Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I have a lot of Gerbers. So let's review one every day!

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
I have a lot of Gerbers. So let's review one every day!
on: February 15, 2016, 08:51:13 PM
Like the title says, I have a lot of Gerbers. And a few other sharp things in there from other knife and multitool makers. I'm a little bored, so I figured I'd make this sub-forum a wee bit more active than it currently is. So I'm going to write a mini-review of every Gerber I have. One per day.

I'll try to keep them consistent and cover things such as specs, materials, QC issues (if any) etc.

If you have any questions about these things, just ask. And why not post a short review of the Gerbers you use in everyday life?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/999968/Collection.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/999968/Collection2.png

So let's start with the Gerber Propel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS81rHqKS3w

Gerber Propel is an assisted knife, with a half-serrated tanto blade made of 420HC stainless steel.  The back of it has a glass breaker and lanyard hole. The scales are made of G10 and have great traction. In fact, the surface is so rough you'll most likely mess up any jeans pocket you put this in, if you use the pocket clip. I don't use the pocket clip, so it's not an issue. It's a very beefy, solid knife, with a fairly stout blade, THICK pivot and beefy hardware all over.

So what about the infamous Gerber QC eh? Did it have any issues upon arrival?
Yes. The tension bar that makes it assisted was not particularly strong in this one, it was noticeably weaker than my Gerber Propel Downrange (Yes, I also own the S30V version of this blade!), so I took it apart and bent the spring to match the one on my other Propel. Now it fires out with authority. It is also quite smooth, the blade falls when you disengage the lock. I emailed Gerber about this and they said that if the spring ever breaks or if I have any issues with it, just send it in and they'll fix it.

What do I use it for?
Pretty much everything. I've used it too break down boxes at home, to cut wind paperboard, to whittle sticks, food prep, open packages and so on while out camping, walking etc. A half-serrated tanto blade is hardly ideal for this sort of use, but it still works surprisingly well.

Would I recommend it?
Yes. Altho it's somewhat pricey for a 420HC blade. The S30V version might be a better deal for those that care a lot about edge retention. I always keep a Fällkniven DC3 in my pack while out and about. Touching up a 420HC blade is easy!

Another video, featuring this knife and another Gerber product, sorry for the awful English!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1OPva0FUts

2016-02-15 20.18.31.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.18.31.jpg (Filesize: 150.19 KB)
2016-02-15 20.18.09.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.18.09.jpg (Filesize: 218.44 KB)
2016-02-15 20.18.16.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.18.16.jpg (Filesize: 212.03 KB)

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Re: I have a lot of Gerbers. So let's review one every day!
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:24:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.  Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 06:20:59 AM
Great idea to spice up this subforum.  Super cute dogs btw  :tu:.  I enjoyed your time out and the video.  That is one heck of a compact hatchet.  I'm guessing if the wood was harder ( looked soft? ) you could have battoned the hatchet thru like a wedge.

Esse Quam Videri

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:02 AM
Great idea to spice up this subforum.  Super cute dogs btw  :tu:.  I enjoyed your time out and the video.  That is one heck of a compact hatchet.  I'm guessing if the wood was harder ( looked soft? ) you could have battoned the hatchet thru like a wedge.

Thanks! They're good dogs, 50/50 Shih-Tzu, Lhasa Apso mix. Whenever we stop somewhere, they like to find a high spot and then guard the area.

The wood was sort of soft, we don't really have any real hardwoods around here. It had fairly straight grain and I could've easily batoned and split it faster. I was just being careful because I didn't want to hit the rock that I was hitting the wood against.

I'll try to alternate between blades and multi-tools to keep things fresh. I know this forum is mostly about multitools and all that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:02:12 AM by WiseDuck »

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:37 PM
Next item on my list really needs no introduction; The Gerber MP600 Bluntnose!

The MP600 Bluntnose is just one of many members in the MP600 series of multitools with the one hand flick opening and closing. These things are super tough and pretty much idiot proof. They have a pretty good selection of tools and don't cost much. All made in the USA too.

Mine gets a lot of use at my workplace where it is used to cut cordage, wires, cables, assemble and disassemble things etc. The bit kit is a must-have for any of Gerbers multitools, they extend the capabilities of the multi tool and make it a great all-rounder. Just the other day I used it to assemble some IKEA furniture. I've also replaced one of the bits in the kit to make it usable as a bike repair tool, should the need ever arise. Oh, did you know that all the tools with ground edges and profiles make excellent firesteel scrapers? Check out my short demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQWXUmJZWWk

So what about the quality control?
Mine does suffer from the blade tips hitting the inside of the handle. Not a big deal on the serrated blade, where a somewhat blunt tip does not hurt the overall performance. And honestly, it's not a big deal on the other blade either, while the first 1/8" of the blade is always a little dull, the blade stays very pointy and will pierce plastic film, bubble wrap, plastic packaging etc with ease. Should this be fixed? Absolutely. Does it ruin the tool? Not at all.

The carbide cutters is a bit of a mixed bag. But overall, I'm pretty happy with them. Yes, they struggled with some types of stranded wire. But you can pretty much cut all day long with these and they will never wear out. I can't say I'm a fan of non-replaceable cutters because if you ruin them, you have to buy a new tool to get a clean set of cutters again.

Another demonstration, this time of the cutters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKA6IiDv31o

Would I recommend this tool?
Absolutely. It is priced right. It's built super tough, it's got a fairly good set of tools and it should last a long long time. There's little that can go wrong with this tool. Get the bit kit too and it becomes a very versatile tool that can be immensely useful to have in a car, in your bikes toolkit, at work etc.
2016-02-16 19.11.41.jpg
* 2016-02-16 19.11.41.jpg (Filesize: 158.97 KB)
2016-02-16 19.10.35.jpg
* 2016-02-16 19.10.35.jpg (Filesize: 106.77 KB)

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:04:47 PM
Very nice initiative.
Bookmarked.
:popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 03:56:30 AM
Good work mate, I'm enjoying the videos.   :tu:   :tu:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:15:09 AM
Nice. Like your videos.  :popcorn:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 06:14:38 PM
Those cutters look like tanks and they keep coming back for more!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 06:53:34 PM
Those cutters look like tanks and they keep coming back for more!

They're supposedly great for large volumes of smaller, not particularly touch wires and cables. But will fail if you attempt to cut anything harder, such as nails and whatnot. Carbide cutters are very hard, but also brittle. Since I know the limits of my tool, I expect these to last a long time.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 10:47:46 PM
And back to the folding knives: The Gerber Mini FAST Draw!

Let's start with a quick video overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otrqdD92CP8

This is the mini version of the FAST Draw series of knives. It has a polymer handle, stainless steel liners, a slide lock and an assisted blade. This one uses the old FAST system which is basically a spring hidden inside the back spacer, hooked up to a metal bar that goes through a cutout in the blade tang near the pivot. The system is not quite as good as the newer torsion bar assist that newer Gerbers use, mainly because if the spring fails, the knife will not lock closed or open. The same can be said for some FAST 2.0 Gerbers too, but some still work, like the Propel which can be easily be de-assisted and still function.

Mine has a half-serrated, 7cr17Mov stainless steel blade. I chose the half-serrated version because serrations are good for cutting materials such as cordage, cardboard and so on. I sometimes take this to work for the simpler cutting chores and it works fine for that. It won't hold that edge forever, but it sharpens readily and gets the job done. I like it! It's small, weighs almost nothing and the assisted blade is very FAST!

QC issues?
Actually none whatsoever. Zero side to side and up and down blade play, lock up is solid, the blade shoots out with authority and the hardware appears to be pretty good. I've taken the scales off without stripping the screws, which is not always possible on the Chinese Gerbers in my experience. So it's all good!

Recommended?
Yeah, sure, why not? It's a fun little utility knife. Good for small cutting tasks and whatnot. Not too expensive. I'm not too sure how long the FAST spring will last, time will tell I suppose!

Another random video of this thing use. Just because I needed to cut down this box. I didn't do a very good job, I had to trim it further after I stopped recording, but whatever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhPVxD1L00
2016-02-15 20.22.37.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.22.37.jpg (Filesize: 91.58 KB)
2016-02-15 20.21.54.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.21.54.jpg (Filesize: 189.79 KB)
2016-02-15 20.22.14.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.22.14.jpg (Filesize: 142.58 KB)

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 10:51:29 PM
Oh yeah, all that candy? It's going to someone in the US actually. I joined the Reddit Snacks exchange last week and was matched with a lady from the US who supposedly likes a bit of everything. I hope she will be happy with my little selection of Swedish goodies!

2016-02-17 17.24.41.jpg
* 2016-02-17 17.24.41.jpg (Filesize: 274.34 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 02:33:33 AM
Oh yeah, all that candy? It's going to someone in the US actually. I joined the Reddit Snacks exchange last week and was matched with a lady from the US who supposedly likes a bit of everything. I hope she will be happy with my little selection of Swedish goodies!
Oooo your on reddit too?....
/r/multitools :tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 02:37:35 AM
And back to the folding knives: The Gerber Mini FAST Draw!

Let's start with a quick video overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otrqdD92CP8

This is the mini version of the FAST Draw series of knives. It has a polymer handle, stainless steel liners, a slide lock and an assisted blade. This one uses the old FAST system which is basically a spring hidden inside the back spacer, hooked up to a metal bar that goes through a cutout in the blade tang near the pivot. The system is not quite as good as the newer torsion bar assist that newer Gerbers use, mainly because if the spring fails, the knife will not lock closed or open. The same can be said for some FAST 2.0 Gerbers too, but some still work, like the Propel which can be easily be de-assisted and still function.

Mine has a half-serrated, 7cr17Mov stainless steel blade. I chose the half-serrated version because serrations are good for cutting materials such as cordage, cardboard and so on. I sometimes take this to work for the simpler cutting chores and it works fine for that. It won't hold that edge forever, but it sharpens readily and gets the job done. I like it! It's small, weighs almost nothing and the assisted blade is very FAST!

QC issues?
Actually none whatsoever. Zero side to side and up and down blade play, lock up is solid, the blade shoots out with authority and the hardware appears to be pretty good. I've taken the scales off without stripping the screws, which is not always possible on the Chinese Gerbers in my experience. So it's all good!

Recommended?
Yeah, sure, why not? It's a fun little utility knife. Good for small cutting tasks and whatnot. Not too expensive. I'm not too sure how long the FAST spring will last, time will tell I suppose!

Another random video of this thing use. Just because I needed to cut down this box. I didn't do a very good job, I had to trim it further after I stopped recording, but whatever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhPVxD1L00
My first dedicated folder (and first EDC) was the larger version of this knife. It served me well for many years, and i do plan on eventually replacing it. It was a good knife.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 08:13:16 AM
Oooo your on reddit too?....
/r/multitools :tu:

Yeppers! Same username and everything. I do sometimes check out the various tool and knife subreddits. Sadly, the Victorinox and Multitool subreddits aren't nearly as active as this forum.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:08 PM
Next one on the list, something different: Gerber Freescape Camp kitchen kit!

This is a neat piece of hardware. It's a complete kitchen setup for camp and BBQ use. The kit contains a fairly heavy duty plastic cutting board, with a compartment that slides out from underneath. Inside this compartment you'll find the Freescape Camp kitchen knife and the Freescape Paring knife. The kitchen knife has a Santoku type blade that is optimized for food prep with that large, flat belly. The paring knife is best suited for veggies and fruit that need to be sliced and diced. Both are made of a 7cr17mov stainless steel and feature rubber overmold handles that are very very grippy. They're also supposed to be dishwasher safe, but I do not have a dishwasher so I can not confirm that. The compartment also has a spot for extra accessories, such as towels and wet wipes. The lower right corner has a built-in ceramic pull-through sharpener, useful for honing the blades out in the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GKuewmA0eI

I've brought the kit with me out to several BBQs and it's been used while camping with my friends a couple of times. Overall I'm very pleased with it. You can see it in these two videos.

This video is actually a sort of first impression video of a hammock accessory. But I'll post it anyways because the Freescape Camp kitchen kit was used for some food prep at our campsite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shl9pw6yTDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwsecZax_bA

QC issues then?
None. The construction is sturdy, the knives are plenty strong for their intended use (and full tang, the big one can be used for other more demanding tasks), everything fits together nicely and the molded parts all look perfect. Nicely done!

Recommended?
For camp and BBQ use, absolutely. A bit too heavy for hiking if you ask me. The price is actually pretty dang great all things considered. For the price you get a lot of stuff.

Note!
Sheaths can not be purchased separately for these knives, so if you want to use them outside of this kit as standalone knives, you'll have to make your own. Believe me, I emailed Gerber about this and that's what they said. The knives are also available for purchase separately and come with their own sheaths. They also have a folding version of the Camp kitchen knife.
2016-02-18 20.25.10.jpg
* 2016-02-18 20.25.10.jpg (Filesize: 192.44 KB)
2016-02-18 20.23.18.jpg
* 2016-02-18 20.23.18.jpg (Filesize: 101.97 KB)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:43:41 PM by WiseDuck »

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 12:57:43 PM
No reviews until Monday. Going to a party today, tomorrow I'm heading out to watch Deadpool with a friend. I've heard lots of good things about this one, I'm looking forward to it!

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 09:17:57 PM
I'll try to write about a multitool here soon, but since I had the material ready for this one already..
So, this time: The Gerber Instant!

Let's start with the overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4ae51hAhk

This is supposedly one of Gerbers big sellers. It's definitely got the looks. It features G10 scales, stainless steel liners, a 7cr17mov stainless steel blade that is supported by ball bearings and is locked open with a plunge lock. And it is assisted.

I think this thing looks great. It's priced right too. I haven't really used it too much though, mostly because I have so many knives that each individual knife gets little use. Except for the Propel which I've used a lot. Still, I like this one. The serrations don't get in the way, it's got a very nice and pointy blade and a good belly for carving and whatnot. The assisted feature has some serious kick to it, altho it was a little stiff at first. I actually took my knife apart to bend the torsion bar slightly, that made it easier to open but it still kicks out with a fair amount of force. Another feature that is fairly unusual at this price, is that the pivot has two ball bearings. This makes the deployment of the knife super smooth and when you disengage the lock the blade falls right away, just watch the overview to see what I'm talking about!

QC issues?
Other than being a little stiff out of the box; none really. Blade centering was pretty much perfect, no imperfections in the scales, blade etc.

Recommended?
If you really like Gerber, then go for it. But if you ask elsewhere, people will probably tell you to pick up a RAT 1 or RAT 2. Or perhaps a Spyderco Tenacious. All knives that have slightly better QC and better blade steel. But they're not assisted, if you value that sort of thing.

Up next... Gerber Dime Travel!
2016-02-15 20.20.37.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.20.37.jpg (Filesize: 142.98 KB)
2016-02-15 20.20.04.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.20.04.jpg (Filesize: 194.56 KB)
2016-02-15 20.20.10.jpg
* 2016-02-15 20.20.10.jpg (Filesize: 189.84 KB)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:21:55 PM by WiseDuck »

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 09:27:37 PM
Sorry for being late, sometimes I'm just busy and sometimes I just don't feel like writing anything.
Anyhow, this is the Gerber Dime Travel!

And if I'm totally honest, I haven't used it yet. So this will be a quick overview and my first impressions of it. I bought this in preparation of a future trip, I'm going to London again later this year with my father and two of my brothers. Last time we went, I didn't have any kind of multitool with me because I couldn't get any of them through the airport security. I did not even have a bottle opener on me while in London, which is very unusual. And yep, the one time I needed it, I didn't have it and it took us way longer than expect just to get a couple of ciders open in one of their parks. It probably took us close to 10 mins just to pop the cap off the darn things, simply because we couldn't find a sharp edge anywhere!

And I don't want to ruin my teeth.

So, I'll be taking the Dime Travel with me to London later. Here is a video overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRLnW2dkXE

First, it feels smoother than previous Dimes I've owned. The tools aren't nailbreakers on this one, they open with a nice snap and close with a nice snap too. The plier jaws meet up nicely, there is no side to side play in them. Being a Dime, it does suffer from the usual stuff like scales rubbing when you open it, which causes them to wear at the corners real fast. The tool doesn't close all the way, more like 95% of the way, so there is a small gap between the two halves when you close it. No big deal really.

Now, because I've had two Dimes break on me, I honestly don't trust this thing to hold up for a long time. One Dime came with faulty plier backsprings and folded on me with little pressure, the other one also had faulty plier backsprings that disintegrated somehow. (my topic about that should be either on the first or second page of the Gerber forum) For a weekend in London it'll be just fine, I expect to use it to open a couple of bottles of soda. That's it. Once back home, it'll go back into the drawer because why EDC something without blade, when it's perfectly lega to keep a small SAK or Dime on your keychain anyways?
2016-02-25 21.17.07.jpg
* 2016-02-25 21.17.07.jpg (Filesize: 166.53 KB)
2016-02-25 21.16.32.jpg
* 2016-02-25 21.16.32.jpg (Filesize: 122.71 KB)
2016-02-25 21.16.38.jpg
* 2016-02-25 21.16.38.jpg (Filesize: 105.54 KB)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:29:41 PM by WiseDuck »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 07:54:16 AM
:popcorn:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 08:25:28 AM
Interesting; some items on my radar so I'll keep an eye on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 09:41:31 AM
Interesting; some items on my radar so I'll keep an eye on this.

Anything in particular you'd like more info on? I'll most likely write another post this evening. But for now I've got a day hike to head out on. I'm taking my Prodigy with me and my late uncles near 30 year old SAK Camper with me.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 11:29:43 AM
Mid to heavy duty multitools and higher end knives.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 12:27:41 PM
Very cool thread!  :tu:

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 01:24:25 PM
Thanks for the reviews!  :cheers:
The Propel looks really neat!  :gimme:
Antonio

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 04:35:36 PM
Mid to heavy duty multitools and higher end knives.

Unfortunately, the MP600 and Dime Travel are those I have from Gerber. I might get myself an MP400 very soon. I think most people in here will tell you that the MP600 series is very solid and worth a look. As for higher end knives, I don't think anything Gerber makes today is considered "high-end" by a lot of people. Perhaps their 39 Series Micarta with the S30V blade and their other S30V offerings. Most of their fixed blades use 420HC.

Have a random glamour shot of the Prodigy after my 17km walk/day hike. I used my Prodigy to process firewood, carve sticks for cooking hotdogs over my campfire and to open food packaging.
IMG_0210.jpg
* IMG_0210.jpg (Filesize: 313.9 KB)
IMG_0209.jpg
* IMG_0209.jpg (Filesize: 368.14 KB)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:37:40 PM by WiseDuck »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 05:12:14 PM
Nice pics!
What do you think og the Prodigy?

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 05:43:34 PM
Nice pics!

I like it a lot! It's tough, very comfortable to use and the sheath is great too. And it's pretty cheap for what you get too. Just a great knife for all kinds of uses.

Now, with that said, the Strongarm is probably the better choice of the two at this point. It's got pretty much the same blade, with a 100% fine edge option, and a better sheath. Both seem to cost about the same.

If you want to see the Prodigy in action, you should check out Magnus on Youtube. He is a fellow Sweden who does a lot of bushcrafty outdoor stuff and he is a big fan of Gerber. His main blade is a Prodigy and then a clip point Gerber Gator. He does pretty much everything with these two blades. Feather sticks, batoning, cook pot tripods, striking firesteels, food prep and so on.

Old Prodigy with 12C27 Sandvik steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YQgjZaOgQ

Current Prodigy with 420HC steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=655hQAd87U4

Gerber Gator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_MthbBK8U

no Offline Grathr

Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 06:41:08 PM

Nice pics!

I like it a lot! It's tough, very comfortable to use and the sheath is great too. And it's pretty cheap for what you get too. Just a great knife for all kinds of uses.

Now, with that said, the Strongarm is probably the better choice of the two at this point. It's got pretty much the same blade, with a 100% fine edge option, and a better sheath. Both seem to cost about the same.

If you want to see the Prodigy in action, you should check out Magnus on Youtube. He is a fellow Sweden who does a lot of bushcrafty outdoor stuff and he is a big fan of Gerber. His main blade is a Prodigy and then a clip point Gerber Gator. He does pretty much everything with these two blades. Feather sticks, batoning, cook pot tripods, striking firesteels, food prep and so on.

Old Prodigy with 12C27 Sandvik steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YQgjZaOgQ

Current Prodigy with 420HC steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=655hQAd87U4

Gerber Gator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-_MthbBK8U

Ill check out those videos. :tu:
I already have the Prodigy with sandvik steel. It has not seen much use though, wich is why Im on the fence about the strongarm.
I think Ill have to take it for another outing. :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 05:01:03 PM

I took it out on a walk and made a fire. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $384.86
PayPal Fees: $20.11
Net Balance: $364.75
Above Goal: $64.75
Site Currency: USD
122%