Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Broke my Switchplier 2.0 today

3rdpig · 44 · 7626

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Broke my Switchplier 2.0 today
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 07:29:33 AM
Good that it's working again.   :tu:   :tu:

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 07:31:13 AM
Good to know, kind of funny it was a bullion cube. Hahaha

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:19 AM
great news that it's working again
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 12:59:26 PM
Glad you got it sorted and it is working good. Nice work.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 11:33:49 PM
Update!  It just did it again.  But I've noticed something, it only did it when the pliers were nearly fully open.  Another couple of days use and now it does it all the time.  I'm going to keep using them, with that kind of grinding feeling sooner or later either something's going to break or it will become obvious what the problem is in some other way.   At that point in time I'll either decide if I can fix it or I'll send it back again.

Oh, and I noticed something else.  When the pliers "give" the plier handle twists slightly and moves toward the clip side of the tool.  And the top of the tool halves near the plier pivot spreads apart.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:37:34 PM by 3rdpig »

hr Offline styx

Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:31 AM
i've started to cringe every time there is a new post in this thread

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #36 on: March 25, 2016, 06:20:30 AM
i've started to cringe every time there is a new post in this thread

:whistle:

Sorry!  Still  haven't had time to take it apart, I got slammed with work the day after it happened.  I'm going to take it apart tomorrow when I get home.  I think I know what it is now, when I squeeze the grip and it spreads I can see what's happening.  That long, semicircular cut out looks like it's slipping up and over the large pin.  But I'll confirm when I get it apart.  I'll try to get some pictures too.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 12:15:04 AM
So I took it apart again today but after pulling the center pin out and sliding the head of the pliers partway out I stopped.  It's apparent what's happening, the plier pin is slipping out of it's groove in the handle.  I didn't take it apart any further because it was giving me this "I'm a rube goldberg device" feeling and I chickened out.

The problem seems to be that if I tighten the center screw enough to keep it from happening, it won't spring open easily.  And if I loosen it enough so it will spring open easily, then if I squeeze too hard I get the handle spread and the slippage.

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures.  There wasn't much to see anyway.

Not sure what to do now.  There's nothing really wrong with them, it's just the nature of the beast.  I know one thing, I'll probably never carry it regularly, the pliers just aren't trustworthy.

hr Offline styx

Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 12:45:35 PM
I'm so glad that I work in an office where the use is generally very light duty. Although all of this does make me think that perhaps I should switch it out for the LM Rebar

Offline Dalton Siedschlag

Reply #39 on: March 27, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
I'm so glad that I work in an office where the use is generally very light duty. Although all of this does make me think that perhaps I should switch it out for the LM Rebar
I was going to get the Switchplier for my time at university but forget this thing. I'm going to use the Rebar instead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 05:56:46 PM
Well my SP2 has held up quite well but I'm a bit accident prone (last week I've managed to cut myself on a paper clip) and if I need to use the pliers at work it is probably something a bit more serious. So I'm not exactly looking forward to a piece of my multitool flying off in my eye

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 10:35:09 PM
I really wanted to like it, it would be my perfect EDC tool for when I'm just kicking around, but it's not suitable for anything other than very light duty use.  And I've got a Dime on my keychain for that.  I need more from a multitool this size.

I've thought about returning it to Sog again, but what do I tell them?  There's nothing wrong with it other than it's a poor design for doing any real work.  Would they exchange it for something else?  I tend to doubt it.

If there was one thing on a multitool I trusted Sog to get right, it was pliers.  >:(

Sad to say, but since my last two tools from Sog have been less than stellar, the previous being the PowerDuo, this may be my last Sog multitool.  I love their "out of the box" thinking, but until they can convince me that they can make a decent quality tool that's durable enough to use every day I'm done wasting my money on them.

hr Offline styx

Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 10:13:23 AM
Warranty and trade it? or keeping in the tackle box?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 09:44:43 PM
I just got my Switchplier 2.0 and broke it in the first 20 minutes, cutting 12 ga romex of all things. Yes, copper wire.

As in yours, the pin pops out of the channel in the handle. Mine it actually caused damage to the channel, so now it pops out quite easily by squeezing just a hair more than normal.

I've read another thread which said that machining a new pin that's 2mm longer fixes the problem entirely. I'm not sure if I'm going to send it back or fix it. The big problem with the Switchplier is that leverage is actually reduced. The pliers require far more force to do tasks that normal pliers can do easily.  This is all by design, unfortunately.

This is never going to be a good tool for cutting romex. The cutters have maybe 1/4 of a millimeter of overlap. Forget cutting through the entire three-wire sheath, it can barely cut through a single 12ga copper wire without excessive amounts of force on the handle.

Overall, this tool is beyond light duty. It's cool, it's fun to play with, it fits in the pocket almost invisibly, and it feels good in the hand. But ultimately, the PowerAccess or PowerPlay are far, far, FAR better tools.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD