Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Taking apart your SOG?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Taking apart your SOG?
on: September 03, 2006, 08:04:53 PM
Has anyone taken apart their SOG for cleaning purposes or for adding other tools? If so how did it go?
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Taking apart your SOG?
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:44:52 PM
I know it's a big selling feature of SOG, but trust me when I say it ain't quite as simple as they make it out to be!

There are a couple of spacers in there that you have to make certsin go back in where they came from, and watch out for the scissor spring which also doesn't seem to like to go back where it's supposed to.  Other than that. it's not really that bad, but I wouldn't reccomend that you do it all that often if you can avoid it.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:43:03 PM
it's not exactly as simple as they say it is.be careful, and remember where the pieces went when you took it apart
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Alpha Niner Niner Smith

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 05:36:16 PM
Watch out for the scissor spring.When it lets go it can take your eye with it
A99S
O

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 09:22:10 PM
Good point.  Of course it's important to watch all the tools as they come out- dropping the knife blade may not be the best idea either.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 11:24:04 PM
My stepson and I like to walk in the woods near our house and he is likes the wood saw on alot of my multitools that I carry. I had a SOG pocket powerplier on me one day because it is small and light to carry.  But it as a file insted of a wood saw.  I called SOG and orded a saw blade for it and recieved it within a week. Today I took the file out and put in the saw. It took no more than 5 minutes. It makes me like SOG tools even more.
"

Offline colubrid

Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 06:53:59 AM
I don't see what so hard about replacing the tools either. I had ordered the bit for drivers from SOG and they also sent me two wrenches to open tyhe nuts on each side. It was a snap. I removed all the tools and placed them back in. There was a spacer and I replaced another tool in its place.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:22:54 PM
It's not a huge problem unless you aren't ready for it.  The first time you open it up and all the tools fall out, including the scissor spring can be daunting for the new user.  I feel it's better to give people a heads up by warning them that it may not be as simple as expected so they take precautions.

Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:04:43 PM
I guess I am used to working on my Ruger MkII 22. caliber handguns. Now those are difficult but I managed to do my own trigger jobs.

http://www.markii.org/

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 01:53:00 AM
I guess I am used to working on my Ruger MkII 22. caliber handguns. Now those are difficult but I managed to do my own trigger jobs.

http://www.markii.org/

Hehe... I've got a Mk I.  So I'm assuming if I can take apart and put together the Mk I, the SOG should be a breeze???
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 08:19:23 AM
I took apart a pocketpower plier which has less tools and spacers as well no tricky scissors.  I agree with Def it's good to be warned about any problems and tricky situations that might come up. 
"

Offline colubrid

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 06:19:38 PM
 I don't see what the fuss is about. I can't imagine it being any simpler. As long as you remember the order the tools went in it should be a snap.... Thats about the most diffcult part. Then you slide the two revetts back in and tighten. Viola'!

I am not even sure if replacing the tools in a different order would effect the use of the tools(?)

Offline colubrid

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 06:26:40 PM
Now I am sure this would be a lot more difficult:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431031

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 09:36:38 PM
The tools go in a certain order because otherwise they get in the way of others opening.  The worst part I found was the scissor spring- it can be a real pain when it doesn't feel like cooperating.
Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 06:20:24 AM
I received my laetherman core back from cutomer service today. The moved the tools aound so that the pliers does not get jammed. Thing is now the pliers jams even worse than before. It also arrived all rusted. This was a new preplacemnt for the one I sent in. I think I will post a pic of it in another thread.

Simply Amazing . I don't know what else to say.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%