Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show us your hip flask(s?)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Show us your hip flask(s?)
on: January 17, 2016, 07:38:20 PM
There was an old and short post about hip flasks in the Backwoods Cuisine section but not much seemed to come out of it. Still I think they have the potential to fit in around here since there are picture threads about close to everything. My main one, pictured here behind the SOG Pocket Powerplier, is a simple stainless steel one that used to have a (homemade) leather strap to secure the cap (felt wrong with chromed plastic next to the steel). It holds 16 cl (5.5 fl.oz).

Generally it will hold some Jack Daniels but I can also recommend the Finnish Jaloviina, basically a blend of vodka and cognac.

My other one is older and made from pewter. It's got a couple of dents and only holds 3 fl.oz. I'll put up a picture later to give the thread a little bump. (and with luck this might be a reason for me to fix a new leather strap and finally engrave the small nameplate on the steel one)

:drink:
2016-01-16 20.00.21.jpg
* 2016-01-16 20.00.21.jpg (Filesize: 75.42 KB)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Show us your hip flask(s?)
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 07:51:35 PM
I have been wanting a flask for certain occasions like going fishing. It's really the only time I would use one. Carrying one is illegal here. I would want pewter, but could get away with a cheap stainless flask since it would get limited use.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:08:36 PM
I have been wanting a flask for certain occasions like going fishing. It's really the only time I would use one. Carrying one is illegal here. I would want pewter, but could get away with a cheap stainless flask since it would get limited use.
Might want to check wally world for the Stanley versions, they were on sale at my local walmart!

Or Etsy for a pewter one!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:10:35 PM
You sir have good taste in alcohol. :drink:

I will have to take pics of mine plain stainless one.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:18:35 PM
... I can also recommend the Finnish Jaloviina, basically a blend of vodka and cognac.

What's that you say?   :drool: :drool:

I had a small stainless one, the material under the cap making it air-tight was crap though, it smelled bad and rotted quickly. I'd be interested to find out what would be a good material for a hip flask. Silver, I guess?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:19:54 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:02:56 PM

Wow! New one on me  :salute: Is that a state law? I have a couple here, but they rarely get used

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:41:54 PM

Wow! New one on me  :salute: Is that a state law? I have a couple here, but they rarely get used

Probably falls under the "open container" definition.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:35:17 PM

Yes it's a state law. Open containers of alcohol are illegal unless being transported in the trunk of a car. Besides that it is illegal to have any open container of alcohol on your person or your car when in public.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 10:35:44 PM

Probably falls under the "open container" definition.....

Correct.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:13:55 PM
Thanks Cap'n

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 03:00:39 AM
Here's mine. I just realized that digital photography really shows the dust under my bottles.  Please try to ignore the dust.  It's not that obvious in person.  Really, it must be the flash photography that brings it out.  I hate for you all to be thinking of me now as a poor housekeeper as well as an alcoholic.
P1100543.JPG
* P1100543.JPG (Filesize: 237.14 KB)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 05:06:00 AM
Here's mine. I just realized that digital photography really shows the dust under my bottles.  Please try to ignore the dust.  It's not that obvious in person.  Really, it must be the flash photography that brings it out.  I hate for you all to be thinking of me now as a poor housekeeper as well as an alcoholic.
The dust brings to life the "truly aged" aspect ;)

Your all good bud!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:55:00 AM

Nice one, it looks really classy! I'm guessing 3-4 fl.oz? Pewter?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 04:34:25 PM
Not sure the capacity, let's just call it adequate.  It is big though so I would think at least 4 ounces.  I'm not sure of the pewter content, I believe it is actually silver plated glass.  The banner on the bottom says "Exclusively made for Godinger Silver (C) 1985."  I tried to contact the Godinger Silver Company to find out if it was safe to drink out of it and their representative said they would be happy to answer any questions if I could tell them the exact item number from my receipt.  I'm not even the original owner and who keeps a receipt for 30 years?  I made the decision to go ahead and use it.  Being from 1985 it should be safe.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 05:33:27 PM
Not sure the capacity, let's just call it adequate.  It is big though so I would think at least 4 ounces.  I'm not sure of the pewter content, I believe it is actually silver plated glass.  The banner on the bottom says "Exclusively made for Godinger Silver (C) 1985."  I tried to contact the Godinger Silver Company to find out if it was safe to drink out of it and their representative said they would be happy to answer any questions if I could tell them the exact item number from my receipt.  I'm not even the original owner and who keeps a receipt for 30 years?  I made the decision to go ahead and use it.  Being from 1985 it should be safe.

Even more fancy then! Generalrule seems to be not to keep the alcohol in it for too long to avoid leeching. That and avoiding sour drinks as those have the habit of eating at the metal.
As always, not drinking too often helps too...

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 08:01:45 PM
Bumping with a picture. 3 fl.oz. pewter. It's gotten a couple of bumps but it's a generally nice size that will fit in a pocket without making to obvious a bulge.
2016-01-23 19.56.32.jpg
* 2016-01-23 19.56.32.jpg (Filesize: 39.2 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 06:14:13 PM
I'll revive this thread with a picture of my latest find. Found it second hand and couldn't resist. Added my name to it while I had the Dremel out.
20160828_181049-2064x1161.jpg
* 20160828_181049-2064x1161.jpg (Filesize: 140.19 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 08:05:22 PM
That's a very nice flask. Enjoy it.
 :like:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:45 PM
That's a very nice flask. Enjoy it.
 :like:

I would have, but it broke first time i filled it up. Started with a few drops being squeezed out every time I screwed the lid on but soon after about a quarter of the weld just gave out. Since I got it second hand I was only out $15-20 (new it's £49!) but I still felt I had to make sure to give a fair warning to anyone who stumbles upon this topic.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 08:37:39 PM
Advertisement flask and Toaks Titanium. Love the Toaks, it usually contains vodka (currently a Belvedere Intense).
flasks.jpg
* flasks.jpg (Filesize: 58.63 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 09:24:30 PM
Oh man, my flask..... :dd: fond memories......

Wait..... :think:

OK, so I have practically no memory of most days when I carried a flask. :shrug: I'm not even entirely sure I was around for 2004. ;) Two flasks, actually.  My jacket literally had pint-sized pockets.........
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 09:24:42 PM
Oddly here in Massachusetts, filled  open liquor containers (e. g. flasks) are illegal but small amounts of pot won't be later this week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline RR1551

Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 03:13:46 PM
All-copper, tin-lined hip flask -- holds 3 oz of whiskey (nip for coffee/tea)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 12:45:09 PM
A hip flask to take with me into the mountains has been on my list for ages.
Stanley make some rugged-looking ones although something classic would be nice... :dd:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 04:23:16 PM
All-copper, tin-lined hip flask -- holds 3 oz of whiskey (nip for coffee/tea)(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Man, that combo is just  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:!!!!

Love everything about it!

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline RF52

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2018, 07:57:53 PM
5 oz flask with a little Johnnie Walker black

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00