Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival pack for the car: I need suggestions

kirk13 · 42 · 4751

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Survival pack for the car: I need suggestions
Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 05:29:10 AM
You won't get it for 25 quid, but a course in mechanics at the local college!

Water, a few tins of beans, a blanket, and a decent book will keep him entertained for a while until help arrives.

high vis vests are not mandated for casual drivers, but I wear one out of habit.

It's hard to say if they stop people running over you.
I've also never been attacked by tigers while wearing one.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:30:20 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 03:12:44 PM
Space blankets SUCK in real life. I've used them both in the field when caught in an ice storm while hunting and at home under less than ideal circumstances.
Ya they will reflect heat but they don't actually insulate, are not comfortable, and crinkle, a lot. Worst of all of they get damp or over heated while in storage the mylar sometimes sticks together and then separates. This makes them useless because half your aluminium reflective surface ends up gone or so window screened till it doesn't work any more.
That said I have 2 in my first aid kit just because they are compact and versatile.

They are one of those mythical solve anything emergency items. Ya they may save your life, or they may just waste your time. It depends as much on you as it does on a flimsy piece of aluminum and plastic wrap.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:13:50 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 05:53:39 AM
 :tu: Obi set up .. Maybe add food and water, you good to go .
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 133.08 KB)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:07:02 AM by Obi1shinobee »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 06:25:43 AM
Have you thought about some tools and parts? Being able to deal with the wait is nice but being able to self repair is better.

Things like duct tape for hose repair, extra belts, a can of fix a flat or a spare and tools to change a tire. That sort of stuff.

As for just riding out 4 or 5 hours all you really need is a snack in case you have not are all day when you break down, some water and a good book.

Not sure how cold it gets where you are but if it gets cold a dry change of clothes in case you get soaked and a good sleeping bag is all you Would need seeing as how you already have good shelter in the auto.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #34 on: February 16, 2016, 09:37:27 PM
Guessing that it will be in the middle of nowhere and max 5 hours before help or any other human arrives (i guess that is unlikely to happen in england)

I would have:

Swisstool x (good car fixing tool)
Candy bars and some bottles of water (water also to fill up the coolant in case of a leak)
Blanket to sleep under in case you will have to sleep in your car for the night
Basic flashlight like a LED maglite, you can pick it up second hand for a couple of euros. (make sure you buy a LED light not just regular bulb light)
Also make sure that he has a decent pair of starting cables (or what ever you call them) in his car, these day a car won't do anything without (enough) battery power.
Can of the proper motor oil
Spare tire with tools if it is not already in the car (buy it from a car breaker / scrapyard, it doesn't cost a lot)
Towing cable
Reflective vest, believe me cars always decide to quit on the worst possible spots :facepalm:

I have some knowledge about cars and know that they wont suddenly break down without a reason. Even the newest best maintained car can quit working because of a defective cranckshaft sensor and even the biggest piece of junk can keep driving as long as it has oil and coolant.

I guess that you can find those things for around 25 euros in total. The swisstool will go secondhand for around 40 to 50 euros so that might be a problem but a chinese mt will probably do the job depending on his mechanical skills? (a tool is only as good as its user)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:38:48 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline batosai117

Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 05:35:46 AM

Guessing that it will be in the middle of nowhere and max 5 hours before help or any other human arrives (i guess that is unlikely to happen in england)

I would have:

Swisstool x (good car fixing tool)
Candy bars and some bottles of water (water also to fill up the coolant in case of a leak)
Blanket to sleep under in case you will have to sleep in your car for the night
Basic flashlight like a LED maglite, you can pick it up second hand for a couple of euros. (make sure you buy a LED light not just regular bulb light)
Also make sure that he has a decent pair of starting cables (or what ever you call them) in his car, these day a car won't do anything without (enough) battery power.
Can of the proper motor oil
Spare tire with tools if it is not already in the car (buy it from a car breaker / scrapyard, it doesn't cost a lot)
Towing cable
Reflective vest, believe me cars always decide to quit on the worst possible spots :facepalm:

I have some knowledge about cars and know that they wont suddenly break down without a reason. Even the newest best maintained car can quit working because of a defective cranckshaft sensor and even the biggest piece of junk can keep driving as long as it has oil and coolant.

I guess that you can find those things for around 25 euros in total. The swisstool will go secondhand for around 40 to 50 euros so that might be a problem but a chinese mt will probably do the job depending on his mechanical skills? (a tool is only as good as its user)

Good setup. I keep one of those hard plastic ready to go mechanic tool sets from Wally World in my truck for maintenance and emergencies. It's the size of a small brief case and only cost about $15 to $20.

Sent from my electronic multi-tool.
Texas Peace Officer
EDC: Victorinox Safari Trooper & Ruger LC9
Go Outside we'll be here when you return :)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 01:04:04 PM
Space blankets SUCK in real life. I've used them both in the field when caught in an ice storm while hunting and at home under less than ideal circumstances.
Ya they will reflect heat but they don't actually insulate, are not comfortable, and crinkle, a lot. Worst of all of they get damp or over heated while in storage the mylar sometimes sticks together and then separates. This makes them useless because half your aluminium reflective surface ends up gone or so window screened till it doesn't work any more.
That said I have 2 in my first aid kit just because they are compact and versatile.

They are one of those mythical solve anything emergency items. Ya they may save your life, or they may just waste your time. It depends as much on you as it does on a flimsy piece of aluminum and plastic wrap.

i dunno about the suckiness of space blankets or not -  i don't have experience of personally having to use one, but, recently came across an RTA, within about 5 mins of it happening and the space blanket I had in my car seemed to offer comfort/warmth to the injured person who needed it. Thankfully, it was a pretty minor crash.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 09:42:44 AM
I maybe late into this, and looks like pretty much all has been covered, my additional 2 cents:

1) Spare cell phone battery
2) Card board and marker(write "call 911" or "call 112", people may not stop their vehicle for you, but most may consider calling emergency for you)
3) Cheap headlamp(very useful when changing tires in the dark)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 09:44:52 AM
Hey Comis, good to see you back buddy. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 09:46:15 AM
Hey Comis, good to see you back buddy. :cheers:

So very glad to be back, good to see you!  :waving: :D

sg Offline red_rider_1979

Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 02:05:17 PM
This isn't a hypothetical one,this is a fairly serious one.

So here's the scenario: My flat mate works as a traveling sales rep. His company car is in serious need of proper maintance,which it's unlikely to get. At this point we're 8 months since its last major break down.

What I want to do is prepare a small backpack. It's contents should provide warmth and sustenance from the time of break down to the point of vehicle recovery,assuming the breakdown will happen in the butt end of southern England(so max five hours?)

Also I'm looking at staying under a budget of £20-25,and my flatmate in practical terms is vegetarian.

So...ideas please!

My car skidded down a slope along a deserted road in Malaysia on Teacher's Day 8 years ago. Being the prepper that I was, I had all sorts of tools, tire repair kit in my boot but none of them were of any use as my car was caught in between 2 trees on a slope. In the end, I had to break the front window with my legs and climb out to safety. I couldn't access whatever that I had stored in my boot because the lid was badly dented inwards. So I called the local police for help but they couldn't understand English. I decided not to wait for help and hiked for almost 12km (with a broken rib cage, whiplash in the neck and minor head injuries) in the dark towards the nearest village to get help. None of my 4 airbags were activated because the impact was sideways on the driver side.

After this painful ordeal, I made sure that my next car had 6 airbags and fold-down rear seats. I also bought ResQme "belt cutter/window breaker" for myself and all of my closed friends and relatives, something which I hope they will never get to use. Whenever I travel long distance, I also bring along a small bag of supplies under my seat so that I can just grab and go during emergencies:

- 2 x 500ml of water
- 4 energy bars
- 1 pack of sweets
- headlamp/ flashlight
- spare batteries
- powerbank for mobile phone
- reflective strap
- emergency cash

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:02 PM
This isn't a hypothetical one,this is a fairly serious one.

So here's the scenario: My flat mate works as a traveling sales rep. His company car is in serious need of proper maintance,which it's unlikely to get. At this point we're 8 months since its last major break down.

What I want to do is prepare a small backpack. It's contents should provide warmth and sustenance from the time of break down to the point of vehicle recovery,assuming the breakdown will happen in the butt end of southern England(so max five hours?)

Also I'm looking at staying under a budget of £20-25,and my flatmate in practical terms is vegetarian.

So...ideas please!

My car skidded down a slope along a deserted road in Malaysia on Teacher's Day 8 years ago. Being the prepper that I was, I had all sorts of tools, tire repair kit in my boot but none of them were of any use as my car was caught in between 2 trees on a slope. In the end, I had to break the front window with my legs and climb out to safety. I couldn't access whatever that I had stored in my boot because the lid was badly dented inwards. So I called the local police for help but they couldn't understand English. I decided not to wait for help and hiked for almost 12km (with a broken rib cage, whiplash in the neck and minor head injuries) in the dark towards the nearest village to get help. None of my 4 airbags were activated because the impact was sideways on the driver side.

After this painful ordeal, I made sure that my next car had 6 airbags and fold-down rear seats. I also bought ResQme "belt cutter/window breaker" for myself and all of my closed friends and relatives, something which I hope they will never get to use. Whenever I travel long distance, I also bring along a small bag of supplies under my seat so that I can just grab and go during emergencies:

- 2 x 500ml of water
- 4 energy bars
- 1 pack of sweets
- headlamp/ flashlight
- spare batteries
- powerbank for mobile phone
- reflective strap
- emergency cash

Wow, that's quite a story and an eye opener. Thanks for sharing. I moved my rescue tool from the glove compartment to the center console thinking of situations like this. They are useless if you can't get to it. Taping one to the bottom of the seat (not too deep) is a better idea  :tu:

Also like your idea of having a small emergency pack under the seat and a bigger pack in the boot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%