Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Winter / snow boots

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Winter / snow boots
on: August 31, 2008, 02:35:17 PM
hey what kind of winter boots u guys use?

im looking for ones in style o might call"caribou",with that rubber tip,coarse grip and maybe synthetic or leather othervise,in dark colours,camo/black/od/dark brown...

somethin like these:

any suggestions&links to shops selling&shipping?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:43:25 PM by Tarrodemierda »

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: Winter / snow boots
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:06:30 PM
I have had this pair for forty years,little worn,but they still keep my feet dry and warm. http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=111

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:11:12 PM
Forty years :o :o :o :o :o :o well ill be damned,so i really dont have to worry about quality of that one brand.

:cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:14:54 PM
These one's http://www.johnbullclothing.com/products_boots.asp?ID=71 amazingly warm and comfortable, too bad I destroyed mine in a bike accident ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:19:20 PM
well ive never would thought that we even have some of those boots since thats not known brand at all here,sorel i mean...but :

http://www.brandos.fi/sorel/1964-premium-1200/

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:21:13 PM
These one's http://www.johnbullclothing.com/products_boots.asp?ID=71 amazingly warm and comfortable, too bad I destroyed mine in a bike accident ::)

yep!

theyre kinda like one of my older boots,HAIX brand,very similar and also expensive :D.i wish i could buy ones like that in every two years....

but hey Mike,that shop seems to have all kindsa other goodies as well,thanks!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 06:24:17 PM
There are several good brands I'm sure, but my favorite has always been Lacrosse.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/category/cold+weather+boots.do

Our winters here in Michigan may not be as bad as Finland, but surely they are harsher than most. I use lightweight neoprene Burly's in the late fall for deer hunting, then heavyweight pac boots in the winter for ice fishing and clearing my driveway. Lacrosse has never given me a reason to try others. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 10:26:26 PM

yep!

theyre kinda like one of my older boots,HAIX brand,very similar and also expensive :D.i wish i could buy ones like that in every two years....

but hey Mike,that shop seems to have all kindsa other goodies as well,thanks!
Yep there's lot's off goodies there :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 10:34:56 PM
There are several good brands I'm sure, but my favorite has always been Lacrosse.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/category/cold+weather+boots.do

Our winters here in Michigan may not be as bad as Finland, but surely they are harsher than most. I use lightweight neoprene Burly's in the late fall for deer hunting, then heavyweight pac boots in the winter for ice fishing and clearing my driveway. Lacrosse has never given me a reason to try others. :)

i believe that,all i hear about lacrosse,and red is pure good words.
and for prices like that,no wonder :D
my dad was a shoemaker and thatway ive learned to be real picky on shoes and i dont mind spendng on those,if theyre really well made and last for years,its the quality that counts for me,the fact that is it "hip" or fashion or trendy is allways totally irrelevant for me.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 11:33:56 PM
My favorite brand of boots is Magnum. I wear them everyday while working and sometimes when I'm not working.. They are the best, IMO. http://www.magnumboots.com/
B

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 11:48:12 PM
i have one pair of magnums :cheers:,theyre more like tactical boots,the model i have though.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 01:05:03 AM
Yeah, I was a bit tired when I was reading this I guess..  :D
B

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 01:17:04 AM
Magnum Hitechs were about the best boots I ever had, but again, those are more tactical boots than winter boots.  Still, I have never been big on winter boots, partially because I am not a bog fan of winter and it's accompanying cold!

Usually I just wear tactical or work boots with a few layers of socks inside.  I have some thin almost spandex like socks, followed by a regular cotton type sport sock and a high quality wool sock over those.  That arrangement has kept all my toes in the right places so far, and so I'm not likely to change any time soon.

I have been half-heartedly looking for a nice set of Doc Martens though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 02:59:20 PM
Doc Martens are total AZZ kickin boots.  As for winter footwear I guess that I have become an expert since I work in a -20 environment at work.  Insulated boots are great as long as you know what to wear under them.  I have tried all methods to keep my feet warm.  I have found that goretex and thinsulate boots are great as long as you wear light breathable socks and only one pair of them.  Anything else and your feet sweat and you get cold easily.  I have a pair of 600 gram rockys and they are great but I tried 2 pair of socks and my feet sweat too much and they get cold.   

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 01:26:09 AM
Doc Martens are total AZZ kickin boots.  As for winter footwear I guess that I have become an expert since I work in a -20 environment at work.  Insulated boots are great as long as you know what to wear under them.  I have tried all methods to keep my feet warm.  I have found that goretex and thinsulate boots are great as long as you wear light breathable socks and only one pair of them.  Anything else and your feet sweat and you get cold easily.  I have a pair of 600 gram rockys and they are great but I tried 2 pair of socks and my feet sweat too much and they get cold.   

Yep about the Docs and the socks and the boots :salute: :D

I guess I agree with the whole post ::) :D That's pretty much what I have found over the years I try to only wear 1 pair of socks (usually a thicker boot sock but still breathable ;) ) with goretex and thinsulate boots and last few years it has been Rockys I believe they are 800 gram thinsulate (have to go check to be sure )

Offline knucklebuster

Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:58:43 AM
 It does not get that cold around here (northern california) but in winter I find myself wearing my belleville tactical boots, even in the snow.
They have goretex lining,a fully sewn tongue and vibram soles, if I am going to be out all day, I throw on a pair of silk socks
(yeah I get wierd looks buying em) or super thin ultramax sport socks under my regular pair, they wick away moisture and prevent blisters, otherwise I just wear a pair of wigwam wool socks

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 09:39:09 AM
after gettin some insurance companys moneys after that leg-accident,i just received new winter shoes,from Sorel,they look pretty ugly but so do i :D too,and im sure theyre warm cause they have 13mm thick removable insulated liner-shoes :drool:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 02:32:09 PM
Sorels are great!  They would be overkill for SE MO though...

I just wear my Gore-Tex, Vibram soled Montrail Torre GTX hiking boots.
- Terry

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 05:11:39 PM
Sorels are great!  They would be overkill for SE MO though...

I just wear my Gore-Tex, Vibram soled Montrail Torre GTX hiking boots.

i would too if the price would be more of my range,man :D

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 02:13:46 PM
Resurrecting a VERY old thread here, apologies.

I am looking for some winter boots, and was wondering whether anyone would have any suggestions. I've been looking on the net but haven't had any luck fulfilling these criteria:

1) available in the UK
2) no laces, pull on or slip on design
3) ankle, or slightly above ankle height, not just covering the foot or going halfway up the calf
4) good quality, reputable company
5) waterproof, and good treads which will give good grip when we have the odd snowfall here in the UK

My price range is up to around £60, so I don't expect boots that I can go on arctic expeditions with.

Appreciate any suggestions / advice.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 03:17:44 AM
No worries about resurrecting an old thread :salute: We celebrate the old threads :D

I really can't help you out because I am in the UK but hopefully some of the other guys from there can help you :tu:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:52 AM
I just use Bog's. They are the best boot and come up quite high like just below the knee so water or snow it doesn't matter.  I have never had cold feet since I have been wearing them.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 07:12:50 AM
Good grip yet slip on instead of laces?
Sounds like mission impossible to me... ;)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 11:01:47 AM
nothing to add regarding Winter boots, but...

did nobody realise what the OP's username stands for?   ???
In my language (Spanish), it means... well.

You already know    :rofl:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 12:05:45 PM
Yes we did realize that :facepalm: :D Since it is an English speaking forum they just let it slide I guess ::) :o

I do remember Grant saying he spit his coffee on his screen with laughter when he first read the name and was like :rofl: and  :facepalm: at the same time :D

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 12:45:52 PM
Yup, that name is a classic indeed....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 12:55:56 PM
For full on snow boots I use North Face Chilkats.  Mine have laces but they do a version that is pull-on.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 02:23:36 PM
The North Face pull-on Chilkats look very good, but unfortunately no longer seem to be available, especially not in the UK. This is the problem I am running into again and again, other similar boots I found were the Hi-Tec Men's Terra Lox Mid 200 I Winter Boot, and the Columbia Men's Bugaboot Slip-On; again, neither of which I can find in the UK.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 03:12:26 PM
Damn, that's a shame.  Thinking a bit more laterally; have you looked at lined rigger boots?  Something like this perhaps? https://www.screwfix.com/p/hyena-nevis-waterproof-safety-rigger-boots-brown-size-10/9983d
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:17:09 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 03:28:29 PM
That's what I may end up having to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to have to be careful I don't get something too heavy and stiff, that would make taking long walks in it difficult.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%