Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fatwood match: Just a thought

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Fatwood match: Just a thought
on: December 02, 2017, 07:39:22 PM
I'm just curious why I've never seen this. I've seen people scrape the heads of matches off to make their own of various materials. It seems like this would work. I just don't have the materials to make them. If someone runs with this idea, please post back on results.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Fatwood match: Just a thought
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:54 PM
In theory it should work fine :think: but it might work to good and catch yourself on fire :ahhh :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:12:07 PM
In theory it should work fine :think: but it might work to good and catch yourself on fire :ahhh :D
Isn't that what we awl want? Dangerous fire making stuff? :dd:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:44:41 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm fire

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:56:03 AM
Brilliant idea, but I'm afraid someone has beat you to it.  There are many such products available.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:15:37 PM
Well... yes and no. They are firestarters, but all of those are compressed sawdust with a binder (or something similar), not fatwood. And they're not matches.

But yeah, same idea.

Offline Mattexian

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:16:42 AM
My experience with fatwood is that it tends to dry out if you cut it up into useable sizes then store it away for a while, like a year or less.  There's nothing wrong with pine slivers, they're still very flammable, work great for kindling and tinder, but the resin would evaporate away.  It worked much better to build the kindling pile with fatwood slivers wedged thru it, then light a match and ignite a long sliver of fatwood and use that to ignite the pile at various points.

I'm probably a little spoiled, in that i live in an area where old pine stumps are plentiful in the woods, so I can collect "fresh" fatwood any time I'm out.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

R

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:33:03 AM
My experience with fatwood is that it tends to dry out if you cut it up into useable sizes then store it away for a while, like a year or less.  There's nothing wrong with pine slivers, they're still very flammable, work great for kindling and tinder, but the resin would evaporate away.  It worked much better to build the kindling pile with fatwood slivers wedged thru it, then light a match and ignite a long sliver of fatwood and use that to ignite the pile at various points.

I'm probably a little spoiled, in that i live in an area where old pine stumps are plentiful in the woods, so I can collect "fresh" fatwood any time I'm out.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

I'm sure that could be fixed by some kind of clear coating. I'd be in for fatwood matches though to be honest, UCO stormproof matches are probably a better bet though. Won't burn as long but will burn far more furiously and really are stormproof.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:37:46 AM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 10:20:48 AM
so in theory you could take small sticks (no larger than pencil sized) of some softer wood, put them in melted lard or any other sort of fat and then dip them in melted wax which would seal them. this sounds a bit too simple but might be worth a shot for those who like to experiment
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:34 PM
There's really no point in coating an object in fat then in wax. Wax is flammable.

And, by the way, a bit related, corrugated cardboard, dipped in wax is great. The hollow chambers in the cardboard soak up the wax, and the whole thing works great for wicking the wax up to burn.

The 'resin evaporates' issue isn't one I was aware of. I've never found fatwood in the wild, but I'm from a place without a lot of pine.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 06:39:42 PM
so in theory you could take small sticks (no larger than pencil sized) of some softer wood, put them in melted lard or any other sort of fat and then dip them in melted wax which would seal them. this sounds a bit too simple but might be worth a shot for those who like to experiment
Yes. Fats and oils are more readily absorbed by most types of wood than wax. However, not really worth making. I tried before. Now for cotton balls, a good mix is 50/50 beeswax and animal fat. Best part is, whatever is left after it cools is great for leather and wood. The wood or leather will absorb the oils and the wax water proofs it for a while. Makes for a great polish also.
Melting pine pitch and dipping some cotton balls works even better. Stuff goes up like gasoline.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:49:47 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:53:00 PM
I'm just curious why I've never seen this. I've seen people scrape the heads of matches off to make their own of various materials. It seems like this would work. I just don't have the materials to make them. If someone runs with this idea, please post back on results.
I forget the you tubers name, he had made some this way. They seemed to work pretty good. I have seen  people use fatwood for viking matches also.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:54:24 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 08:13:28 PM
Just made myself up a batch of waxed sisal rope (4 strand) tonight. Once cut down it will make a great long burning waterproof 'match' once lit and this stuff up lights nice and easy from a firesteel should you be so desperate as to have to use one. :D

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:16:28 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 08:49:54 PM
 I do that same thing with jute.  :tu:

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 01:10:32 AM
This is what I call a fatwood or firesteel match...a little tinder and the match is held with the striker when scraping. Twigs, spent matchsticks, birthday candles etc. can be used. It works well with small firesteels (like the tiny one glued to the bottom of a plastic match safe) because the tinder travels with the sparks..keeping them concentrated.
fatmatch01.jpg
* fatmatch01.jpg (Filesize: 54.11 KB)
fatmatch02.jpg
* fatmatch02.jpg (Filesize: 36.67 KB)
fatmatch03.jpg
* fatmatch03.jpg (Filesize: 28.91 KB)
fatmatch04.jpg
* fatmatch04.jpg (Filesize: 46.92 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 01:15:24 AM
more...
fatmatch101.jpg
* fatmatch101.jpg (Filesize: 97.64 KB)
fatmatch103.jpg
* fatmatch103.jpg (Filesize: 93.46 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:17 AM
I've also made DIY SAs...on storm matches. I might have put too much compound on them...they were a bit zesty :ahhh

They worked well, but I don't think it's worth the effort.
diy_matches001.jpg
* diy_matches001.jpg (Filesize: 23.17 KB)
diy_matches002.jpg
* diy_matches002.jpg (Filesize: 24.37 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 01:23:45 AM
Spork!  :ahhh :ahhh

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 01:24:58 AM
No match can be too zesty.  :P :rofl:

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 07:10:00 AM
I do that same thing with jute.  :tu:

Sorry, mine was jute, was writing it too fast and screwed up.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 07:11:24 AM
screwed up again, sigh.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 10:16:01 AM
This is what I call a fatwood or firesteel match...a little tinder and the match is held with the striker when scraping. Twigs, spent matchsticks, birthday candles etc. can be used. It works well with small firesteels (like the tiny one glued to the bottom of a plastic match safe) because the tinder travels with the sparks..keeping them concentrated.
Nice to see you Spork!
Nate

SEND IT!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 07:58:26 PM
Nice to see you Spork!
:salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44