Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SWISSCHAMP: My Least used tools

il Offline israelpiper

SWISSCHAMP: My Least used tools
on: August 15, 2019, 03:37:10 PM

Least used, but being a SwissChamp, I wouldn't want to see them
removed. I don't really ever carry this model, but, I do enjoy having
it in my knife box by my recliner. On second thought, a light duty
Marlin spike might not be so bad as a replacement for the scaler.
The magnifying glass has been important, if only once or twice.
That stays!  The hook, well, this is the only model with a hook that I
can actually pull out without grief, because of where the split-ring point
is on my other models. A minor insanity, that. The SwissChamp hook
is a keeper just for that ease of opening.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:51:15 PM by israelpiper »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: SWISSCHAMP: My Least used tools
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 03:54:15 PM
The good ole fish scaler.  Its not a tool that sees a lot of action as such but as an improved tool for me its been ok to have.  I have given serious consideration to making it a serrated blade.  I have also thought to remove that layer.  When its all said its part of the charm of the Swisschamp.  j

Love the mag glass.  My old tired eyes need it more and more.  I especially like if for inspecting the edges of blades I get used.  I also use it when I am sharpening blades. 

The hook.  Not so much use from me.   
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:56:39 PM
The fish scaler and scissors are in my opinion totally useless in a survival knife.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:38:47 PM
The fish tickler and magnifier are the reasons I never bothered with a Swisschamp. I got a Cybertool 41 instead, which is a far better tool in my opinion. I've had good use from the hook, so I wouldn't want to lose that

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 07:47:54 PM
The fish scaler and scissors are in my opinion totally useless in a survival knife.

I've never thought of the Swiss Champ as survival kit.  Maybe a Work Champ, as secondary to a heftier fixed blade. Swiss Champ has, for me, always been a useful light craft and around the house kit. Not a choice for the field. I am not a survivalist, but I do maintain a good 1st Aid kit, and fire-starting necessities, and maybe a Swiss Champ might be useful there.

A doctor once told me that with two Swiss Army knives he could perform all kinds of simpler emergency surgery. The blade, and the mini pliers especially.

so Offline maxt

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 09:48:48 PM
I use fish scaler all the time. Put the Champ into plastic bag, cut a hole with fish scaler and ... I damn scale the fish.
I have no other tool at home and I don't do fishing. But what are going to do if your order fresh fish?

I am happy with the tool, it does what it is supposed to do and I am glad they include it.

I have never ever used the saw and the chisel though.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:52:31 PM
For me, the least used tools are the technician's screwdriver on the back (never used it - I didn't know for years even what it was!), the chisel (used the one on a Handyman once that I remember and perfect for the job, it was), the hook, and the awl. I've used the awls on other knives plenty, though.

I use the fish scaler surprising often, mostly as a probe. At work, I use it to bore holes in the rootballs of very rootbound potted trees so I can get irrigation spitters in them. The ruler has been handy on occasion.

The magnifier is one reason I have my SC. Ideal for reading tiny print, inspecting seeds, finding splinters, looking at anything too small to see clearly with my naked eye. Never thought to use it for inspecting blade edges. Good one, Aloha!  :cheers:

Awl in awl I'd like to lose no tools from the SC, and have none added. Well, the 93mm inline awl would be great if there was a way of keeping the small blade as well.

I use fish scaler all the time. Put the Champ into plastic bag, cut a hole with fish scaler and ... I damn scale the fish.
I have no other tool at home and I don't do fishing. But what are going to do if your order fresh fish?

I am happy with the tool, it does what it is supposed to do and I am glad they include it.

I have never ever used the saw and the chisel though.

Most fishers I've known scale with the back of a knife blade. I think this is the first time I've read of anyone using the fish scaler for its primary purpose and being happy with its performance.  :tu:

Having the knife in a bag with a small hole cut in it to push the scaler through, thus keeping the body of the knife clean, is genius.  :hatsoff:
Rambler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 02:21:15 PM
Like Sawl, that tech screwdriver is my least, no never, used tool.  I think it might work as a tool to adjust the old radio and TV tuning knobs on the back of the sets, and maybe on model trains, but I can't find a use for it.  I love the idea of the plastic bag to keep your knife from getting grungy while using the scaler.  My Swisschamp is my fishing knife, namely for the pliers.
Barry

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 02:25:33 AM
Nobody ever used the hook disgorger on the scaler? As a kid, I used it for both. Now when I need to scale, though...a bottlecap. Which means I have to use up a perfectly good beer, but what can you do?  :dunno:

My least used would be the technician driver, the hook (sorry hook! I believe in you, and I'm sure you'll work great when your moment comes, but I just haven't needed you yet) and...the small blade. The small blade is something that I guess I like to have, but I rarely if ever use it.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 05:14:51 AM
Mine;

Fine Screwdriver. I did try it on a terminal block. The danged thing just won't fit in there. The tool mostly being found on fat SAKs doesn't help. The mini screwdriver can be used on the same screw size, and fits practically anywhere.

Fish Scaler. I don't fish that much, and I have a purpose-built scaler in my tackle box. And compared to big 5' Fisherman's Toothpicks, the scaler on an SAK is kinda wimpy.

Now I do use the wood chisel, but rarely. It's properly "flat" and a razor, and for light stuff, it works great. The SwissTool's is a bit more efficient, since it's about twice as wide.

so Offline maxt

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 03:01:05 PM
Having the knife in a bag with a small hole cut in it to push the scaler through, thus keeping the body of the knife clean, is genius.  :hatsoff:

I would wind a bag around too, for a better grip.
Want to buy:
SwissChamp - 500 Mio
Huntsman - Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative
Wenger - FASS 90 Grünig and Elmiger in Green scales

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68