Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Myerchin BF300P Folding Knife

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Myerchin BF300P Folding Knife
on: February 04, 2016, 05:34:09 PM
Hi everyone, i would like to give you MTO folks a quick review of the Myerchin BF300P, which has been my dayily carry at work for a couple of years. Myerchin is a well known brand among professionals who work at sea or around boats. They gained respect with quality and reliability
through the years. They have been even the US Navy and USCG official supplier.
The model in the subject is a "second generation" Myerchin which basically means it is a liner-locking knife (and marlin spike), opposed to the older
ones which had a weird and quite unique sort of back lock, which unfortunately i have never had the chance to examine dismantled in detail.
The one i carried is one of the larger scale folding models (named "Captain" size as opposed to the "Crew" smaller size as listed by Myerchin itself)
with a partially serrated sheepsfoot blade and micarta handles. The blade is really massive for a folding rigging knife, it is almost 9cm long and 2,5cm wide, with
a built-in shackle-breaker slot (really wide)  which doubles wonderfully as a thumbhole for one-hand opening (keeping the point towards the
ground one can almost flip it open like a tactical knife!) which is a great thing for a rigger as anyone can figure. The older models are a pain in the ass
to open and close, but i hope to discuss it in future reviews.
The first 1/3 of the edge is flat, the rest is serrations and it takes a wonderdul edge, which lasts a decent period of use and abuse.
It is has a very thick back-spine which could be literally batoned if needed, even if it is not reccomended of course. The blade lock on my sample was almost perfect,
the liner went in place with a solid and musical snap and had zero play;
as a liner-lock it could be also closed one-handed, with some practice.I cannot but say good things about the blade; it cut through everything i asked it for; it never failed, it could make a very clean and precise cut through 20mm rope with small effort, just
to say. I used it to cut through plastic, heavy rubber, rope of various diameters (i once made various clean cuts through a 30mm rope).
It would get a bit dull after repeately cutting through thick rubber, but that would be easely fixed with a couple of strokes on the Sharpmaker.
The handles had micarta scales on this variant; the handle is thick, comfortable, well designed; it always gave a sense of confidence while squeezing it
to make a heavy cut! Very ergonomic and wonderful grip, even with wet hands and handle. The knife comes with a great pocket-clip, very sturdy, tight and functional and i
always preferred it as method of carrying instead of the nylon sheath, which is anyway included and well made.
At the bottom end of the handle there was a lanyard ring, which unfortunately broke in two while working in a thight spot.
The marlin spike was great too, rock-solid liner-lock, functional shape. I used it a lot to splice or untie tight knots, but it also served very well for
light prying and torque.
In the end i say it has been a great companion and did a great service, though there is no happy-ending... One day i flick it open and CRACK!, no usual musical snap but
a weird crack. The blade liner-lock broke neat in two!
It was a great delusion and it left me quite grim for a couple of days. But hey, i have used the poor guy to cut, pry, beat, snap, open shackles... I spared it no work, so in
the end i must say it has been worth its duty.  :salute:
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Re: Myerchin BF300P Folding Knife
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:09:29 PM
While still alive and kicking...
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:12:55 PM
BF300P dismantled and the broken liner-lock
Antonio

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:55:25 AM
Thanks for the great review ! I work at a Marina and have been looking at Meyerchin knives. I would like to see one before I buy it. I think I would prefer the smaller of the 2. Didn't the early models have a framelock ?

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:55:21 AM
Great review - thanks for posting - I looked into buying one a few years back (before the change to liner lock) but chose the Fox 233 sailing knife instead (which is also very good).

I have also recently been thinking about getting a Myerchin G2 fixed blade.

:tu:

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:21:53 AM
Thanks for the great review ! I work at a Marina and have been looking at Meyerchin knives. I would like to see one before I buy it. I think I would prefer the smaller of the 2. Didn't the early models have a framelock ?
Thank you mate. If you have the chance it would be great to handle them before buying, indeed, especially to choose the right size as you said. The Captains are hefty knives and could be too much for smaller hands and viceversa. The only frame-lock they offer, to my knowledge, is the Captain generarion 2 Titanium which is in fact a frame-lock for both blade and marlin spike. The older Myerchins have a different kind of locking device i have never seen in any other folder. Since the scales on these older models are locked to the handles with pins i have never taken the disturb to dismantle one. But i guess it is basically a lock-back but instead of the regular release button on the back you have to disengage it by using the lanyard loop, which affects a spring... Gosh it sounds intricate and probably is beyond my english skills

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:22 AM
Thanks for the review Solomon. :cheers:

Sorry to hear it's no longer working though.  Did you ever check to see if it was covered by any guarantee?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:11 AM
Great review - thanks for posting - I looked into buying one a few years back (before the change to liner lock) but chose the Fox 233 sailing knife instead (which is also very good).

The Fox233 is a great rigger's knife too, a couple of colleagues carry those at work!
I own a couple of Myerchin fixed blades, old ones made in Japan, they are absolutely wonderful tools, though a lot more "visibile" to carry, if you get what i mean. As someone once said, folders are socially "acceptable" lol  ::)
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:42:57 AM
Thanks for the review Solomon. :cheers:

Sorry to hear it's no longer working though.  Did you ever check to see if it was covered by any guarantee?
Hi Gareth, thanks to you!
I did check the guarantee service indeed, but unfortunately you have to be the original owner and own the original receipt to be covered. I don't have it though. Anyway i doubt it would be easy to use the guarantee outside the US...  :oops:
Antonio

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:09:36 PM

The Fox233 is a great rigger's knife too, a couple of colleagues carry those at work!
I own a couple of Myerchin fixed blades, old ones made in Japan, they are absolutely wonderful tools, though a lot more "visibile" to carry, if you get what i mean. As someone once said, folders are socially "acceptable" lol  ::)

Is it true that Myerchins are now made in China then?  I thought that was just a rumour  :salute:

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 06:25:55 PM

Is it true that Myerchins are now made in China then?  I thought that was just a rumour  :salute:
I have heard the rumor too. The only certain info i can give you is this: the "new generation" Myerchins still have serial number but they don't have the "Japan" marking  anymore. You can take my word the quality has not lowered. THe reason why Japan is no more there i can only speculate. As seen to what happened with the "USA" on Leathermans pliers, maybe the same happened to the "Japan" on Myerchins. That is in brief: newer stricter laws require that all components are from the country as claimed by markings on it, and thus if only one small component (that could be just a small spacer!) is from abroad you cannot keep the engraving on it. My two cents to what happened to Myerchin! :salute:
Antonio

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:25:44 PM
I'll give their UK office a ring next week and ask - they're usually pretty forthcoming - will post their response.

No arguing over their quality I have (and use) one of their older marlin spikes - indestructible  :tu:

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 09:13:55 AM
I'll give their UK office a ring next week and ask - they're usually pretty forthcoming - will post their response.

No arguing over their quality I have (and use) one of their older marlin spikes - indestructible  :tu:
That would be great! Let us know!  :tu:
Antonio

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 01:24:45 AM
Great review.  Sorry your liner lock broke.  The Myerchins are very well made, but as said, there is no warranty coverage if you're not the original owner.  They now claim to use German "Pro-Marine" stainless steel (440C) but they don't say anywhere that I could find on their website where they are assembled.  Here are mine.  I believe the fixed blade Myerchins would be good general purpose knives, because anything that is built strong enough to be hammered through braided line as thick as your leg ought to be able to withstand basic bush craft tasks. Those with sharp eyes will note that I had sewed a Leatherman pouch to the W100P sheath so I could carry a multi tool with it.  I liked the idea of it but it didn't really work.  I have since removed the Leatherman pouch because I felt it made the rig too thick, and therefore too likely to snag on something. However, I have seen plenty of custom made rigging knife sheaths that do have slots for a multi tool and a flashlight.  I may yet try it again with a different configuration.
Myerchin B100.JPG
* Myerchin B100.JPG (Filesize: 38.93 KB)
P1100455.JPG
* P1100455.JPG (Filesize: 260.67 KB)
P1100466.JPG
* P1100466.JPG (Filesize: 477.57 KB)

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 09:09:45 AM
Great set Alan!  :tu:
Antonio

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 02:09:50 PM

Just chatted to Myerchin Uk (actually it was the UK owner I talked to).  Yes, nowadays they are made in China, however it is under very strict controls and since production has moved there they have yet to have a warranty claim on one of the products.

Please, please don't be put off by them being made in China, they really are an excellent product  :tu:

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 06:53:12 PM

Just chatted to Myerchin Uk (actually it was the UK owner I talked to).  Yes, nowadays they are made in China, however it is under very strict controls and since production has moved there they have yet to have a warranty claim on one of the products.

Please, please don't be put off by them being made in China, they really are an excellent product  :tu:
Thanks for the precious info, greenbear!  :tu:
Antonio

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44