Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

JCPenny Rescue Tool

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
JCPenny Rescue Tool
on: January 23, 2016, 10:51:44 PM

Was in two minds to get this for our beater car. A cheap rescue tool  :think:  127 Hours came into my mind. It was on clearance 70% off and since it was the last one felt that it was my duty to grab it.

Should I keep it in the car for emergency use? I have no way of testing the glass breaker. Compared to the Z-Rex the bit looks chunky. Do these tools need to pass certain tests before they are sold as rescue tools?
CarTool1.JPG
* CarTool1.JPG (Filesize: 132.36 KB)
CarTool2.JPG
* CarTool2.JPG (Filesize: 128.5 KB)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: JCPenny Rescue Tool
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:22:22 PM

Was in two minds to get this for our beater car. A cheap rescue tool  :think:  127 Hours came into my mind. It was on clearance 70% off and since it was the last one felt that it was my duty to grab it.

Should I keep it in the car for emergency use? I have no way of testing the glass breaker. Compared to the Z-Rex the bit looks chunky. Do these tools need to pass certain tests before they are sold as rescue tools?

As far as the cheap (likely Chiniese) produced rescue tools go I would not count on any real testing going on, but its just a guess.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 03:13:14 AM

As far as the cheap (likely Chiniese) produced rescue tools go I would not count on any real testing going on, but its just a guess.

JC Penny is a reputed store, right? Will they sell crap? It does not say anywhere that the Glass Breaker is carbide like in the branded tools. Don't know if that is just marketing or if carbide makes a difference.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:41:31 AM

JC Penny is a reputed store, right? Will they sell crap? It does not say anywhere that the Glass Breaker is carbide like in the branded tools. Don't know if that is just marketing or if carbide makes a difference.

Of course JC Penny will sells crap. Any store no matter reputation can and will. They just sell it. They don't care if it's good or not.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:42:42 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:06:37 AM
I watched some youtube videos on glass breakers/rescue tools and looks like some work better than others. The carbide tip keeps it edge that's why they are better. Apparently glass is harder than steel. So the cheapo glass breaker are pretty much one time use only unless you sharpen the edge after each use.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/breaking-glass/

Another thing to note is the technique. Keep tapping at a corner of the window not the center for better results. There is no need to swing with force. There was one cheapo tool that did not work at all  :o I suspect it must have been dropped or not sharpened enough at the factory.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:17:01 AM by rishardh »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:13:53 AM

I watched some youtube videos on glass breakers/rescue tools and looks like some work better than others. The carbide tip keeps it edge that's why they are better. Also keep tapping at a corner of the window not the center for better results. There was one cheapo tool that did not work at all  :o

If it doesn't work just throw it through.  :D

I'm the milk man!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:26 AM

I watched some youtube videos on glass breakers/rescue tools and looks like some work better than others. The carbide tip keeps it edge that's why they are better. Also keep tapping at a corner of the window not the center for better results. There was one cheapo tool that did not work at all  :o

:facepalm:  :rofl:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 07:26:25 AM

:facepalm:  :rofl:

Its a joke, but may be a legitimate option at that point.  :shrug:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:27:19 PM

I guarantee you 100% that if you keep this knife in your car in case of an emergency, it will work as a glass breaker, or for cutting your own arm off, better than any of the other knives you own that are still at home in your desk drawer. 

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 11:55:25 PM

I guarantee you 100% that if you keep this knife in your car in case of an emergency, it will work as a glass breaker, or for cutting your own arm off, better than any of the other knives you own that are still at home in your desk drawer.

Haha, good point. It's in the car now.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 12:28:16 AM
Looks like a chubby version of something Swiss Tech released last year.  Yeah, keep it in your car.  It's better than nothing.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 07:41:29 PM
They absolutely pass tests before being sold.

Those tests are generally "Will this make us money Yes/No?"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:15:58 PM
What Alan said is so true.  On that note tho I'd "test" the tool as best you can.  Maybe strike something with the glass breaker and see how the tool holds up.  If you have extra laptop strap maybe give it a cut and see how that feature works. 

I'm all about having "a tool" in your car for emergency but why not give a "test" first?

As to glass breaking, I've seen windows not budge from hammer strikes.  Glass can be difficult to break.   I've seen spark plug inner ceramic piece go thru very easily.  Carbide is a great material for breaking thru glass vs SS.

Not to sound like a jerk but would you trust that tool with your family on the other side of the glass?   

Here is a good site to better explain breaking glass. 

EDIT.  I have an auto center punch in my truck. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:18:53 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 10:14:42 PM
What Alan said is so true.  On that note tho I'd "test" the tool as best you can.  Maybe strike something with the glass breaker and see how the tool holds up.  If you have extra laptop strap maybe give it a cut and see how that feature works. 

I'm all about having "a tool" in your car for emergency but why not give a "test" first?

As to glass breaking, I've seen windows not budge from hammer strikes.  Glass can be difficult to break.   I've seen spark plug inner ceramic piece go thru very easily.  Carbide is a great material for breaking thru glass vs SS.

Not to sound like a jerk but would you trust that tool with your family on the other side of the glass?   

Here is a good site to better explain breaking glass. 

EDIT.  I have an auto center punch in my truck.

I also like to try things first before putting them away for later use. That's why I was frustrated that I could not test the glass breaker. Good tip on trying it on other things to see if it gets blunt. Will do that this weekend. Thanks  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:41:19 PM
You can also use the porcelain  from a spark plug as well. Very easily I might add and a whole lot smaller to carry tho may not be legal in your area.  :D

Called Ninja Rocks by some try an internet search to see more info.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:47:24 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

Offline shecky

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 08:12:55 PM
They absolutely pass tests before being sold.

Those tests are generally "Will this make us money Yes/No?"

Selling is the test!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 05:27:34 AM
You can also use the porcelain  from a spark plug as well. Very easily I might add and a whole lot smaller to carry tho may not be legal in your area.  :D

Called Ninja Rocks by some try an internet search to see more info.

Those Ninja Rocks will make a good backup. Cost nothing and does not take any storage space. By the looks of it you do not have to throw it hard either so might work from inside throwing out. Thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%