said in my most nonchalant tone of voice, "mountain lion."

These critters of mine are almost as expensive as children but at least I don't have to send them to college.
PLday17.JPG
* PLday17.JPG (Filesize: 170.38 KB)
PLday17b.JPG
* PLday17b.JPG (Filesize: 128.41 KB)
PLday17c.JPG
* PLday17c.JPG (Filesize: 161.59 KB)
PLday17d.JPG
* PLday17d.JPG (Filesize: 53.19 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 02:37:32 AM
Had time on my hands today.  What can one do with too much time on their hands, a bag of fence ties left over from a fencing project, and a SOG PowerLock?  I'm going to drag this out for a couple of days, because I took a picture at each step and there's too many to post in one day.
PLday18.JPG
* PLday18.JPG (Filesize: 206.57 KB)
PLday18b.JPG
* PLday18b.JPG (Filesize: 110.76 KB)
PLday18c.JPG
* PLday18c.JPG (Filesize: 108.73 KB)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:43:05 AM by Alan K. »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00