Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All positive tools review

temo · 27 · 7387

fi Offline temo

All positive tools review
on: January 12, 2016, 05:27:27 PM
Often there are plus and minus opinions from tools and features in those. For me there are some reasons why purchased some tool or why want to carry some tool. This review is to review those positive issues from tools I have and I like. I just go through those when having time to spend :)

So let get started with the juice XE6. I now have new version but started with first version. First why did I bought it? It has good size / amount of tools ratio. Bought it during travelling and shopping so cork screw was plus then (had wine and no cork screw). And juice has cork screw with assist so similarity to pro cork screws used in fine restaurants:

Also blades are small enough that you can do something in public as well (people not watching that hey that guy has a big knife with him).

fi Offline temo

Re: All positive tools review
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:01:17 PM
Next tool ueli steck, wenger. Reason bought was sale but I do not review price aspect. Carried now many times and quite familiar with the tool. Best part is strong tool in small package. One thing is wide blade that is also more thick then normal SAK blade:

Normal SAK blade measured 1,55. Also like a blade lock that you can release with swiss logo button and flat driver lock (when put some force, it will lock). This is simply quite small and slim tool with great quality. Also sheath with place for three long bits is handy. So while tool has flat / bottle opener, you can have good phillips with as well. Or pocket carry just knife example in trips. Somehow feels nice to slice some snacks with blade that is shiny and feels like top quality blade. So I think there are SAK with cheese knife but this is my preferred cheese knife at the momement.

fi Offline temo

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:22:20 PM
Well this is odd review thread.. Maybe more like my opinions out loud.. But I do not start to list features as those can be found as well measures etc.

Leatherman super tool 300. What did I see with this one. Mainly the style. And I would say old style updated to todays MT. Almost like old western style. And all hidden tools. Some say need to open every time you use a tool. I say have a pleasure to open every time can use a tool. This is just a tool to carry in leather sheath with jeans and a big belt. Not just take screwdriver fast when needed. But take tool, open and take screwdriver out, close tool, screw, open tool and unlock screwdriver in, close and place tool back to leather sheath. Still time needed is some seconds. Who does not have that time?

So for me biggest plus with this tool is style. It is a closed toolbox where tools are inside. I prefer leather sheath that was provided with the tool but like it also with other carry options. This is a multitool with a big T. Often use with home tasks as well, as my tools are usually somewhere to be found. But ST I find in seconds.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:24:38 PM by temo »

fi Offline temo

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:48:04 PM
Let's go back in time. Years and years ago I did think would I need new multitool. XE6 had quite much all the tools needed from multitool. Locking blades were in list for a long time. But it was not enough to get a new MT. Have to say I did look a lot of features thinking could this be it, tool I would have to have in multitool. Finally it did hit me. Chisel was the tool I have to have in MT. And at same locking blades. And tool that has those was spirit.

And have to say tool overall and chisel have had plenty of use. Still after long time I value chisel the most in spirit. And that is also why I like victorinox as general. There are tools those are not specific tools but combination tools. And ideas to fit features to existing toolset. And this chisel is a good example from that. It is not just a chisel. Though some tools are okay to leave as specific tools as well. Also the other point, locking blades, was the reason to this purchase. And in that area as well spirit has been great.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:19:12 AM
Nice to see these shorter summaries that are all about positive features :tu:
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:24:38 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Temo. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 12:46:12 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Temo. :tu:
+1  :tu:

fi Offline temo

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:12:57 PM
Thank you. Yes you can think what you have as well what you do not have. Started to think why I do not have one tool. But actual reason might be that there are good features in many tools. Different reasons why I swap tools every now and then. I don't see myself as collector as I quite much use tools I have. Just over the years have time to use many tools.

Keychain tools. I had need for a small pliers because one hobby. Lucky tool I got was squirt P4. That I did change to PS4 later. First keychain tool I started to carry all the time with keys. Main reason as it is size of the keychain. And still it has tools I often use. Main reason were pliers but after carried, I have used other tools quite plenty as well. Example change batteries to toys, open packages, file, cut etc. It is not a large tool so need to be a bit careful what jobs to do with it. After pliers most used tool has been flat philips. It just has to be flat when size is top priority. Still it has been very functional. It took me a while until did find small attachment to keys I could remove. Usage is much more handy when you can remove keys when use the tool.

So topmost like is a small compact size. Nice spring loaded pliers. Set of tools can be handy in tasks at hand. I could say same then often told with mobile cameras. Best camera is the camera that is with you when you need it. So best tool is the tool you have when have the need. With squirt I have done many small things without postpone to time have the tool or go get the tool somewhere. Also with more heavy duty tool on belt or pocket, still small tool is more handy for small things.

fi Offline temo

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:12:57 PM
I would say Gerber fit is flashlight with tools. And light with normal aaa battery. There are two small screw drivers (small flat and philips), bit adapter where double side bit (flat and philips), knife and scissors. Lock for bit adapter, knife and scissors. So bit driver bit is longer as double side bit with tool. I think picture will tell positive thing with this:

So I would say a good choise for a handlight. Light is quite bright but not too bright. Nice tool example to car. Where you might need light, scissors and knife (open some snack packages when come from shop etc). And places you might need a light, might have need for some tools as well. With this these are in same package. My need for this is mainly car tool. Light is good to search items from car floor or as shown in picture, screw in dark etc.

fi Offline temo

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 12:27:05 PM
Victorinox handyman. I could maybe write many pages why got that years ago. And that is the thing with SAK. It won't go old. Models have changed over the years. With victorinox basic concept with pocket knifes has been quite same. Then with models extra features and combinations are different. There is a fact that some basic tools are handy. Need for those has not changed. Can opener, bottle opener, knifes, screw driver which can help with other tasks then screw tasks as well. And victorinox is a strong brand with pocket knifes so quite clear at some point person into tools will get to know models or look different models. And with vic, bigger knife gets, more tools there are. So why did I end up with the handyman? It is quite much size versus amount of tools question.

I am not handyman but like to do things handyman does. And I have to say it is quite perfect hobby knife. If you build models, RC etc etc. Just the knife to help you with all kinds of small things. I had this a long before swiss tool. And then like with swiss tool, chisel was a one thing I liked to have. Small pliers were other. Again I did compare quite much to swiss tool. Which have same features and more. But I was happy what handyman did offer. And been happy for a long time. Still today it would be top of the list what I would choose. One good to have feature have been bit driver in cyber tools. So next step would be swiss champ xlt. But again, I am still happy to tool selection handyman has.

Again what comes to quality, it has been great. I have used it plenty and all tools are like new. Though it has not been carry item but more like a hobby tool (carried sometimes but not plenty). And tool with the small tasks. I have not used it in heavy duty tasks. When working with small things, small tools are handy. And that is what handyman is for me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:28:39 PM by temo »

fi Offline temo

Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 01:23:15 PM
What are multitools for? I see main advantage that those are carried. That does seperate those from normal tools. Small tools are easy to carry in pocket or with carabiner etc. But one important option for me is sheath. You carry tool a lot, much more then actually use the tool. So for me easy carry is almost as important as tool itself. For me best option to carry is original sheath:

Those are designed for tool. Fit is good. Most are designed for belt carry but I use often in pocket carry as well. And for belt carry there are some different options. Clip style can be used in pocket carry as well though it is not so secure in belt carry.

Again there are different options what sheath carry. Some are good fit for tool only and some are ment to carry extras as well:

I mostly like exact fit and that part is good in all original sheaths I have. As those are designed to carry specific tool. Also example victorinox spirit plus sheath is designed to carry plus set so fit for all tools is great there. Leatherman has good solution to carry tool and one slide from the bit set. Swiss army knives are often sold without sheath but at least for bigges knives there are sheaths. And fit is good in there as well. So as general with bigger tools I see sheath is a must and different options are a plus. I personally prefer buttons and leather sheaths but others have they positives as well. To mention some of the best for just tool carry are juice sheath with XE6, super tool 300 sheath and red SAK sheath. And spirit plus sheath is again best example from tool plus set carry. Again best for me might not be best for you so people prefer different things.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 02:21:16 PM
:tu:

Big fan of sheath carry myself and I too prefer the leather and button type sheathes.

fi Offline temo

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 03:16:50 PM
Yes you can reason what you need. But at the end seems I carry what I like to carry. Example after SAK sheath (that looks like belt carry medikit..) my SAK carry time did increase a lot. Just feels good to carry. Again super tool 300 sheath is so good that ST300 has been most carried tools. As well juice sheath. Though clip design has made tool drop some times example in car. But again it is fast insert to belt or to pocket.

fi Offline temo

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 08:32:01 PM
Once you have some tools, those will serve for a long time. You might get many tools and rotate those. But basically most multitools has basics and some extra that might be the reason you get the tool. If you carry multiple tools, you get multiple same tools as well. Though different size tools might be good even tools are same. Example small pliers for small things, large pliers for larger things. But as point, I rarely carry similar tools. I sheath carry large tools and often have just keychain tool in pocket. Well pocket tools are the thing to change that. And what did I choose for a pocket tool? I can start saying I have had piranhas in aquarium. So clearly pocket tool is piranha:

So it is a piece of steel. Sometimes that is all you need. Piranha have very sharp teeth but in leatherman piranha there really is nothing really sharp. And so it must be in pocket carry. Else you would need cover or break pocket or fingers. Still there are edges those are useful in many situations. Wrench is also nice even not as good as fixed size example in ueli steck. But there are more size options. So it is good to hold bolt and do minor screwing tasks. It is great to open cans from beer to paint cans. At pocket it is fast. Just pick up and use. Also bit holder is good addition. I have used just bits sometimes. So with piranha you can easily add torque. From price everybody can have they opinion. You can use much more to steel ring or get some piece of steel with lower price. With items I carry I think price was fine. Quality is good for carry purpose and pocket tool purpose. For home need I would look cheaper tool.

So far usage is been mostly opening cans. And other opening tasks. Clear plus is easy to use. Just take and use. I have to admit that at first I did not see pocket tools very useful. But after some thinking and now using I have changed my opinion. And also I used pocket knife to many things before. Piranha is better many times as you don't need to ne careful with knife blade. So no need to use blade with the tasks you don't need a blade. And knife will thank you. Also in some tasks you don't even want a sharp blade. As example knot untier. But also many other tasks. Tasks as simple as scratch your back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:33:42 PM by temo »

Offline maximus0723

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:06 AM
Nice. Very helpful thank you  :climber:

fi Offline temo

Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 07:35:50 PM
Need to add mention from victprinox alox, pioneer here. If I do not count keychain, it is most carried items in my pocket. So light it easily takes place from bigger tools. Still blade size is a little more then normal vic. Though new models and bigger series has bigger though then those are not as small to pocket carry anymore. So for me pioneer is close to optimal use / carry compromise. For thin solution selection of tools is small. All inline tools what I like. As well all non locking blades. Minimised weight and thickness. And great quality. Basically you can do a lot with the blades. Good inline awl is a big plus for me.

So all tools proven in practise, basic victorinox. Nothing fancy, all just works. Nothing you can loose. Easy to carry. Confident this will get carry time and usage for a long time.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:27:59 PM
Pioneer, certainly one of the more amazing tools
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 01:44:12 AM
Reviewer badge is for main site reviews only sorry.
We are looking for main site reviews so see the sticky thread above for an idea of what is required.
If you have any questions just ask.

fi Offline temo

Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 11:27:30 PM
No worries. I actually use mostly mobile app so took a long time before did search what are those badges people are talking about :) Maybe some day look more carefully. Anyway nice idea.

fi Offline temo

Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 03:27:57 PM
Flat philips was already mentioned with squirt. Similar is found from micra as well. Main tool in micra is scissors. And even micra is keychain, I could say scissors in micra are more heavy duty then most scissors in multitools. And in my list there are many tools without scissors (ST, ueli, pioneer..) So scissors in keychain are good to have. And sometimes good to have a bit more heavy duty scissors like ones micra have. Example cutting sticky plaster may be challenge to very small mt scissors. For micra there is no challenge to cut bandaid or similar tasks.

There are also other useful small tools. And often small tools are more handy in small keychain size tool. And scissors show that there can be also more powerful tools in keychain size. Those compete with larger tools and do well.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 05:48:12 PM
Like  :tu:

fi Offline temo

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 03:58:34 PM
Seems not added two most carried tools at the moment. Rebar and freestyle. I'll start with freestyle (cx).

From this there are several opinions (well maybe from most tools there are..) I had this for long time before started to carry more. Well hard to see this as multitool. More like bitool (knife and pliers). But those are actually tools you can use a lot. Compared to skeletool this misses drivers and carabiner. Making this more compact and light tool. And that is important reason why like to carry this. Light, compact, small. And cx model has non serrated blade which I like.

I have carried this with squirt ps4 which has basic drivers I can use in need. Also think this would make perfect pair for LM tread. That I don't have. But that would have a good set of drivers and this would add pliers and knife.

Biggest limitations may be that this is a light tool. But again that is a reason like to carry so can't have all (heavy duty that is light to carry).

To be honest I have been thinking to get skeletool. There would be added drivers. But after thinking more I could like this and tread combo more. I have noticed I don't carry bit sets. And as random carry where need for more drivers I might prefer more heavy tool. So as daily carry I am okay with keychain drivers. At repair tasks etc I take more heavy tool.

So shortly for me this is quite much perfect edc when paired with keychain or maybe with tread. And step to heavier carry there comes rebar. That is still in pocket carry limits for me. But with rebar I already like belt option.

From this it is hard to say best feature as knife and pliers are quite as important. So maybe best thing is good combo of two important tools. And there is that, no other secondary tools. So pairs up nicely with tools those could use pliers and knife as addition. But as single as well can be helpful in many tasks.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

fi Offline temo

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 06:30:45 PM
Rebar is small version from super tool 300. I had ST300 at first. And yes I did think as well that smaller version would be great. And that game out from Leatherman named rebar. And basically you don't loose anything against ST300. But is that a full fact? Well have to say no. Rebar is probably most light tool with pliers I would count heavy duty pliers.

Have to be honest that I like to use st300 more. It just has stronger and more stable feeling when using. But can't really say I could do more heavy tasks compared to rebar. It just feels slightly better doing the tasks. But also feels more when carry. So rebar you can already pocket carry. Where ST feels a bit too much in pocket. Though rebar is not small tool either. So for me just in limit being large enough to be usable tool in heavier tasks as well. And small enough that can be carried even don't know having need for tools.

For me best thing about rebar is that it game out. Else I would be wanting something like ST but smaller. And for me it is more edc friendly version of ST.

Would I choose ST300 or rebar? Too hard call and that is probably reason I have both. With rebar and ST you can say the difference using the tool and carrying the tool. It is a compromise, gain other and loose other. Though people with smaller hands might find rebar as better in use. But for me rebar gets carry point and ST usage point. And mainly carry point comes about possible pocket carry. At belt I don't mind ST larger size much.

From size I think we are still missing one Leatherman between micra and rebar. Medium size original LM style version. From that point of view rebar is more like small ST then medium size tool.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:37:17 PM by temo »

fi Offline temo

Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 03:45:45 PM
Gerber mp400. This is the best modded tool I have. Most important mod to fit plier head to frame. And that is easiest modification you can do to multitools. Good option to get blunt head pliers.

So from store plier head is pointing out of frame. With modification that is fairly easy you get most handy pliers can have in multitool.

With modification this is one of the top plier multitools there is to pocket carry. My top 3 is gerber mp400, victorinox spirit and leatherman rebar. And these all with locking blades. There are smaller pocket carries if choose to drop locking blades off.

What is strength in gerber? It is different with sliding pliers. You slide the tool open rather then turn. So my top 3 has 3 different options. Spirit with ouside opening blades. Rebar with inner tools. Gerber with inner tools but slide opening mechanism. As best toolset spirit is a winner. Rebar has biggest most heavy pliers and gerber is most light. Though weight differences with these are not big. But in pocket carry even small amount of weight is important.

So shortly gerber mp400 have so called one hand pliers. But more important different type of mechanism to open the tool. This brings small minuses as well. Some nubs outside the tool. But with no pointing plier head it is still smooth pocket carry.

fi Offline temo

Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 08:19:53 PM
Almost a year from last update. So next tool to list. Skeletool. Small / medium size with many carry options (pocket clip, carabiner). As far as I know most light tool with LM fixed bitadapter. So you can pocket carry tool and add a small plus set to carry with skele when needed.

I did add one sheet of LM bits and piranha to small sheath. Total weight 257 gram. And you get quite plenty of tools to go. 20+4 drivers. Pliers. Knife. Wrench. Prybar. With piranha and skeletool you can handle tighten two sided bolt. Though size range in piranha wrench is not huge. But also skeletool pliers are not large so focus is in smaller nuts and bolts.

Also piranha can be used as driver with LM bits. So you can use two drivers at same time where needed.

So back to skeletool. It is small. Having a good knife, pliers and drivers. And you can take advantages of small LM double sided bits. Tool itself carry two double bits, four drivers. And carabiner works as cap lifter. No need to deploy so ready to be used.

fi Offline temo

Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 04:02:38 PM
Small comparisation of opinel outdoor No8. That will end up my positive feedback from this tool. Again not just a knife, it has whistle and shackle key for 4 to 10 mm shackles (hole in blade).

It is most light from this group, 62g. Quite same then swiza 64g. Blade is one of the thickest. 2,3mm, skele slightly thicker 2,5mm (in documentation opinel haas 2,5mm as well but my fast measurement did show 2,3mm).. Swiza most thin 1,5mm. Though opinel don't have other heavier tool, whistle in handle and slot in blade that will work some sort of key. All but pioneer has a lock blade.

So for the blade size quite light knife. Also seems my pocket knife selection has some similarities. Not just knives, other features as well. These most simplified so I would count blades as main features (with skele and freestyle pliers in big part as well).

So most positive for me, it is quite big knife but light. And includes some extra tools upon folding knife. Rotate lock is opinels feature. Still you can use knife without rotating lock so it is quite stiff to open and close. That can be seen as plus or minus. I like it.

About the whistle. Do I need it in knife? Maybe, maybe not. But it is there and it is loud. If you need attention in waters, forest, just blow the whistle. Maybe there could be flute version as well that you could play some music on camp fire.

fi Offline temo

Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 07:47:53 PM
Seems all tools provided comments I still have. And used some more some less. So would manage, but did get new one.

Leatherman free T4. After half year of thinking, would I need one. Well sure. And did not go wrong. First there are other options close. T2, K2, K4. And sure victorinox is close. As well gerber armbar. But T4 was one picked and give positive review as usual from tools I like. And this one is about EDC. Pocket carry. For me weight is about right. Can just feel it and provides as much as can for that.

So what is best in T4 on my opinion. Variation of tools. Some more heavier and some lighter. Pic hopefully says this. In both sides, one thick and some thinner tools. And both thick are multipurpose. Philips + bottle opener. Large flat + package opener.

One minus have to say. In file would of like saw surface. But only sides are grained. Would make great small saw.

But sure all multitools have some details you would like to change.

From tool go through there are plenty of reviews. So don't go details. Shortly think options on this are good. As told already, from small to large. Awl solution brings small flat. I like that. Many medium and larger tools miss that. Really small flat.

Quite sure this will get plenty of carry time. Recently squirt and super tinker have done most.

Lähetetty minun motorola edge laitteesta Tapatalkilla

* IMG_20211130_195850658.jpg (Filesize: 29.29 KB)

* IMG_20211130_195834725.jpg (Filesize: 26.1 KB)

* IMG_20211130_203733302.jpg (Filesize: 33.97 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%