Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Breakfast in Gatineau

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Breakfast in Gatineau
on: July 16, 2016, 03:29:24 PM
Yesterday Megan had the day off and we wanted to use it to get outdoors, so we packed up some bacon, eggs and this little gem:

Yes, I've been holding out on you.  Not on purpose, I just kept forgetting to tell you all about it!  Inside this handy carrying case is this- a Coleman Easi-Lite naptha stove.

My father actually gave it to me last September when I visited him, but I kept forgetting about it and as such, haven't used it until now.  When we decided to cook breakfast in Gatineau Park, a huge provincial park just on the other side of the river in Quebec (I am so close to the Ontario/Quebec border I can almost see Quebec out my window) I jumped at the chance to finally give this little Coleman a shot.  I had, after all, never even lit it, so I had no idea what to expect.

The first thing you notice is the instructions.

Lots of instructions.

After an hour or so of reading, I was ready to plow ahead and try to ignite the stove.  I'd filled it previously, but I had the fuel bottle I got for the WhisperLite Internationale just in case.

I gave it about five pumps then took this photo, then gave it about thirty pumps, wondering if this was what the folks at Coleman really consider "easy."  Still, I could really use the exercise, so I finished the pumps then adjusted the squiggly little brass regulator valve, lit a match, twisted the throttle and it actually ignited nicely. 

There was a big poof of flame at first, but then it settled down into a little blue flame nicely.

Pulling out my trusty Primus Litech pan it was time to stop screwing around and start making breakfast- we were both getting pretty hungry!   :ahhh

As you can see, the pan handle attachment has seen better days, after several years of use (and possibly abuse) it still works well enough, and locks into place, so I am not too worried about safety.  For those wondering why I don't use one of the many plier tools I have to straighten it out, well, this is it straightened out.  It was very much flattened previously....   :ahhh

This set has an awful lot of miles on it, but other than a few wear spots and scratches, it has held up quite well I think, especially since it has cooked on propane, naptha, alcohol and electric stoves.

Getting back to breakfast, bacon was first, and I could only fit three strips of bacon in the pan at a time, and we all know, one doesn't get a body like mine by only eating three strips of bacon....  ::)  Sharp eyed readers will also note that I am still using the GSI Folding Tongs that I got last winter after I fell and realized since we were mid-move I had no utensils!   :ahhh  They have also been used extensively, and still look almost brand new.  I am certain I will get many years out of these.

After cooking up enough bacon for the average army (or one fat guy) it was time to move onto the eggs.  The only way to really have eggs in the woods is scrambled, so that's the way they were made.  I didn't actually have a spatula with me, so I continued to use the GSI folding tongs, and they did a great job of continuously mixing the eggs so they wouldn't burn.  This was important as this little stove burns pretty hot, even on the lowest setting.  I know it was the lowest setting, because the slightest breeze blew it out, and I actually had to relight it several times in the process.

I also kept lifting the pan off the stove to let it cool a bit because the stove was a bit too hot, but in the end it was all good, and I'm quite happy with the stove.  Not having enough plates to go around I piled the bacon on the MSR stainless plate and split the eggs into each of the MSR stainless bowls, which actually pack very nicely in with the Primus pot and pan set.  Megan enjoyed her breakfast with a Light My Fire spork, and I used the CRKT Eat'n Tool XL.

Megan was nice enough to take a pretty picture of her breakfast, while I was a bit hastier....

nom nom nom

I'm sure this will be added to the list of unflattering Grant eating photos, along with this one....

These are probably not the photos you will see in the CRKT catalogue illustrating proper use of the Eat'n Tools....

After breakfast we explored a bit more of Gatineau Park, which is huge.  We stopped at Huron Lookout and enjoyed the view, but literally minutes later the rain, thunder and lightning started, so we were glad we'd gotten breakfast out of the way when we did!

Def
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:30:35 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Breakfast in Gatineau
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 04:06:04 PM
So, Megan was your invisible friend?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 04:54:34 PM
Theres something about cooking outdoors that makes food just taste better.  Looks like a wonderful place to explore. 

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 04:55:30 PM
Good photo's and good food, I've been looking at the dual burner coleman for a while, I think I'm going to pick one up this week  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:25:40 PM
So, Megan was your invisible friend?

She was there too!

Def
FB_IMG_1468682695576.jpg
* FB_IMG_1468682695576.jpg (Filesize: 62.2 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 05:31:38 PM
Good photo's and good food, I've been looking at the dual burner coleman for a while, I think I'm going to pick one up this week  :tu:

I have a nice dual burner Coleman propane stove that I love as well, and a few times yesterday I sort of wished I had it, but the Easi-Lite did a great job. 

My problem with some of these camp stoves is the height.  The Bio Lite and Svea Optima stove have the same issue.  They all seem like they are too high to really be all that stable when cooking.  In fact, I have nearly knocked a pot or pan off each of them at one point or another.

In many ways I prefer the low and flat nature of the propane Coleman or the Mini Trangia for many  cooking adventures.

Def

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 05:51:31 PM
Yeah they can be a wobbly, I had an Msr pocket rocket clone and the damn thing fell over all the time, went in the bin
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 05:54:39 PM
In my camping days I used tonuse a double burner, it was a decent brand.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 07:11:06 PM
Yeah they can be a wobbly, I had an Msr pocket rocket clone and the damn thing fell over all the time, went in the bin

I don't mind them and I still use them.  They make up for that issue in other ways, like being remarkably convenient.  Since I'd never used the Easi-Lite before I brought along my Svea Optima as well, and both fit nicely in the main compartment of my Maxpedition Sitka, with the fuel bottle in the water bottle pocket on the side.

Also, I worry a lot less about them with the fuel canister underneath than I did about the Whisperlite Internationale with the fuel bottle right next to the flame.

And, the big propane Coleman is a bit bulky, plus the propane bottle that goes with it....

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, you just have to choose which one will do whatever you need it to do the best given the conditions you will be under.

Def

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 07:20:07 PM
I'm after the dual fuel dual burner Coleman, gas is sketchy when it get too cold and I have an Swedish Army cookset, runs on meths (or de-natured alchohol) oh and some new funky eco stuff as well.

Too old to back pack now, car camping or nothing. To be fair my car could probably get further than a lot of backpackers  :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 09:22:54 PM
You too huh? :D

Def

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 12:00:57 AM
Nice! :tu:

Gatineau Park is one of my favourite places to hike and spend the day.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 01:42:35 AM
Nice! :tu:

Gatineau Park is one of my favourite places to hike and spend the day.

Now you tell me.  We could have met up somewhere. 

We cooked breakfast at the Penguin Picnic area.

Def

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 02:50:06 AM
What a wonderful way to start the day.

I had Rice Krispies.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 01:43:19 AM
Breakfast was excellent as always. But this stove was hotter than anything.

We had a TON of flames at first!
Here's an unedited video of Grant trying to light the stove.

https://youtu.be/GddXZfiaeBU
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 02:22:09 AM
You can see the aluminum cannister that houses the Svea Optima off to the side just in case I didn't have any luck getting the Easi-Lite lit or there were some other problems.  Two is one and one is none after all, right?  :D

Def

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 05:46:36 AM
Looks like it nearly singed all the scruff off your face on light up!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 01:00:20 PM
It's ok, I really hate shaving so that would have been beneficial!

Def

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 03:16:18 AM
Just seeing this thread. What could be bad about bacon and eggs in a beautiful park?  Glad the stove worked for you.  Please, Grant, whenever you have the chance, post more pictures of you with Megan.  Those pictures give hope to us fat and ugly guys all over the world.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 05:35:48 AM

I don't mind them and I still use them.  They make up for that issue in other ways, like being remarkably convenient.  Since I'd never used the Easi-Lite before I brought along my Svea Optima as well, and both fit nicely in the main compartment of my Maxpedition Sitka, with the fuel bottle in the water bottle pocket on the side.

Also, I worry a lot less about them with the fuel canister underneath than I did about the Whisperlite Internationale with the fuel bottle right next to the flame.

And, the big propane Coleman is a bit bulky, plus the propane bottle that goes with it....

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, you just have to choose which one will do whatever you need it to do the best given the conditions you will be under.

Def

On the topic of top heavy stoves, I saw Jetboil had a small foldout tripod base for the fuel canisters. I couldn't find one for sale separately but eventually came across this one which I use with my Optimus Crux, and it works very well for increasing stability of the stove

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 11:25:39 PM
Just seeing this thread. What could be bad about bacon and eggs in a beautiful park?  Glad the stove worked for you.  Please, Grant, whenever you have the chance, post more pictures of you with Megan.  Those pictures give hope to us fat and ugly guys all over the world.

Thank you for the much needed ego boost  :salute:
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 12:24:08 AM

Here's my secret....

Been working well so far....

Def

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 05:22:34 AM

Here's my secret....

(Image removed from quote.)

Been working well so far....

Def

Just remember to up the dose if resistance build up starts to show  :rofl:

ca Offline JP

Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 05:47:09 AM
He is a lucky sod.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 08:09:21 AM
He is a lucky sod.

I'll say!  I haven't had bacon in months.  Or were you referring to Megan? :think:

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 11:47:31 PM
He is a lucky sod.

I'll say!  I haven't had bacon in months.  Or were you referring to Megan? :think:

I'd take the bacon!
-Megan
Send me a message.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 11:57:15 PM
I'm 40% bacon....

Def

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 02:40:45 AM
Is that your BMI? Bacon Mass Index?

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:55 PM
Our bacon only diet has not served us well.
-Megan
Send me a message.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 07:50:18 PM
Our bacon only diet has not served us well.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24