Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the Leatherman Charge TTi worth it if I already have a Leatherman Wave?

us Offline CannedBullets

So how much of a step up is the Charge TTi compared to a Leatherman Wave or Swissool Spirit X? I've been EDC'ing both the Wave and the Spirit X but I've been interested in the Charge TTi because of the titanium handles. But is it worth it to justify the price?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Depends. :D  How much do you want the Ti handles?  Do you need the other features too - gut hook, fancy steel and cap crimper?  Personally I don't feel it's any better than a Wave or Spirit but it does look nice.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Meh, get a Surge and a Blunt Nose MP600 for when you need something bigger.   :multi:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Slightly underwhelmed by my Charge... then again I was underwhelmed by the Surge too... Vic rocks  :surrender:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Get a Spirit... :D

Personally, I'd choose the Charge TTi over the Wave any day but here price difference is not that much. I find the Charge more comfortable in my hands and I find the Wave ugly...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
I prefer the looks of the Charge over the Wave. I'm also biased as an XTi was my first MT, so I'm partial to the Ti Charges.

If you have the Wave and the tool load works for you, then it's preference. You're really not gaining all that much in tool by going up to the TTi.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
 Charger wider and not a real weight advantage plus pricey,wave for me  :tu:

fi Offline Padre

Not worth it if you already think about the prize. TTi has better grip in the handles and that is the best part about it. Hook isn't that good. Still it is the best multitool I know and I have been using it everyday for the last eight months. Do you plan using it for electrical work? Then the pliers are better (for crimping abiko-style connectors). So: Not worth the money really, but you will never go back if money isn't the problem.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline powernoodle

But is it worth it to justify the price?

No.  Now, I have a TTi in my arsenal, but my credit card is bigger than my brain.  I got one just for the fun of it.  But its hardly worth the upcharge [<< pun].

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
This quandary comes up often.  The simple answer based on your question is NO.  The Ti handles are not worth the price IMO.  If you are in an area where the tool is comparable price wise then ok why not. 

The tool set is very similar with some already mentioned differences.  I found the cap crimper plier head a bother and the knife steel while nice isn't going to cut better than the Waves steel.   

Now if you are like many of us then by all mean you must get one for the collection.  I have one and while it saw immediate usage it over my Wave the excitement passed.  Z man mentioned the Surge, this tool is a beast mode when compared to both Wave and Charge.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
I find the Wave to cover 80% of all light work I do around the house. Anything
else I go to my tool chest.

When outdoors working on projects not requiring power tools or a hatchet/axe
I use my ST300 and keep a SwissTool SpiritX in my vehicle bag for traveling
among other things.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
I would say NO also.  I think the price is not worth it here at least which is at least 2x the price of the Wave.  I am sure the Ti handles are nice and like others have said there are some tool differences but that might or might not be a good/useful thing depending on your tool needs.  I also don't like the cap crimper built in the piler's head as for me it a tool that would not see much use at all.  Don't get me wrong, I have a Wave but never really been a fan of it.  I mainly have it for the pliers to compliment a SAK but sometime I will most likely pass it along and just use my Surge!

Another point is that if you do get one, you would end up with two light/medium duty MT's so I would also suggest getting either a Surge or the ST300 for heavy duty needs.  Both are great MT's and will hold up to anything you throw at them!

I like the Charge Ti and wish they still made them!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club

I say skip the Charge TTi and get the the Charge TTi Camo for it's beauty  :D

us Offline CannedBullets

Bit the bullet. Bought a Charge TTi solely for collecting and EDC'ing.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
I finally thought of a good reason to buy a Charge TTi over a Wave.

Anodizing!

(pic blatantly stolen from Psycopyro)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline CannedBullets

So mine came in today and I'm a bit disappointed. It just doesn't feel as nice as I thought it would and it isn't as much of an upgrade over the Wave for me. Maybe I just need to break it in more.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Many noes made a yes?   :think:

:worthless:

us Offline CannedBullets

Solely bought it for collecting. I think I'll still keep my Wave as my main EDC for now.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
How much did the tti cost you, may I ask? How does that clip fit? Any wiggle? For collectabilty, I find the Tti with old scale design more polish. It feels better in my hand. I have both old and new. The clip fits better on my old one.

I reckon Leatherman changed the scale design to carter people wanting to have letters engraved on the flat ground surface, with a slight sacrifice on the comfort.

us Offline CannedBullets

How much did the tti cost you, may I ask? How does that clip fit? Any wiggle? For collectabilty, I find the Tti with old scale design more polish. It feels better in my hand. I have both old and new. The clip fits better on my old one.

I reckon Leatherman changed the scale design to carter people wanting to have letters engraved on the flat ground surface, with a slight sacrifice on the comfort.

I bought it from ebay for $120 new. Its cheaper from ebay vendors than Amazon vendors. The clip wiggles a bit but not as much as the clip on my Wave.

cz Offline Roman Bureš

TTi is the best EDC ever! But it's verz expensive. It must be love, if you buy it!  :D However who try it, never leave it...
LEATHERMAN COLLECTOR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Solely bought it for collecting. I think I'll still keep my Wave as my main EDC for now.

Great tool for the collection as is the Ti with 154cm blade.  I don't use either as my Waves are my go to tools.  I would however put a TTi or Ti blade on my Wave just because.  I've no use for the CC plier head and found it to be annoying for my uses. 

Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Padre

I'm surprised that you didn't like it?
Also listen the forum next time then.  >:D

You will find it nicer after some time.
At least its lighter too?

You will love it soon.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
G'Day,

I love the original Charge Ti. I also prefer the older scales to the new ones. The older ones looks a little more refined to me. I EDC it often and it always goes with me on holidays combined with the full bit holder kit. I find that it covers all my needs from cooking to fixing stuff. In saying that I don't have a new Wave, just the original one so cannot really give a comparative answer.

Give it some EDC time, it looks good with the clip.  ;)

Pete

us Offline jlwatso1

Not sure if you are into modding, but the scales on it seem to be good places to hide accessories like Vic. Check out this link for some inspiration! I found it to be a good read. :tu:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41159.msg657045.html#msg657045
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:24:48 PM by jlwatso1 »

us Offline powernoodle

When the fever strikes, there is no stopping it.  It has to run its course. 

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

When the fever strikes, there is no stopping it.  It has to run its course.

:assimilate:

us Offline ekwansworks

• New User
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I currently have a Wave as well and I think I would like the Charge instead. After reading a few posts about the heat treated scales, I think I'm going to get one of these.
I haven't seen too many discounts or sales on Leathermans, so, I may wait until next paycheck or something  :)

au Offline T.Sawyer

After losing my beloved tti, I replaced it with a Wave. Pretty happy with it. The only thing I miss is this the hook. I used it probably everyday at work. I'll get another one day but the price has to be right. Also I felt the scales to be tougher than the scales on the wave. Just worried about putting dents in the scales my Wave. (I'm pretty rough when I'm desperate ).
Otoh, I have ordered a Surge before another Charge tti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:49:14 AM by T.Sawyer »
Tom

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62