Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another God of Rock gone.

Gareth · 30 · 2401

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Another God of Rock gone.
on: December 29, 2015, 02:23:19 AM
Sad to say I've just heard that Lemmy has died. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35192060

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Another God of Rock gone.
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:00:13 AM
that is a terrible shame. My thoughts go out to those who were to him. May the music live on, inthe hearts and minds of people for years to come
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:15:02 AM
Very sad news. He was one of the greats.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:18:47 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 06:28:51 AM
 :salute: RIP
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:35:46 AM
RIP Lemmy

Motörhead frontman Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister has died after a short battle with an 'extremely aggressive cancer', the band has confirmed.

The 70-year-old passed away just two days after he was diagnosed with the disease on December 26th, according to a post on the band's Facebook page.

The notorious hellraiser had suffered a number of health problems in recent years and was fitted with an implantable defibrillator to correct an irregular heartbeat in 2013.

Sharing the sad news on social media, the band wrote: "There is no easy way to say this…our mighty, noble friend Lemmy passed away today after a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:12:22 AM
Bugger!  :(

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:50:15 AM
Very,very sad,but not surprising

Favourite Lemmy quote? AIDS wasn't a wake up call,it's was a call to go to sleep!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:59:37 AM
As someone who grew up with Motorhead I'll miss him. However I'd rather celebrate the man who drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney, got kicked out of Hawkwind for doing too much drugs (in his own words "it's like getting kicked out of a brothel for having too much s%&") and lept with more women than many of us will even meet in a lifetime.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:41:45 AM
Very sad, the first band I ever saw was Motorhead back in the 80's  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 10:42:27 AM
RIP lemmy  :-\

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:02:15 AM
Was a pleasure listening to him live. :hatsoff:

Thanks for all the great music, Lemmy :salute:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 11:23:53 AM
He died physically but his heritage will never die

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 11:52:49 AM
I seem to recall everyone saying his days were numbered a couple of years ago but he bounced back.

About a month ago I recall reading an interview with him talking about how folks shouldn't write him off because of some illness or another, and claiming he was back and felt as good as he ever had.

And now this.

RIP Lemmy.

Def 

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 12:29:06 PM
RIP Lemmy, you will be missed  :salute:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 12:55:16 PM
He was a great rocker - he most definitely made his mark and entertained millions of people. I'm also pretty sure my hearing problems can be traced to seeing Motorhead at Reading University way back in the day. The loudest concert I have ever been too. and I've seen Slayer.

:salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 01:07:27 PM
While given the issues he had in the last few years it's not too surprising, but from what I've read he was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer on Dec 26th.

I had the luck to meet him a number of times while I was in the UK. He was always nice to us.

The gap in the music world left by him is rather vast.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 05:03:41 PM
He had one heckuva run. He said in an interview that he switched from Jack to Vodka for health reasons.  :drink:

Motorhead was simple bare bones good rock. No fluff, what you see is what you get. Like the old saying, they don't make em like that anymore.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 10:41:49 PM
I didn't get a chance to post much earlier today and then with loss of another British musician, John Bradbury from The Specials, who should deserve his own thread but I suspect not many will have heard of them.

I forgot to post this, again this mainly works for Brits of a certain age  :salute:

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 08:16:11 AM
a friend texted me saying rock is doomed. told him that we still have Angus Young and Keith Richards
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 08:34:50 AM
The thing that struck me yesterday was the number of younger guys coming up to me going ' Lemmy! He's dead!'

Maybe rock does have a future!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 11:30:15 AM
Rock n' Roll started in the 50s by the Silent Generation, Rock in the 60s by the Baby Boomers (with Punk in the 70s and Heavy Metal in the 80s going towards the Baby Busters). Those who didn't die prematurely by drugs, alcohol and accidents are now close to 90-100 years old for Rock n' Rollers, 70-80 for Rockers, 60 for Punk Rockers and 45-55 for Heavy Metal Rockers of the New Wave era. Considering most are heavy smokers/drinkers/drug abusers, it's a miracle that so many still live to die from cancer, dementia, natural causes. Maybe Rock gives life that balances the effects of unhealthy lifestyle. Maybe it is sex opportunities or high income for expensive medical treatments. Or a kind of Darwinian selection, not natural, nor sexual, but rather performance related. The less well adapted to fame/money/lifestyle die young (or get paranoid and retract). The rest can adapt and live. Lemmy lived to reach his 70s and if he didn't have cancer (he was prone to melanoma just by looking at him with my medical eye) he might live to his 80s or 90s.

All the world needs is a new Rock Revolution. Most new groups imitate or ruminate old styles, or they just add quantitive changes (faster, louder etc). Some genius might give Rock new life with a qualitive change, like Lemmy and many of the others did then. Lemmy didn't just change the way bass was played, he also had to do with Punk revolution.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:38:43 AM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 12:43:17 PM
I used data from wikipedia and made an xls (here pdf attachement) with Rock Stars and related deaths. Rock has a broad sense here, including rock prophets, jazz musicians and such. We have almost 1800 deaths and here's what it is evident.

1. Every decade we have more and more deaths, because more Rock Stars emerge and also more die.
2. Mean age of death is 51.62 years. Most are males from UK or US, where life expectancy today is 79 and 76 years, respectively*. It was less during the 50s, 60s and 70s though. Many died at a very young age and many die after the millenium at an old age, producing this 52 years mean age.
3. These people are going to continue leaving the face of earth, as we all will. Rock needs new blood and fresh air for generations to come. Somebody has to save this art from the claws of the entertainment industry and mass produced silly tunes sung by aerobic freaks, plastic dolls and gangster wannabes.

* According to UN (2012), males in Côte d'Ivoire Guinea, Uganda, Malawi, South Africa, Nigeria, Somalia, Equatorial, Guinea, Mali, Cameroon, Angola, Burundi, Mozambique, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Swaziland, Afghanistan, Zambia, Guinea-Bissau, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, Lesotho, Central African Republic   have a life expectancy less than that of the male rocker (not to speak about quality of life) and many other countries have about the same.
* Rock Star Deaths.pdf (Filesize: 994.64 KB)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:16:55 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 04:05:00 PM
I didn't get a chance to post much earlier today and then with loss of another British musician, John Bradbury from The Specials, who should deserve his own thread but I suspect not many will have heard of them.

I forgot to post this, again this mainly works for Brits of a certain age  :salute:

A friend of mine in high school was a huge Young Ones fun and we watched it constantly..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 07:52:15 PM
Yeah... the Rock'n'Roll is dead now. Died on 28th December 2015. Sure we have a Keith Richards and a Angus Young. But can they actually replace Lemmy?

Being a Die-Hard-Motörhead-Fan for almost about two decades I really doubt. But I may be not representative person to ask.

Lemmy´s death was a little shock for me. When I bought their last album at the store I told the seller "Maybe the last of their albums!". And now it happened.

I wanted to go to a concert in 2013, but they cancelled the whole tour, due to health issues of Lemmy. I suspect that was no surprise, his age and way of life might have their tribute.

Nevertheless I´m still a little sad. Motörhead is a band without surprises; buy an album and you know what you get. At least in the past...
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:08 AM
RIP :salute: Here's an interesting piece on Lemmy Kilmister. Ian 'Lemmy' Kilmister obituary
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 11:42:31 AM
Yeah... the Rock'n'Roll is dead now. Died on 28th December 2015. Sure we have a Keith Richards and a Angus Young. But can they actually replace Lemmy?

Being a Die-Hard-Motörhead-Fan for almost about two decades I really doubt. But I may be not representative person to ask.

Lemmy´s death was a little shock for me. When I bought their last album at the store I told the seller "Maybe the last of their albums!". And now it happened.

I wanted to go to a concert in 2013, but they cancelled the whole tour, due to health issues of Lemmy. I suspect that was no surprise, his age and way of life might have their tribute.

Nevertheless I´m still a little sad. Motörhead is a band without surprises; buy an album and you know what you get. At least in the past...

If Hendrix and Elvis have taught us anything, there's no such thing as a "last album" because there will be so many Greatest Hits and Previously Unreleased Material albums coming out that you will never hear the end of them.

Musicians must be so much easier to work with when they are dead.....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 11:49:22 AM
John Lennon sang in a totally new record, years after he died....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 10:01:22 PM
I think Tupac is still releasing music  :rofl:

Sorry couldn't resist  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 10:44:13 AM
Jack Daniels is going to release a barel to 288 Motorhead bottles, at $99.
It's my daughter's favorite drink and I like it too. I've seen it held also by other rock stars over the years.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 02:32:20 PM

Lemmy & Metallica  :salute:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!