Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

US successfully repels invasion

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
US successfully repels invasion
on: August 27, 2008, 03:41:40 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/423103.html

Toronto men who fell off jet skis now in hot water with the feds
By Dan Herbeck - News Staff Reporter
Updated: 08/25/08 8:03 PM

First, they were hurled into the water after a jet ski accident on a dangerous stretch of the Niagara River.

Then, they were rescued by the Coast Guard, and one of them required hospital treatment.

Now, Jason and Edward Haist have other problems.

The two Canadian jet skiers who were rescued after a mishap Saturday night spent all day Sunday and most of foday in a federal detention center.

A U.S. Border Patrol spokesman said Jason Haist, 29, and his 21-year-old cousin, both of the Toronto area, face non-criminal immigration charges and could wind up being banned from the United States for five years.

The two men have been in the custody of the federal government since they were rescued from the river near Devil's Hole State Park, near Lewiston.

The cousins were then held in the Federal Detention Center in Batavia, but Price said they were released without bail late this afternoon.

"They face non-criminal administrative charges and will be required to attend a removal hearing in Immigration Court," A.J. Price said. "They were charged because we have evidence that, before the accident, they made landfall in the U.S. without reporting in."

Boaters who launch their water craft from Canada and then dock on American soil are required to report in with the Border Patrol, Price said.

If an Immigration Court judge finds that the two men illegally landed in the U.S., the cousins could be banned from visiting the U.S. for five years, Price said. Price added that, so far, no date has been set for the Haists's hearing.

The two cousins were rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard and other authorities after their Sea-Doo personal watercraft overturned in the fast-moving waters of the river about 8 p.m. Saturday.

After Jason Haist was treated in a Lewiston hospital for a head injury, he and his cousin were taken to the federal jail, authorities said.

The area where the Haists' water craft overturned is a "treacherous and fast-moving" stretch of the lower Niagara River, but boaters are allowed in the area, Price said.

Police said Jason Haist's girlfriend, Catherine Kerr of Scarborough, near Toronto, recovered the two Sea-Doo water craft on Sunday.

Kerr was quoted in Monday's editions of the Toronto Sun newspaper as criticizing the U.S. government for taking the two men into custody.

"I don't think it's fair," the Toronto paper quoted Kerr as saying. "It was an accident, and not like he had a choice of what hospital to go to. Here's a guy who was drowning and lucky enough to be saved … and now he faces this."

"Canucks Jailed After Rescue; Near-drowning leads to time in U.S. pokey," the Sun's headline read. Efforts by The Buffalo News to reach Kerr and the Haists were unsuccessful.

Price responded by saying the Haists were charged not because they had an accident, but because they apparently landed in the U.S. without reporting in prior to the accident.

The Border Patrol officer added that two other people were rescued after the jet ski accident, but he said they were not charged because authorities found no evidence they had illegally entered the U.S.

dherbeck@buffnews.com
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: US successfully repels invasion
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:45:55 PM
Sheesh  ::) ::)
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:48:09 PM
 Apparently Border Patrol is more diligent on the northern border than the southern.After what those two went through,a simple cite into court would've been sufficient.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:06:06 PM
It's interesting to read the different slants form Canadian newspapers and US newspapers... I might be somewhat biased, but it seems silly no matter which side you are reading from though!

Canucks rescued, then jailed
Near-drowning leads to time in U.S. pokey
By MARC KILCHLING, SUN MEDIA
The Toronto Sun

Two Toronto-area men are behind bars in a Buffalo detention centre after a dramatic rescue from the Niagara River resulted in them being charged with making an "illegal" entry into the U.S..

Jason Haist, of Scarborough, along with his cousin Edward Haist, were riding Sea-Doos up and down the river Saturday evening when they were knocked into the water after hitting strong currents near Devil's Hole State Park.

Edward washed up on the U.S. shore while Jason was pulled out of the river -- unconscious and suffering from a head injury -- by personnel on a tour boat.

The United States Coast Guard took Jason, who was wearing only a lifejacket and swim trunks, off the tour boat and transported him to Mount St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston, N.Y., for treatment.

Catherine Kerr, Jason's live-in girlfriend, later received a shocking message: Jason was going to be jailed for making an illegal entry into the U.S..

"He told me he had an accident and needed help but that the border patrol was coming to take him to jail," said Kerr, a Scarborough resident.

Both Jason and Edward were taken into custody by the U.S. Border Patrol and placed in the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility.

"They're being administratively charged with failure to report on landfall in the States," said A.J. Price, a border patrol agent with U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

"I don't think it's fair," said a nervous Kerr, who spent a near sleepless night shaking and "freaking out."

"It was an accident and not like he had a choice what hospital to go to. Here's a guy who was drowning and lucky enough to be saved -- and now he faces this."

According to Kerr, Jason had asked and obtained permission from the U.S. Border Patrol to ride his Sea-Doo back and forth across the unseen border that runs down the middle of the Niagara River.

Price, meanwhile, said that while it's possible to go on both sides of the border on the river, a person must report to the appropriate authorities upon landing on American soil.

"We have no discretion in the matter and that's why we're giving it to an immigration judge," Price said.

The two men will attend a closed hearing before an immigration judge today. It's expected, they'll either be issued a removal order and deported back to Canada or the judge may dismiss the charges against them.

If a removal order is issued, the two will need to go through an extensive application process in order to return to the U.S. Kerr, however, did make a trip across the border yesterday -- not to be reunited with Jason, but rather to recover their two Sea-Doos.

"They told me I had to come get them as soon as possible because they wouldn't be responsible for them if they were stolen," she said.

Canada's department of foreign a ffairs said they were aware of the situation but declined to comment.
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:08:21 PM
Def, are you involved in this?  I just knew the canucks would try something.  First they poisoned us with their Bob and Doug Mckenzie propaganda, then came those Roots berets, now this.  Well be warned we have snipers posted at the boarder to stop this invasion.

* sniperspotter[2].jpg (Filesize: 48.32 KB)

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:13:25 PM
I agree with Bison 100%!  :cheers:
B

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 04:48:42 PM
If I recall correctly the British led Canadian commandos are the only foreign force to have ever successfully invaded the US and burned down the White House... :D perhaps they were afraid these two youths on their waterlogged jetski were out to do it again...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 05:12:31 PM
It is official common sense has died a horrible painful death world wide it's enough to make you :ahhh

Offline Biru

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:05:08 PM
Don't tell me all of you have been duped by the insidious Canadian propaganda being fed to you over the years! :twak: These are the same people whose nation anthem contains a call to "brotherhood" and whose flag utilizes that symbol of evil, the LEAF! :ahhh And don't believe you're the only ones who've been duped! McDonald's caved into the Canadian propaganda front years ago and have been brainwashing us by serving their Egg McMuffin with CANADIAN bacon! Apparently American bacon (uhh, is there such a thing?) isn't good enough for McDonalds to clog my arteries! I frisk my friend from Minnesota when he leaves my home. You know, just in case he's TOO close to the border! >:(

I think these two nogoodnik Canucks need a trip to Guantanamo Bay. I'm not sure but I believe "Al Qaeda" is Canadian for "jet skier."

There, you've made me go and reveal my deep anti-Northern bias! Now I'm off to take my Xanax.

Regards, Bill.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:12:59 PM
   This news just in:  All of the Wal-Marts across Alabama sold out of ammunition as of yesterday.

A reliable source said that one of the purchasers commented that while Russia may have invaded Georgia ,

they sure as hell ain't gonna cross the line into Alabama.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:05:07 PM
rofl

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 07:43:27 PM
I'm proud to live in a country that is so diligent about protecting my best interests!

::)
- Terry

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:54 PM
+1 Biru--So just what do Canadians call Canadian bacon???? Ham????  I think the Border Patrol messed-up.  Surely those were Trojan jetskis filled with altitudenally challenged Canadian special forces...no doubt infiltrating our country, eh.   

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:08:44 PM
 This was just a small scale raid.If it had been a full blown invasion,they would've come in Alberta Clippers....and those of us that live in the Midwest know what I mean :D
I

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:15 PM
Bison-I hear you. (WI)

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Re: US successfully repels invasion - AGAIN
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 08:54:01 PM
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:11:59 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 10:50:34 PM
As aloong as Canada didn't ally with Mexico for OPERATION RECONQUISTA!! :ahhh
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 10:53:18 PM
Naw, we'd more likely ally ourselves with Taco Bell for Operation Fries Supreme!  :P

Def

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 11:09:18 PM
Naw, we'd more likely ally ourselves with Taco Bell for Operation Fries Supreme!  :P
Def

Taco Bell is the Mexican phone company is it not  :twak:
Why do I carry a 45 ?

Offline Biru

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 02:51:54 AM
Well I for one will sleep a little more soundly tonight knowing those two scary Canucks are safe in custody. Who knows what would have happened had they run roughshod over the New York countryside? I can just see rowdy NY football fans as they stop pleading for the Jets cheerleaders to unbutton their blouses and instead ruminate on the possibilities of the Mapleleafs clinching the Cup this year! :ahhh

I think all of us on this site owe Defender a debt of gratitude for alerting us to the dreaded Danger from the North!

Hey, how come my browser location window is showing a red maple leaf for this site?!...

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 12:48:57 PM
It is suprising to me that such things actually happen.  The two guys were obviously in trouble and did not intend to make landfall in the U.S.  A friend of mine told me a story about crossing the U.S.-CAN border back in the 70's while returning from a fishing trip in Canada.  A young, fresh from the academy U.S. border agent told my friends brother to open his trunk for inspection, problem was, they were driving a jeep and all doors and compartments were open.  I guess that the argument became quite heated until an older border agent told the younger subordinate to leave them alone and quit bothering people for the rest of the day.  The older guy then explained to my friend that his co-worker was new and of well under average intellegence.

I am an extreme right wing guy and I believe that the security of our borders is of the utmost importance.  However, some people are just plain stupid and they have no other goal in mind but to ruin anothers day just because they can.       

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 02:24:32 PM
I think Whoey and I met that border guard during a road trip to Buffalo back in the day! 

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 02:55:41 PM
my fault for not having proper ID I suppose...

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 06:41:17 PM
No ID?  Wrong ID whatever.  If you are not wearing a burqua with a suicide vest underneath, who cares.  Besides, what can you smuggle in from Canada to the U.S. that is dangerous besides a prototype ninja hockey stick with an ATS-34 blade or damn good maple syrup. :)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 11:47:17 AM
However, some people are just plain stupid and they have no other goal in mind but to ruin anothers day just because they can

Best to apply hanlon's razor.

Besides, what can you smuggle in from Canada to the U.S. that is dangerous besides a prototype ninja hockey stick with an ATS-34 blade or damn good maple syrup.

Quality Actors & Comedians, the letter "U", irate mooses (?) & the metric system.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 05:30:03 PM
Quality Actors & Comedians, the letter "U", irate mooses (?) & the metric system.
The metric system sucks.

My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.  :D
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $10.00
PayPal Fees: $0.67
Net Balance: $9.33
Below Goal: $290.67
Site Currency: USD
 3%