Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Soldier or Electrician?

us Offline Joe58

Re: Soldier or Electrician?
Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 12:05:40 AM
Certainly not intended to throw mud at anybody, just making an observation I've always enjoyed....so please don't hate me.

I always chuckle when I see a pic of someone hacking their can open on the kitchen counter with their Vic opener, when I'm sure that in 99.98% of the time, there is a much more efficient and better can opener in the drawer. But what fun is that? And please don't tell my wife, but I've found her to be my most efficient can and bottle opener ever. I don't even have to stop watching tv or anything. Easy peezy. ;)

But people enjoy using the SAK's and that's what important. I really don't think there is one Vic to rule them all. :) So no offense meant please. That's why I love the diversity of our forum and the large number of models to choose from to meet your needs.

And from my own past experiences using that little flathead screwdriver on the top of the opener, the first time I use it, it twists the corners of it up and gets all buggered to where I'm tapping it back flat again with a small hammer. Again, that's just me. If they work for you, that's a good thing.

I just find more use for the eblade. Not so much as a wire stripper. Any blade will do that just fine. But it sharpens up like a razor and slices like crazy.

🇨🇭

fi Offline temo

Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 01:26:07 AM
Well I could steal honda commercial idea. I wish all would have pioneer (so I could have electrician). But with cadet you maybe could use nail file for small philips. I have used squirt flat philips quite a lot and works fine (small philips in battery covers etc important tasks).

Offline Tom Schneider

Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 02:03:38 AM
The more I read this thread the more I'm thinking I need a custom with both the eblade and can opener/flat phillips! :)

us Offline Joe58

Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:53 AM
Well I could steal honda commercial idea. I wish all would have pioneer (so I could have electrician). But with cadet you maybe could use nail file for small philips. I have used squirt flat philips quite a lot and works fine (small philips in battery covers etc important tasks).

I should add to my earlier rambling post that I do augment my electrician carry with a minichamp which does come in quite handy for those toy battery compartments, the scissors, 2 small blades, coke spoon, nail file, etc. so I do find a fair amount if use for the complement on board my minichamps. It's a great pairing with whatever your larger choice of SAK may be.
🇨🇭

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 05:34:01 AM

I should add to my earlier rambling post that I do augment my electrician carry with a minichamp which does come in quite handy for those toy battery compartments, the scissors, 2 small blades, coke spoon, nail file, etc. so I do find a fair amount if use for the complement on board my minichamps. It's a great pairing with whatever your larger choice of SAK may be.

I also like to carry a baby SAK for scissors mostly.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 07:25:58 AM
Certainly not intended to throw mud at anybody, just making an observation I've always enjoyed....so please don't hate me.

I always chuckle when I see a pic of someone hacking their can open on the kitchen counter with their Vic opener, when I'm sure that in 99.98% of the time, there is a much more efficient and better can opener in the drawer. But what fun is that? And please don't tell my wife, but I've found her to be my most efficient can and bottle opener ever. I don't even have to stop watching tv or anything. Easy peezy. ;)

But people enjoy using the SAK's and that's what important. I really don't think there is one Vic to rule them all. :) So no offense meant please. That's why I love the diversity of our forum and the large number of models to choose from to meet your needs.

And from my own past experiences using that little flathead screwdriver on the top of the opener, the first time I use it, it twists the corners of it up and gets all buggered to where I'm tapping it back flat again with a small hammer. Again, that's just me. If they work for you, that's a good thing.

I just find more use for the eblade. Not so much as a wire stripper. Any blade will do that just fine. But it sharpens up like a razor and slices like crazy.

You know we don't hate each other so  :cheers: :drink:

As far as efficiency goes, I've found that a Vic opener it the most efficient can opener in my hands, followed closely by the p-38 (which went M.I.A.). the big can openers with a twisting handle (reference picture) always seem to break on me

having said that, a small sheepsfoot blade would be very nice to have in some situations
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 08:56:31 AM
These were available from SMKW. Got the electrician blade, the can opener and the phillips (2 of them actually)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Joe58

Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 10:03:39 PM
Now that's a pretty cool model. Model name? Needs to be alox though. Lol. :tu:

Harley - have you carried your mini using the pocket clip? I'm just curious if it slips out on you given the light weight.....
🇨🇭

scotland Offline Boaz

Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 10:47:30 PM

The more time I spend on here the more I think 'ooh I want that'. However when I first read this thread I looked at both knives (I am still learning about the models) to compare, I have a solider but now think ' I want an electrician'. Both have their plus points and it would be good to swap between the two. I do think the can opener must get limited use.
:salute:
Same case here,
Got a Soldier? Want an Electrician or a Rancher!

I'm sure we are in good company!

Get an XLT,  it has all three tools.  >:D

I'm now off to search for XLT!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 11:32:14 PM

The more time I spend on here the more I think 'ooh I want that'. However when I first read this thread I looked at both knives (I am still learning about the models) to compare, I have a solider but now think ' I want an electrician'. Both have their plus points and it would be good to swap between the two. I do think the can opener must get limited use.
:salute:
Same case here,
Got a Soldier? Want an Electrician or a Rancher!

I'm sure we are in good company!

Get an XLT,  it has all three tools.  >:D

I'm now off to search for XLT!

:cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 12:41:59 AM
What does the sheepsfoot blade do that the regular big blade can't?

What does the can opener / Phillips driver do that the sheepsfoot can't?

Pioneer for me.
Agreed. Now if we were taking a Pioneer Rancher..... :drool:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%