Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Get a grip!

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Get a grip!
on: January 10, 2016, 05:01:44 PM
I am not sure why people say that large SAKS are hard to hang onto - or they can't get their hand around it. I read all the time on many reviews that the larger SAKS, like XLT or mine the EVO S54 is hard to hold.

Since the beginning I have always had the largest SAK which could be had. Starting way back in the early 70's with a Champion. This is a 6 layer unit and sort of sits in the hand.

As you can see it isn't exactly a control grip. The hand does not totally wrap the unit, and you have to leave room for the blade to suddenly snap back for any reason. I have had the main blade come back at me if the SAK jammed, or worse the saw comes around when it suddenly decides to dig in and you push. Not exactly control. Screwdrivers also snap back if you push in hard to get some purchase and really torque the thing out.

Now look at this --

Here you see the Evo grip S54. It snuggles down into your hand like it was made for it. Total control of the unit. Best, with the locking blade, there is no worry about it suddenly snapping back on you. The other blades also can be held close to this, just leave a small center section for it to come back at you. As far as screwdrivers, both the main Phillips and the 6 mm standard lock in when you push down hard giving you a safety factor.

So why do you say it is hard to hold in your hand?

The Aerojet
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Get a grip!
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 05:08:21 PM
I find the SC and the XLT to be very comfortable to use. :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:42:12 PM
For what it's worth my preference for the smaller sizes doesn't really come from problems with holding the tool but rather from how large a bulge it makes in a pocket (don't want to make any false advertisement ;)).

us Offline Thales of Miletus

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 08:46:56 PM
For what it's worth my preference for the smaller sizes doesn't really come from problems with holding the tool but rather from how large a bulge it makes in a pocket (don't want to make any false advertisement ;)).

Very funny, and I agree as well. 

fi Offline temo

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 11:53:02 PM
Agree pocket knife / carry part.

I have seen this other way. Too much grip compared to size of tools. So you have a large handle but a thin blade (as example). Anyway large SAKs are nice. Though after originals I don't think there have been similar innovations. I value combo tools (openers, general purpose screwdrivers with those). Knife again is one tool but you can use it for many tasks. So idea that you don't have specific screwdriver but you can screw with bottle opener. Now sometimes feels focus is just to collect specific tools to one package.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:22:00 AM

Very funny, and I agree as well.

The goal is to be symmetrical........  :whistle:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:41:49 AM

So why do you say it is hard to hold in your hand?

The Aerojet

A) I only have size 9 hands
B) I had an operation on the tendons in my hands as a kid, and don't have the same grip strength that others may have in certain types of grip
C) Arthritis runs in the family, and I suspect it's trying to get itself established in my knuckles

What works for one, does not necessarily work for all  :D

:salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:49:13 AM
Love the bigger SAKs both in my hand and in my pocket.

For me a SC sits better in my pocket then say a 4 or 5 layers SAK. The width of the SC keeps it from rolling too and fro. Suppose I am just strange.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 11:32:01 AM
The goal is to be symmetrical........  :whistle:

Yes, of course, how could I be so blind!

A) I only have size 9 hands
B) I had an operation on the tendons in my hands as a kid, and don't have the same grip strength that others may have in certain types of grip
C) Arthritis runs in the family, and I suspect it's trying to get itself established in my knuckles

What works for one, does not necessarily work for all  :D

:salute:

Maybe glove-size should be the new thing on multitool reviews!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 11:56:34 AM
My two favourite SAKs are the Pioneer/alox Soldier and the Huntsman. Having said that, I really like how my 6-layer Vic Handyman sits in my hand, it feeels comfortable and its dimensions allow for good grip in various positions. What I don't like is the fact that the large blade's effectiveness is somewhat hindered by the SAK's bulk in some cases. The same goes for the bottle opener used as a pry tool and the can opener when used as a Philips. Strangely, the awl feels easier to use on the Hanyman. A great SAK overall, I love my Handyman and I think I wouldn't go up in layer number. I don't like the Swisschamp (and I'm not ashamed to say so). However, I haven't held a XLT or XAVT (not ashamed to admit that, either) so I can't vouch my preferences won't change.

One thing about grip though, the OP talks about leaving room for the blade to snap shut. I go the opposite way, I try to keep my finger on the tang or near it at all times, no letting the blade close on me if I can help it. One of the most crucial, decisive things for me when I look at a pocket knife is the tang/finger choil. Thickness plays a role too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:04:28 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69