Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alan K. January Challange SOG PowerLock

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Alan K. January Challange SOG PowerLock
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 09:38:16 AM
The next three steps, or next three folds of the fence tie if you prefer, and we're almost done.
PLday19.JPG
* PLday19.JPG (Filesize: 124.5 KB)
PLday19b.JPG
* PLday19b.JPG (Filesize: 140.77 KB)
PLday19c.JPG
* PLday19c.JPG (Filesize: 141.48 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 06:51:37 AM
Last folds complete. It's an aluminum fence-tie pocket dangler.  Just add a fishing swivel and attach it to a knife.  I actually made the dangler attached to the knife in the picture several months ago but I wanted to make another one for the challenge.  I have used the one attached to that knife many times, just as you see it.  The last picture is the dangler as it hangs on my pocket. 
It looks like it has sharp pliers-marks that might snag on material, but that's just a trick of the light as it is smooth to the touch.  I smoothed it with the SOG file, by the way, which worked just fine for that purpose.  Best of all is the bag of fence ties have been on a shelf in my tool room for about 10 years and I never saw a pocket dangler before I saw them here on this site.
PLday20.JPG
* PLday20.JPG (Filesize: 222.88 KB)
PLday20b.JPG
* PLday20b.JPG (Filesize: 217.33 KB)
PLday20c.JPG
* PLday20c.JPG (Filesize: 328.63 KB)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:52:47 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 07:37:39 AM
That fence-tie dangler is awesome. Good job!
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 08:21:47 AM
Thanks. I never knew I needed pocket danglers before seeing them here.  Didn't know I needed a bunch of other MT's and knives either for that matter.  Since lurking for several months before I signed up I reckon this site has cost me a few hundred dollars that I wouldn't have otherwise spent.  At least I'm not buying pocket danglers.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 02:49:57 PM
Don't plan on doing anything exciting today, so, another glamour shot.
PLday21.JPG
* PLday21.JPG (Filesize: 280.6 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 09:37:25 PM
I hadn't planned on doing anything, but I used the scissors to open a snack.
PLday21b.JPG
* PLday21b.JPG (Filesize: 235.45 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 07:58:09 PM
I received another package today.  Opening packages is something I would use the V-cutter for if I had the V cutter, but then I wouldn't have the scissors.  There was a thread on here, not long ago, asking which was the better option and I voted for scissors.  I stand by my decision.  Getting so many packages in the last few weeks though has me really wishing for that V-cutter. 
PLday22.JPG
* PLday22.JPG (Filesize: 177.39 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 01:30:06 PM
Trying a new hot sauce today. :drool:
PLday23.JPG
* PLday23.JPG (Filesize: 148.51 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 02:51:34 PM
Trying a new hot sauce today. :drool:
I love hot sauce. Nothing seems to be able to knock Hoy Fung Sriracha off its throne in my house. It is way hot, and not too salty or acidic, like many hot sauces tend to be.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 08:49:03 PM
I have an almost empty bottle of Sriracha around here too.  Different hot sauces have different flavors that compliment different foods.  This one was flavorful but not especially hot.  I like the heat.  I even sprinkle Cayenne pepper on orange slices and on peanut butter sandwiches.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 12:17:48 AM
Day 24
I was mowing my lawn this evening, and the height adjustment lever on the mower kept slipping. I used the nose of the PowerLock to kind of force it back into position.  The locking mechanism is just a nub that should lock into a hole but the nub is not elongated enough to keep it from popping out.  Eventually, I will drill through the nub and put a bolt through the lever that will be long enough that it shouldn't pop out, but I have had this mower for a year and I've been saying that for almost as long. 
PLday24.JPG
* PLday24.JPG (Filesize: 269.29 KB)
PLday24b.JPG
* PLday24b.JPG (Filesize: 166.42 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:18 PM
Day 25

Continuing the yard work theme, here's the PowerLock loosening a wing nut on my pole saw so I could cut down some palm fronds.
PLday25.JPG
* PLday25.JPG (Filesize: 214.06 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 01:06:28 PM
One of the castors on my office chair came apart yesterday and when I went out to buy a replacement I couldn't find one the right size.  I guess my chair is so old that parts are no longer the standard size.  I had to fix it by drilling out the castor and putting a bolt through it.  To keep the nut from coming off the bolt I drilled through the bolt and nut and put a nail through them since I didn't have a cotter pin.  I used the PowerLock to bend the nail so it wouldn't come out or cut my feet.
PLday26.JPG
* PLday26.JPG (Filesize: 163.5 KB)
PLday26b.JPG
* PLday26b.JPG (Filesize: 136.34 KB)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:43:42 PM by Alan K. »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
One of the castors on my office chair came apart yesterday and when I went out to buy a replacement I couldn't find one the right size.  I guess my chair is so old that parts are no longer the standard size.  I had to fix it by drilling out the castor and putting a bolt through it.  To keep the nut from coming off the bolt I drilled through the bolt and nut and put a nail through them since I didn't have a cotter pin.  I used the PowerLock to bend the nail so it wouldn't come out or cut my feet.
Havent you heard of loctite?

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:39 PM
I have heard of Loctite.  I have a bottle of blue Loctite here that I could have used.  I just didn't think to use it.  Besides, it gave me another project I could do with my PowerLock. :multi:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 07:56:16 PM
I have heard of Loctite.  I have a bottle of blue Loctite here that I could have used.  I just didn't think to use it.  Besides, it gave me another project I could do with my PowerLock. :multi:

Yeah, finding appropriate tasks is my biggest problem. I live small and have a fairly extensive collection of tools. It feels kinda odd to go out of my way to use the inferior multi-tool versions with a full-size tool meant for the work basically at arms reach.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 09:06:02 PM
The reason I asked was because you took the time to drill a hole through a bolt so that you could then stick a nail in it. Unless you were looking for an excuse to use your drill, and then its all cool by me.  :multi:

I just feel like that was a lot of work when there's loctite nearby.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 10:17:56 PM

I am correct in assuming that you discovered the faulty castor when you tried to scoot across the room and you back-flipped out of your chair when it failed? Because that's how I usually discover faulty castors :rofl:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 12:21:02 AM

I am correct in assuming that you discovered the faulty castor when you tried to scoot across the room and you back-flipped out of your chair when it failed? Because that's how I usually discover faulty castors :rofl:

Yeah, it was something like that.  Me at my most graceful and acrobatic.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 03:14:30 PM
It's raining this morning as it always does when I have work to do outside.  So you will all have to be content with pictures I took yesterday afternoon.  These are orchids growing up the trunk of one of my Florida Live (white) Oak trees.  These orchids will put out a stalk about 10 feet long that will have a clump of light brownish / whiteish flowers at the end.  I've been warned that having brownish flowers is rare, so I should watch out for poachers when the orchids are in bloom.  Some people have to have them, and will brazenly come up and try to take a cutting.
PLday27.JPG
* PLday27.JPG (Filesize: 198.97 KB)
PLday27b.JPG
* PLday27b.JPG (Filesize: 165.2 KB)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 28, 2016, 04:17:30 AM
Great pics! Orchids are my Wife's favorite flower :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #51 on: January 28, 2016, 08:45:14 AM
I was going to post this later, but I couldn't hold out any longer. I have to share.
Check out what the postman brought me yesterday afternoon.  I used the PowerLock to open the padded envelope, and...  :climber:

PLday28.JPG
* PLday28.JPG (Filesize: 209.11 KB)
PLday28b.JPG
* PLday28b.JPG (Filesize: 214.17 KB)
black and red.JPG
* black and red.JPG (Filesize: 224.86 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: January 28, 2016, 05:08:34 PM
Nice haul! Two classic SDs, and a couple Climbers/Campers/SuperTinkers?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #53 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:46 PM
They're both Huntsmen.  I wanted the combination of a saw, scissors, and a corkscrew because that's often what's missing from tool based MTs.  Well, the saw may be redundant, but Victorinox makes such a good saw I didn't want to not have it. Now If I carry one of these as a companion piece when I'm carrying a tool based MT such as a Rebar or a Mr. Pinchy, I'm pretty well covered for all contingencies.  I can do almost anything...  Except...  I can't hold a nut while turning a bolt.  To do that I would need an SAK with pliers.

Damn it!  Now I have to go get an SAK with pliers.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :whistle:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:27:07 PM by Alan K. »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 28, 2016, 09:51:16 PM
They're both Huntsmen.  I wanted the combination of a saw, scissors, and a corkscrew because that's often what's missing from tool based MTs.  Well, the saw may be redundant, but Victorinox makes such a good saw I didn't want to not have it. Now If I carry one of these as a companion piece when I'm carrying a tool based MT such as a Rebar or a Mr. Pinchy, I'm pretty well covered for all contingencies.  I can do almost anything...  Except...  I can't hold a nut while turning a bolt.  To do that I would need an SAK with pliers.

Damn it!  Now I have to go get an SAK with pliers.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :whistle:
Sounds like you want a Wenger Security 52 :tu:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #55 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:01 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
That's very nice.  Just about perfect I think.  :tu:  :gimme:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 28, 2016, 11:08:32 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
That's very nice.  Just about perfect I think.  :tu:  :gimme:
Hehe

:assimilate:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #57 on: January 29, 2016, 07:28:17 PM
Day 29
Two more days to go!  I'm just sitting here in my office, looking out the window, and thinking about the stuff I should go ahead and do outside since it finally stopped raining. Maybe I'll get to some of that after I finish my coffee.
PLday29b.JPG
* PLday29b.JPG (Filesize: 260.16 KB)
PLday29.JPG
* PLday29.JPG (Filesize: 130.71 KB)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:33:41 PM by Alan K. »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #58 on: January 30, 2016, 07:16:05 PM
Day 30, 1 more day to go.

It's a beautiful day in South Florida.  68 degrees and sunny.  No work to do (that I want to do) so, the PowerLock is hanging out in the Gumbo Limbo tree. :D :cheers:
PLday30c.JPG
* PLday30c.JPG (Filesize: 273.97 KB)
PLday30b.JPG
* PLday30b.JPG (Filesize: 231.6 KB)
PLday30.JPG
* PLday30.JPG (Filesize: 259.7 KB)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:18:31 PM by Alan K. »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #59 on: January 31, 2016, 10:57:48 AM
A little before 0500 and I'm getting ready to start my day.  I love the smell of the coffee when you first open a new package.  I hope you all have a great day, 'cause I know I'm going to as soon as I can get a fresh pot of coffee brewing and a couple of eggs in a pan.
PLday31.JPG
* PLday31.JPG (Filesize: 212.05 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44