Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your thoughts on an old watch please

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Your thoughts on an old watch please
on: January 04, 2016, 05:44:07 PM
I found my old watch from when I was a kid.

The bracelet is too tight for my wrist these days, and of course I no longer have the extra links. This means I'll probably need to get the bracelet replaced. Also the crystal is scratched, it'll probably need a service in order to ensure it's keeping reasonable time, and being an automatic you need to wear it all the time, otherwise it runs down, and then you have to wear it half a day with it not keeping time till the spring has tensioned and it starts working properly.

Is it worth trying to get it spruced up again?

I do like the face. It's easy to read and looks smart, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle and expense to get it back in proper circulation again. I believe it's manufacturing date is June 1987, and have no idea on what the value may be. Anybody know much about these? Longevity of mechanism? Place of manufacture? Anything else which might be relevant?

Thanks for looking  :) I've attached some of my usual crappy pics, which I hope will show all relevant detail
IMG_20160104_160523_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160104_160523_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 34.33 KB)
IMG_20160104_160304_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160104_160304_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 39.45 KB)
IMG_20160104_155856_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160104_155856_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 42.72 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Your thoughts on an old watch please
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:51:08 PM
no

unless you can get it sorted cheaply (e.g. a tenner)  or  it has some special meaning to you.

I have a citizen automatic from that era - it broke - the end.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 06:06:28 PM
 :salute: That answers that then  :D

I might just see how much it'd cost to put a basic leather strap on it. That way if it doesn't keep time, or smurfs up in some other way, I've not wasted much.

Cheers for the quick answer  :cheers:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:56 PM
If you tell me the lug width and your favourite colour I´ll have a look through the spare straps. And maybe you should hit Zed up, IIrc he did service older watches some time ago.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:22:23 PM by lowtech »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:00:27 PM
Thanks for the offer Thomas, but I have no means of fitting it. I'll just take it to a high street place and get them to sort it  :)

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:45:34 PM
Definitely worth trying to get fit to wear again, maybe not worth much money but irreplaceable. If you do get it serviced you could try an automatic watch winder, I don't have one but I believe it keeps this kind of watch 'charged'.  Best of luck, the watch tells a story.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 12:02:29 AM
You´re welcome.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:37:12 AM
I have an old Benrus watch ca. 1970s my grandfather gave me that's still running and keeping good time and date (I need to reset the date window, it is a day ahead).  It sat in a drawer for about 25 years before I ended up with it.  It sat at the bottom of my dresser drawer an extra year before going to the jeweler to get the band adjusted and the battery changed.  All it needed was a new battery.  I bought a new Timex Expedition last week since the clasp would not hold on and everytime I twisted my wrist, it would come unsnapped and the watch lost for ever. I'll still wear the old Benrus as a dress watch.

Since yours is a somewhat higher end watch, and about a decade newer, I'd assume it would still work just fine.  I recommend taking it to a jeweler.  I always take my watches to a jeweler to have their batteries changed.

Is it worth fixing up--Yes!   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:39:09 AM by cody6268 »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:12:14 PM
The Citizen is a mechanical watch with an automatic (self winding) movement. There is no battery involved. A quartz (battery powered) watch usually works or not, but in an old automatic movement the oils can harden or evaporate, the mechanism can get clogged with dirt stuck in the hardened oil etc. So usually a service is rather expensive comüpared to the actual value of the watch - Especially as you can only tell if teh movement works as expected AFTER you have cleaned and lubricated it and adjusted it. so you need to invest a certan amount (I´d guess inbetween 50 and 90 €) to check if teh watch works and further if parts need to be replaced. This is only justified if the watch itself has a material value or a sentimantal value.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 07:08:01 PM
I'm not a particularly sentimental person  :D

With dks having one that just crapped out, the potential issues that lowtech lists, the fact that I already have other watches that work, and my lack of significant "attachment" to it, I'll gamble on a leather strap, and if it doesn't behave i'll just sling it. It has no real value beyond telling me what time it is, and if it can't do that the value is zilch  ;)

Thanks for all your input fellers  :cheers: Thomas, that last post was very informative  :salute:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:34:45 PM
I like the look of it. Maybe you can take it to a shop and ask how much it would cost to get it properly cleaned and see if you want to spend that much.

The automatic mechanism is a good thing, if it's not damaged and you can get it running again.

Unlike you, I tend to keep every piece of smurf, even if it doesn't work anymore...
 :facepalm:

I remember I still have my first "grown-up" watch (a metallic Casio). I'll go look for it. It would be fun if it still works...
 :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:34:24 PM
It does "work", it's just that I don't know how well until I get a new strap so fits my wrist  :P

Step 1 - get a simple leather strap fitted
Step 2 - wear it for a bit and see how well I works.
Step 3 - fail to decide what to do next and chuck it back in the drawer  :rofl:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:42:46 PM
Do not spend money on a strap - just use some old wire or rope. :rofl:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 09:58:34 PM
Duct tape!  :tu:

:P

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:18 PM
Watch worth around 30£ in that condition, and in my opinion is totally worth it, it's yours it has for sure plenty of stories to tell, and it's a really good looking watch, very dressy! You can find a strap on Bay, there are a lot of Indian guys that sell a lot of those vintage citizens, you can get one for donor, also for the strap and glass! And you can always fit in it, a leather a nato our even a mesh strap, that will probably look very cool on that watch, and from China this straps are really cheap, and kind have some quality, I tested it my self!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 10:55:34 PM
I would say no.

For what you may have to spend fixing that one up, you could put that towards a nice new timepiece that will serve you way better :tu:
SAW

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 11:19:19 AM
Watch worth around 30£ in that condition, and in my opinion is totally worth it, it's yours it has for sure plenty of stories to tell, and it's a really good looking watch, very dressy! You can find a strap on Bay, there are a lot of Indian guys that sell a lot of those vintage citizens, you can get one for donor, also for the strap and glass! And you can always fit in it, a leather a nato our even a mesh strap, that will probably look very cool on that watch, and from China this straps are really cheap, and kind have some quality, I tested it my self!

He´s stubborn. ;) A guy from germany already offered a free strap without success. We´ll have to wait until he wore it and has checkked the accuracy, I fear.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 11:33:48 AM
 :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:33 PM
Use it as a pocket watch for some time. No need for a strap.

Found my Casio last night. No, I don't think it will work again, half the face shows "spilling" of the liquid, it's totally black. Also found another analogic watch I didn't remember. This one has a loose hand and doesn't wind up.
 :-[

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 01:24:54 PM

Found my Casio last night. No, I don't think it will work again, half the face shows "spilling" of the liquid, it's totally black. Also found another analogic watch I didn't remember. This one has a loose hand and doesn't wind up.

It's an automatic, not a mechanical, so unlikely to work well as a pocket watch  ;)

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:08 PM
I think it must have some value to you as you've taken the trouble to start a thread about it.

With that in mind, it's a quality watch that's worth getting a strap for to test whether its still working or not, and take it from there.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 02:04:10 PM

It's an automatic, not a mechanical, so unlikely to work well as a pocket watch  ;)

Depends on how often you jump on an average day I guess. ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 02:17:19 PM
I think it must have some value to you as you've taken the trouble to start a thread about it.

With that in mind, it's a quality watch that's worth getting a strap for to test whether its still working or not, and take it from there.

I started with me thinking "why the heck have I still got this?", and it was more curiosity than anything that made me think I should post here before chucking it out  :D

I bought it while still at school, but as soon as I started working in engineering, I had to stop wearing it at work. It then became just weekends, but only if I remembered to wear it Friday evening to "charge" it. Then it became holidays and special events only, and then it became several years of not wearing a watch at all.  :-\

Based on what the other guys have said, it's probably worth buying a cheap strap for it, and not much more. I already have three other wrist watches and a couple of pocket watches, so it's not like I need to refurb or replace, just trying not to be wasteful I suppose  :)

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 09:55:31 PM

With some love and patient you can put both to work :) that´s the funny part of that, see them came back to life, our at least see how they are made :)

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 10:01:53 PM

He´s stubborn. ;) A guy from germany already offered a free strap without success. We´ll have to wait until he wore it and has checkked the accuracy, I fear.

has cheap has they are no matter is value, if it is something that was a companion in your life, it should worth give him some love :) that´s how i think :)

Let´s if he shoot some wrist photos of that one working :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 24, 2016, 09:34:57 PM
Quick update....

I eventually got it fitted with a plain black leather strap, and wore it a while. It did stop after about 1/2 an hour, so i took it off my wrist and waggled it around a while to get a bit of charge in the mechanism. After that, it kept time until i went for a bath late afternoon, at which point it stopped again  :-\

It seems the watch will work fine if I'm active, but as I've been fairly sedantry at times this weekend, it's not getting the charge. I figure it might be worth treating this as a mechanical, and taking it off the wrist to give it a waggle about for a few minutes if I'm inactive for awhile to wind it up for a bit. I don't know at this point if it's just not "charging" as freely as it should be, or if it's me that's being too sedantry the this type of watch.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 09:36:35 PM
Quick pic of the new strap .... nice and simple, though works well enough I think
IMG_20160124_202533_edit_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160124_202533_edit_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 39.11 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 09:40:50 PM
It sounds like it needs a service Al,sadly due to my poor eye sight i no longer do services  :-\ personally i dont feel this watch has the value to warrant paying for a service,but try keep wearing it as you never no as mechanical watches can be funny things  :D  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 10:03:06 PM
It sounds like it needs a service Al,sadly due to my poor eye sight i no longer do services  :-\ personally i dont feel this watch has the value to warrant paying for a service,but try keep wearing it as you never no as mechanical watches can be funny things  :D  :salute:

Thanks Paul  :cheers: your thoughts on it, pretty much echo mine. It cost me a tenner to have the watch strap replaced. If it behaves then it was a bargain to get it back into circulation, and if not, then I haven't wasted much  :D i have no intention of going to the expense of having it serviced, and would rather put the funds towards a mechanical (wind up) instead.... or just wear one of my other watches instead  :P

I might save this one for special occasions .... like decorating or gardening  :rofl:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 10:12:35 PM

Thanks Paul  :cheers: your thoughts on it, pretty much echo mine. It cost me a tenner to have the watch strap replaced. If it behaves then it was a bargain to get it back into circulation, and if not, then I haven't wasted much  :D i have no intention of going to the expense of having it serviced, and would rather put the funds towards a mechanical (wind up) instead.... or just wear one of my other watches instead  :P

I might save this one for special occasions .... like decorating or gardening  :rofl:

:D no problem mate  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD