Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix uc35 rechargeable flashlight review

nl Offline anditsgone

Fenix uc35 rechargeable flashlight review
on: January 28, 2016, 01:07:35 PM
So in my second review i will be reviewing my Fenix UC 35 led flashlight.

It might be a little bit of a mess because i just type what comes to my mind.  :D

I wanted a light that was as bright as possible because i sometimes go free diving with my friends at the local swimming pond. It is only 6 meters deep but we've found a lot of things there. My 180 lumen maglite didnt too well functioning as a dive light because it isnt bright enough.
The uc 35 is 960 lumen so it should be much better. Unfortunately it is not warm enough to go swimming again but we wil see how it goes.

Back to the light.
The light has 5 different modes and strobe mode.
Specs:

14 lumen 150hours
60 lumen 38 hours
180 lumen 9 15 hours
480 lumen 2 40 hours
960 lumen 1 30 hours  (when in this mode it switches to 480 lumen after about 10 minutes. You can switch it up       
                                    again but the light will get very hot. When out doors or in cold weather / wind the light     
                                    does not get hot and it sometimes switches back after an hour or so but that has to do     
                                    with the lowering battery voltage)

It gives a nice wide beam with no rings or dark spots. The throw is about 100 to 150 meters

You can switch between modes by using the side mounted switch. It goes higher every time you press it. When you hold it down for about 2 seconds it goes to strobe.
The back switch is just for (momentery) on/off.
The side switch was the reason i bought this light. I didnt want a light that you have to double press, hold 3 seconds half press then triple press etc..... :facepalm:

The light remembers in which setting the light was when you switched it off and automatically goes to the last selected setting. Strobe is not included.

The light can not tail stand because the switch protrudes too far from the body.
The pocket clip works excellent and fits really snug around the body of the flashlight. I have not managed to get it of the flashlight yet. It grips your pocket really tight and because there is knurling on the body it wont slip out.
I always carry the light in the pocket of my work coat by using the pocket clip. It has never fallen out of it.

The light is rechargeable by using just a micro USB cable and an iPhone charger, laptop or car adapter. Before i had bought the light i was afraid that the Micro USB port might be a weak point that would break within a year. But it looks to be one of the more higher quality USB ports and fits really tight around the cable so it is important that you insert the cable straight in the port and not under an angle. The only way this will fail is by misuse or abuse. If the port ever gets broken you can always charge the battery's externally so it is not that the whole light is wrecked.

The light has IPX 8 water and dust proofing. The switch module, light head and body are sealed by o rings. To extra water proof it you could always grease the threads with grease. The rear switch looks to be sealed properly as does the side switch. The rubber charging flap is only for dust and mud because there are always water droplets behind every time the light was submerged. Their website states that the charging port is water proof to a depth of 2 meters. This is probably more because they always play save. But if the rubber cap ever gets ripped of or something i will cut an old bicycle tube at a length of 1 inch and put it around the charging port area of the body. This will also fully waterproof the light.

The body is made of hardened aluminium with a though black coating. I have dropped the light a couple of times and used it a lot while fixing my car and it only has very minor damage to it. The lens is made of hardened glas and if have not managed to scratch it.

I always use the light for working on cars or when i am in the woods. I always use the light on the highest setting and have never managed to completely drain the battery. The light autmatically switches to a lower setting when the battery is drained. You can switch it up again but it will go to a lower setting in a couple of minutes depending on how low the battery is. When the battery is 1/3 of its capacity the side switch blinks red, and when charged it gives a constant red light. If the light is fully charged it shows a green light.
I always charge the light at night and cannot say how long it takes to charge the light.

The light comes with a set of spare o rings, spare tail button. A lanyard and a holster. One 3200 mah fenix 18650 battery and 5 year free repair and limited life time warranty. I paid 89 euros for the light which i find a lot of money. But if this light will last me 5 years of hard use i think it is definitely worth it.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 187.18 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 201.58 KB)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:13:27 PM by anditsgone »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Fenix uc35 rechargeable flashlight review
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:43:46 PM
Good work!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:26:50 PM
I've been a flashlight junkie for 30 years, and this is one of most awesome lights I've ever seen.  I have the non-USB flavor.  So much light in a small package.  Something that we could only dream of when Mag-lite was the king of the hill.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:41:21 PM
I've been a flashlight junkie for 30 years, and this is one of most awesome lights I've ever seen.  I have the non-USB flavor.  So much light in a small package.  Something that we could only dream of when Mag-lite was the king of the hill.

Yeaah, in comparison to my 3d led maglite (which i do like very much) this thing feels like a light bomb in your hand.
Even though it is small compared to the maglit I think it is too large to carry as edc with my pockets already full with my knife, wallet and zippo. It does slip in a jacket pocket easily.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:14:13 PM by anditsgone »

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33:15 AM
Thank you very much for this write up! Very informative.

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:34:53 AM by SolomonKane79 »
Antonio

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24