Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tanto blades

Benner · 18 · 2631

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Tanto blades
on: August 27, 2008, 07:01:35 PM
It seems to me that tanto styled blades are a bit of a love/hate thing.  So I'm curious, what do you guys think about the tanto?
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Tanto blades
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:03:10 PM
They are good for cutting steak on dinner plate, because you won't dull the edge. Although using a big one in a restaurant may get you kicked out.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:08:04 PM
What did i say Ben :D,they hate everythin :D

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:55:40 AM
I don't mind the overall design of a tanto but the tip usually really gets at my nerves... hate the penetration, or lack thereof.
Got those frog legs.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 07:51:29 AM
It seems to me that tanto styled blades are a bit of a love/hate thing.  So I'm curious, what do you guys think about the tanto?

I carried a Cold Steel Tanto folder for nearly 10 years, until it was stolen out of my car.  ;<

Tanto = thick blade well suited for heavy duty stuff.

It was one of the 1980s CS Tantos with the rubbery, checkered Kraton grips, but without one hand opening.

A very tough knife with a thick blade and super-solid lockup.  Took and held a razor edge, and I found the tanto blade style to be fairly easy to sharpen.

After 10 years of hard use (split a lot of thick sticks for firestarting) the checkering on the grips had worn down, but it still locked up tight as when it was brand new.

Anyway, I used that knife for lots of hard work and I loved the tanto style blade.

N

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 06:25:34 PM
Loved the style I have had a few tanto blades nothing of high quality (CS etc) but when I realised that I would never really need to silence a sentry etc I found them sort of awkward for general use

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 06:37:13 PM
I have two tantos, one I like and the other one no real keen on it. My Kershaw Blur is a nice taper or modified tanto that makes a heck of a slicer. My SOG Twitch XL tanto is nice but it seems like its not the right style for that knife, it works ok but just plain looks funny.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:03:07 PM
This is an image by someone else of one of the tanto folders that i have, an older style Strider GB.
S30V blade hardened by Paul Bos (still has his stamp on the ricasso) and a handle made from grippy G10 with thick titanium liners.

Although rather big it is a very good outdoor knife, and sturdy enough to use as an axe to cut down small trees, even though it's only a linerlock.

-Because of the broad primary point, penetration of tough stuff will not harm it as quickly as it will a fine clip-point.

-The primary edge is quite thin, shaving sharp and completely straight, and acts more or less like a Wharncliff blade, in that stuff that needs to be cut has a tendency to stay on the edge instead of sliding off, like it has with a bellied blade.

-The secondary edge (the slanted portion) is also shaving sharp, but more obtusely sharpened so it will withstand abuse better than the primary edge.
It''s good for things like cutting harder stuff and scraping.

- The secondary point (the transition between primary and secondary edge) is perfect for careful superficial cutting, when you don't want to cut to deep, and cutting on a cutting board.

All this coupled with a literally bombproof design makes this one my to go 'pocketknife' when i go into the woods.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:33:57 AM by kwakster »

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 08:23:59 PM
well ill be damned,Kwakster,that is so stylish knife,and yet looks very useable.
are they in what pricerange and where do they sell those.
its nice mixture of outback knife and tactical.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 08:26:31 PM
I cant say for sure, but I'd imagine that it is very expensive.  :o  £hundreds.
I'm back!!

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:15:26 PM
The Strider GB model costs exactly 400 dollars, no matter which shop you buy from, because of fixed pricing.
I got this one in a trade much cheaper because it had a very sloppy lockup, which i could fix very easily.
Now it's perfect, :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:59:17 AM
I'm confused & angered by the "Tanto" blade, but I've never used one, so my opinion ain't worth jack.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 02:30:49 PM
I'm confused & angered by the "Tanto" blade, but I've never used one, so my opinion ain't worth jack.

May i ask why you are confused and angered of a 'Tanto' blade ?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 12:56:38 AM
It's goofy lookin'! hyuk hyuk hyuk.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 03:13:07 PM
A lot of people dislike the tanto blade.  I love it and I'll now tell you why.  I love spending time outdoors.  I study survival and bushcraft trying to learn everything that I can even though I hope that I never need those skills.  Everyone knows the importance of a sharp knife and they also know that a dull knife is nearly useless.  A tanto blade will cut anything you need to cut and because the tip is relatively strong you can use it to pierce or drill things easily without breaking the blade tip.  It is also easily re-sharpened due to its more squate geometry.  Would it be ideal for skinning a deer, no but you could sure cut some meat off of one if you needed to and do anything else for that matter.       

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 10:05:33 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts guys.  After looking into folders and blade styles recently I have mixed emotions on tanto blades.  Some tanto's look ideal, but some look pretty useless for EDC as the point is very central on the blade.  As tanto's go, I think the one on my Cold Steel Voyager is ideal.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 10:31:20 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts guys.  After looking into folders and blade styles recently I have mixed emotions on tanto blades.  Some tanto's look ideal, but some look pretty useless for EDC as the point is very central on the blade.  As tanto's go, I think the one on my Cold Steel Voyager is ideal.
Yep it is, loved mine to bit's, at least until some unpleasant chap extorted it out of me to pay for fuel :cry:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 10:32:06 PM
Yep it is, loved mine to bit's, at least until some unpleasant chap extorted it out of me to pay for fuel :cry:

The git!  >:(  I bet he was a right chump!?!
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD