Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Binary Titanium Carabiner on Kickstarter

Offline iomaa

Binary Titanium Carabiner on Kickstarter
on: January 22, 2016, 04:27:54 AM
Binary Titanium Key Carabiner with a Safety Gate to protect your keys. Built-in bottle opener. Everyday Carry EDC.

We are introducing a new design of a key carabiner with the safety cage for your keys. Please see our live campaign on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1258952665/binary-titanium-key-carabiner-safety-gate-bottle-o

m1low.jpg
* m1low.jpg (Filesize: 59.77 KB)
m2.jpg
* m2.jpg (Filesize: 59.05 KB)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Binary Titanium Carabiner on Kickstarter
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 04:42:15 AM
Great design!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:38:30 AM
Simple clean design  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:06:15 PM
That's a really good idea. Price will make or break, of course. Also, why Ti? If it's just for keys, you don't really need strong and light, really just light would cover it. Ti drives up price. I'm not knocking, just genuinely curious about the choice of material.

Of course the answer "because TITANIUM, duh!" is totally acceptable :rofl:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 04:34:01 AM
That's a really good idea. Price will make or break, of course. Also, why Ti? If it's just for keys, you don't really need strong and light, really just light would cover it. Ti drives up price. I'm not knocking, just genuinely curious about the choice of material.

Totally agree. I'd be much happier with a colored aluminum or even copper. They aren't cheap metals per say, but cheaper.

I think you could get cert. For the idea and sell it to Nite-Ize for a small fortune.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 04:40:02 AM

Totally agree. I'd be much happier with a colored aluminum or even copper. They aren't cheap metals per say, but cheaper.

I think you could get cert. For the idea and sell it to Nite-Ize for a small fortune.

Exactly. Nite-Ize would be all over this.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Offline iomaa

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:20:10 AM
The titanium was chosen because of the bottle opener function and the slim design within the nesting pattern, the weight of the keys was irrelevant. I am not a fan of bulky designs of carabiners/multitools with a bottle opener at the top or bottom exposed - they tend to grab our shirts and sweaters - this design uses the space along the gate, so we need a strong material.

I am absolutely fascinated with titanium (see my tpad Kickstarter campaign), so duh titanium was a big part of the material selection: the beauty and strength of titanium is unique among all metals.

We may bring other metals in our next KS campaign, including aluminium and ss at much lower price point, but we need to run stress tests first.

Our extreme nesting feature is an important part of this design reducing the cost of titanium by roughly 40% vs "standard" production setup. We are offering a small size carabiner at $29, which I think is a good value for a carabiner with the safety cage for the keys and a bottle opener in a gr5 titanium body.

I'm a huge fan of a brilliant s-biner design, but I think our feature to protect keys is a better solution without any need for extra sliding locks.

Tom

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 05:42:02 PM
Thanks for the info :tu:

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:11 PM
Good GAWD, do you realize how long I've been looking for something just like this???? Closest I've come is the NiteIze Locking S-Biner, but it's a pain because the lock is kinda fiddly, and I really only need one end to be secure. This is PERFECT.

:woohoo:

All I need to know is: A) how much, and B) where do I send it???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%