Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain flashlight

Weasel · 57 · 5850

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Keychain flashlight
on: February 14, 2016, 12:43:56 PM
I'm in need of a new light for my keychain,it has to be small and as bright as possible.
Any suggestions?
Weasel

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Keychain flashlight
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:59:19 PM
Black Water Kite:

USB charged.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:22:44 PM
The Fenix E05 has 3x outputs and cranks 85 lumens.  It is 1xAAA and around $20.  I recommend an Eneloop rechargeable. 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 02:25:07 PM
"small" and "as bright as possible" are not really compatible with each other in real-world, practical flashlights.  Perhaps if you can describe how small and what tasks you want to use it for, as well as your budget we can give you some better ideas. 

There's not much point suggesting a $300 custom that is really (really !) bright but you can only run it for 30 seconds before it over-heats and starts to melt (unless that is actually what you want).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:27:33 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:28:44 PM
"small" and "as bright as possible" are not really compatible with each other in real-world, practical flashlights. 

I take it as "as bright as possible for the small size" :D

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:57:04 PM

"small" and "as bright as possible" are not really compatible with each other in real-world, practical flashlights. 

I take it as "as bright as possible for the small size" :D

Yeah that's what I meant NNR
Weasel

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 05:58:44 PM
I just typed more of a response than that but don't know what happened to the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:16:49 PM
There is a sliding scale of size vs. output vs. runtime. You can pick two but not three.  I own "high intensity discharge" lights that are bright enough to ignite tinder.  But they are too big to carry on a keychain.  I own other lights that will run for years (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?132584-HDS-EDC-locator-flash-runtime-test-in-progress-now-concluded!!!-(see-post-204)), and are small enough to EDC, but put out so little light that they are unusable except as a beacon.

So when we say "small as possible and bright as possible", we have to contextualize it.  That's why I recommended something like the Fenix E05.  It is small enough for keychain.  It will run for several hours if that's what you want.  It will also give you one hour of glory if you need it.  You can go bigger or brighter, but then you sacrifice functional utility (what Nutnfancy recently started calling "gear transparency"). 

Everything in life is a compromise, and this is no different.  We just have to pick where we stand on the sliding scale.  Determine what we are willing to give up in order to receive something we are unwilling to sacrifice.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 09:27:03 AM
Cheers buddy I've gone for a fenix e05 thanks

Weasel

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:40:27 AM
Fenix e15, I put it next to my classic for comparison. Runs on cr123 or rechargeable 16340 and can reach 450 lumens at 55 minutes. I absolutely love this light, for less then 30$ it can't be beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

us Offline abcdef

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:34:12 PM
Nitecore Tube Rechargeable LED Keylight - 45 Lumens - USB Rechargeable

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 04:38:35 PM
I recommend the Nitecore Tube as well. Definetly feels better in pocket than Fenix E05

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:44:18 PM
I'm not totally convinced by the Tube.  I like the variable output, light weight and USB charging but it doesn't feel that robust, it's a bit too floody for me and occasionally when I pull it out of my pocket it's been switched on.  I'm not sure if I turn it on when I grab my keys or if the switch is being pressed while it's in my pocket.  I think I prefer my older model E05 - simple and robust.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 04:59:28 PM
I'd highly recommend a Maglite Solitaire LED. Pretty bombproof and reasonably priced.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 05:13:54 PM
Nitecore Tube Rechargeable LED Keylight - 45 Lumens - USB Rechargeable

I own three of these.  But because of the button configuration, mine will turn itself on in my pocket.  This is sub-optimal.  Part of this may be because I carry a lot of stuff in that pocket, and everyone may not have this problem, but I cannot EDC a Nitecore Tube for this reason.  But otherwise, I love the light.  It isn't expensive, has great functionality and the USB feature is great.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 06:00:12 PM
Nitecore Tube Rechargeable LED Keylight - from 1 to 45 Lumens - USB Rechargeable

I own three of these.  But because of the button configuration, mine will turn itself on in my pocket.  This is sub-optimal.  Part of this may be because I carry a lot of stuff in that pocket, and everyone may not have this problem, but I cannot EDC a Nitecore Tube for this reason.  But otherwise, I love the light.  It isn't expensive, has great functionality and the USB feature is great.

+1

My current EDC light. The pocket auto-on happened just a couple of times, when I began carrying it. I take some care when putting it in my pocket and that problem went away. Very powerful, very light (pun intended), very economical (no batteries needed). The variable lumen output is a great function. Lets you use exactly the amount of light you need.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 06:03:27 PM
And the clear one lets you see all of its internals.  Sorta cool.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 06:16:56 PM
I'll see how the e05 when it arrives but I'm sure it will cover my needs

Weasel

cz Offline pettydroid

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 07:29:05 PM
I am currently thinking about buying Lumintop AAA Tool. 110/32/5 lumen, two tailcaps, one clicky, the second one magnetic  and reversible pocket clip.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 09:19:44 PM
Nitecore Tube!

Cheap, small, weather resistant, rechargeable and light!
1 lumen for 48 hours. Or 45 lumens for 1 hour.

I use mine all the time and it is great on my keychain. The 45 lumen output has great spread so it lights up entire rooms with ease. The runtime is what really sold me on it. If you stick the 1 lumen mode for most of the usual "need to find the keyhole/see where I'm going in this dark room/see what's inside the glovebox" needs then it'll last pretty much forever.

EDIT: Others have noted above that the button can be pressed accidentally. This has never happened to me, and I keep my keychain in my pocket at all times. I also shove it into my backpack along with other things when Im out for a walk and it has never turned on by accident. The button is actually quite stiff and requires a good press to activate.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:21:47 PM by WiseDuck »

us Offline 0880

Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 11:40:13 AM
I have been wearing the MecArmy IllumineX-1 around my neck on a ball chain for a few weeks now.  Great little light and surprisingly bright!  I'm really happy with it so far.

It's 1 5/8" long and about 1/2" in diameter, so perfect for key chain carry also. 

It has 2 levels: 130 lumens for 30 min / 8 lumens for 6 hrs.  It uses a twist to low, twist more for high interface.

It is USB rechargeable with the charger built-in, but the micro USB is hidden under the head so not exposed when not needed.  It charges in 1 hr.

It comes in several flavors, titanium, brass, copper and aluminum.  Price ranges from $25 - $63.

us Offline 0880

Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:07 AM
Here's a pic, it's the furthest on the right with the ball chain.  Sorry for the recycled pic, used it on another forum.  But it gives you a good idea of it's size.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 12:06:30 PM
I'm not totally convinced by the Tube.  I like the variable output, light weight and USB charging but it doesn't feel that robust, it's a bit too floody for me and occasionally when I pull it out of my pocket it's been switched on.  I'm not sure if I turn it on when I grab my keys or if the switch is being pressed while it's in my pocket.  I think I prefer my older model E05 - simple and robust.
Which is why I've continued to EDC my original E05 for years.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 12:07:15 PM
I'd highly recommend a Maglite Solitaire LED. Pretty bombproof and reasonably priced.
I didn't know these existed.  Are they regulated?

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 03:39:29 PM

Which is why I've continued to EDC my original E05 for years.

Is the original E05 different to the newer version?

Weasel

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 03:47:30 PM
The original one was single mode, 30 LM only.

Try the tank007e09 too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 03:52:13 PM
Yep, just on/off.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 04:13:51 PM
Here's a pic, it's the furthest on the right with the ball chain.  Sorry for the recycled pic, used it on another forum.  But it gives you a good idea of it's size.

What is this another forum you talk about?!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 04:53:38 PM
Fenix e15, I put it next to my classic for comparison. Runs on cr123 or rechargeable 16340 and can reach 450 lumens at 55 minutes. I absolutely love this light, for less then 30$ it can't be beat. (Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I've added that to my wish list thanks to you.  ::)

I really don't need one, but I don't have a single CR123 light like this and those numbers look very good. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 08:34:26 PM

The original one was single mode, 30 LM only.

Try the tank007e09 too.
Ok cheers buddy I didn't know that.
My E05 arrived today but I haven't had time to try it out yet.

Weasel

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69