Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dawdling with Demel

Demel · 345 · 18217

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Dawdling with Demel
Reply #60 on: April 17, 2016, 05:25:02 AM
A few random thoughts

The LED Lenser F1 is a small light that packs a big punch. I used it earlier today and it lit up an entire area IN THE DAY!!!! Very surprised at the output in this size.

The SOG DE03 has underwhelming spec, but it's actual output imo is better than the Thrunite T10T I have. Larger diameter head allows it to cover more area, three good modes plus a strobe. Also, I am continually impressed by the fit and finish on SOG products. The Dark Energy is a good looking light. I understand some people have gotten quite a few lemons, but I can honestly say they make a good quality  product.

I'm curious to know why Victorinox hasn't gotten into edc lights? Curious
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 18, 2016, 05:38:07 AM
My carry for tomorrow
Not as good as the original picture I took, but this one is all SOG when it comes to work, I keep going back to this setup. Especially if I'm unsure of what the day will hold.

P.S. I should thank Nate for this BTW. Seeing his pics has rubbed off on me. :tu:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:39:23 AM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:01 PM
I like the looks of the SOGs, but I don't like how far the handles need to splay open just to get the plier jaws open a little.  If you've got large hands, it's probably not as big an issue. 

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: April 18, 2016, 04:42:37 PM
The splay is annoying at times. The compound leverage makes up for it. I still haven't tried a ppp. Maybe I'll add that to my ever growing list

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #64 on: April 18, 2016, 05:08:17 PM
I do have a PPP, and it's a neat little tool.  I never carry it though.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 06:47:36 PM
To keep this thread alive, yesterday's carry

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #66 on: April 23, 2016, 07:57:38 PM
The splay is annoying at times. The compound leverage makes up for it. I still haven't tried a ppp. Maybe I'll add that to my ever growing list

I'd say it's really worth a try. Lots of things to discover in such a little package.

As a minimalist medium size tool it has no rival, IMO.

The Compound Leverage and assymetrical head shape put it way above similar sized tools even though its implements are really poor and barely usable.

It feels very strong while being really slim and lightweight, and opens sooooooooo smooth.

A trully beautiful butterfly!

After getting one, I had to have my first Powerlock, my Blacktip, and now an original powerplier.

It was the SOG that started it all for me!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: April 23, 2016, 11:44:16 PM
To keep this thread alive, yesterday's carry (Image removed from quote.)

I like that pic D.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: April 23, 2016, 11:56:17 PM
Thanks, it really didn't come out like I wanted. Inspired by all the great photos here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:47:43 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: April 24, 2016, 12:36:20 AM
Tonight I will be going with one of my favorite carries. very light and covers the basics. No need to carry a saw, file, can opener, and light saber at every moment.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: April 26, 2016, 10:09:33 PM
I posted this is the wrong thread :facepalm:

I really enjoy carrying the Pulse. Compared to the PST2, I still prefer the Pulse. PE blade and locking tools are worth the very slight increase in weight. I love how the tool "smiles" at you, one of two tools if I'm not mistaken that has it. I really enjoy these older Leathermans. Their history and dynamic over the years brings more character to the product.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: April 26, 2016, 10:15:40 PM
I agree, there is just something about the old Leatherman tools and sheaths that the newer ones lack.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: April 26, 2016, 10:41:32 PM
It's been quite a chase to get them. Not sure if I'll keep them long-term or not, but it has opened my eyes to why they are so popular.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: April 28, 2016, 06:29:57 PM
Sometimes its just about knowing where the new ones "came" from that we must acquire the older ones.  Whats fun is when the older ones become favorites over the new ones. 

I love carrying my OG Wave.  It's just a terrific tool in so many ways.  I also love my JPST for no other reason that the simplicity and historical value. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 12:21:01 AM
I know what you mean. I'm letting go of a few. The one I keep going back to is the Pulse and PST. The Pulse is a good stand alone, only thing is it's missing an awl. The PST and Micra make a tough carry to beat on weekends. They have really pushed my others down a notch. I like the OG Wave's profile, but the new Wave is a better tool imo.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: April 29, 2016, 01:22:56 AM
You need a Supertool 200  :pok:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: April 29, 2016, 12:54:22 PM
You need a Supertool 200  :pok:
I have a 300, close enough right? I've thought about getting the older super tools, but I don't need the big boys quite as frequently. So I've passed on it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:06:24 PM by Demel »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: April 29, 2016, 02:21:46 PM
I just got a 300 myself and it's a great tool. The 200 is as well and has the cool smile at you roller locks  :tu:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #78 on: April 29, 2016, 02:53:42 PM
Well, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the PowerLock's other implements are barely usable. That's quite an exaggeration.

- The knife blade has a chisel grind, but still cuts well. Finer job on the sharpening than Leatherman and Gerber, too; on par with Victorinox.

- The 1/4" socket driver is useful and not found elsewhere

- I tried the pull cutter a few times on mine; useless. Need to swap it for scissors, when I get around to it.

- The back lock doesn't engage reliably for me.

- I haven't used the Phillips yet, but it looks too small for #2. Did they try and make a combination #1/#2? Those always strip both types of heads. I've read reports of them snapping off too, but I can't confirm.

- If you have to open the pliers far enough that handle splay becomes a problem, then you're using the pliers wrong. Needlenose tasks don't require a big opening. Neither do wire cutting tasks. The gripper can be applied from the side, so they don't need to be opened all the way. What are you guys doing that splay is a problem?

- The wire cutter is the best in all of MT-dom. Ditto for the sharp needlenose tip. The compound leverage makes the gripper 3X more useful for gripping nuts, compared to a standard MT gripper. It hardly ever slips and rounds off the nut.

- It can be flipped open one-handed; almost as quick to deploy the pliers as the Gerbers.

The way I see it, if you're primarily carrying it for pliers (as you seem to be pretty often Demel, since you're backed up with a tactical folder or SAK so often) why not have the best pliers available?  8)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: April 29, 2016, 02:59:38 PM
Well, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the PowerLock's other implements are barely usable. That's quite an exaggeration.

- The knife blade has a chisel grind, but still cuts well. Finer job on the sharpening than Leatherman and Gerber, too; on par with Victorinox.

- The 1/4" socket driver is useful and not found elsewhere

- I tried the pull cutter a few times on mine; useless. Need to swap it for scissors, when I get around to it.

- The back lock doesn't engage reliably for me.

- I haven't used the Phillips yet, but it looks too small for #2. Did they try and make a combination #1/#2? Those always strip both types of heads. I've read reports of them snapping off too, but I can't confirm.

- If you have to open the pliers far enough that handle splay becomes a problem, then you're using the pliers wrong. Needlenose tasks don't require a big opening. Neither do wire cutting tasks. The gripper can be applied from the side, so they don't need to be opened all the way. What are you guys doing that splay is a problem?

- The wire cutter is the best in all of MT-dom. Ditto for the sharp needlenose tip. The compound leverage makes the gripper 3X more useful for gripping nuts, compared to a standard MT gripper. It hardly ever slips and rounds off the nut.

- It can be flipped open one-handed; almost as quick to deploy the pliers as the Gerbers.

The way I see it, if you're primarily carrying it for pliers (as you seem to be pretty often Demel, since you're backed up with a tactical folder or SAK so often) why not have the best pliers available?  8)
I'm not sure when I said that :think: have I ever talked down about the PL :shrug: not sure what you are referring to Smaug but it is one of my favorites and stays in rotation.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #80 on: April 29, 2016, 03:12:20 PM
My carry for tomorrow(Image removed from quote.)
Not as good as the original picture I took, but this one is all SOG when it comes to work, I keep going back to this setup. Especially if I'm unsure of what the day will hold.

P.S. I should thank Nate for this BTW. Seeing his pics has rubbed off on me. :tu:
Not sure how I have missed some of these post but that will no longer happen, got it subbed now. Now that carry looks very familiar. Just can't place it. I know I have seen it before...lol!
Great pic and set up. How are you like the DE03 so far?

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #81 on: April 29, 2016, 04:00:50 PM
I'm not sure when I said that :think: have I ever talked down about the PL :shrug: not sure what you are referring to Smaug but it is one of my favorites and stays in rotation.

It wasn't you. It was a couple pages back, and I was too lazy to go back and quote it properly.  ::)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: April 29, 2016, 04:10:29 PM
The DE is a good light. Comfortable, wide beam, and inexpensive. Plus the finish is superb. The designers at SOG got style and I took a better picture. Just for you Nate

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: April 29, 2016, 04:12:22 PM
It wasn't you. It was a couple pages back, and I was too lazy to go back and quote it properly.  ::)
OK. My only negative with the internal tools are the locks at time disengage by themselves. Not always but sometimes. I may ask SOG to swap mine for piano locks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:49:26 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: April 29, 2016, 05:08:12 PM
The DE is a good light. Comfortable, wide beam, and inexpensive. Plus the finish is superb. The designers at SOG got style and I took a better picture. Just for you Nate (Image removed from quote.)
Nice looking pic and thanks.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: April 29, 2016, 05:19:05 PM
Good idea about the piano locks. The only problem I do run run across some times is the handle splay. Not often. But when dealing with bigger nuts and bolts or latching down on bigger objects the splay gets to be to much. Not often but sometimes.
Before I forget, great thread man and it is cool to see a fellow drummer.

That's us mobile

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:49:51 PM by Poncho65 »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: April 29, 2016, 07:47:25 PM
Just caught up on this thread :cheers: It is a good read Demel :tu: I love the Pulse myself and in light of some of these posts may carry it tomorrow :D I wished that the Rebar had the Pulse toolset or at least similar to it plus the awl (cause I am sure there is enough room in there for it  ;) ) I also wish they would include there diamond file on all their MTs that have files as well but I digress ::) :D

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: April 29, 2016, 10:36:24 PM
Thanks Poncho. The  Pulse has character and a really balanced tool set. My biggest struggle is finding time to carry it without the others feeling neglected 

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: May 03, 2016, 05:40:45 AM
Carried a Bear and Sons Super Bear Jaws Multi tool today (boy was that a mouth full) the pliers are legit and the tool set is simple. I haven't had much use with the smaller tools yet but something I came across today...although they snap into place well the springs are really soft. Maybe because of the clumping tools, but when you apply pressure to the backside of the tools, any kind of pressure, they fold back down disengaging the lock. It's kind of a bummer. I paid just under $50 for mine so I'm not to upset. Anything more and I probably would have. It has a very appealing look, reminds me of sog. I paired it with the xtract for the pe blade and scissors. Easy carry for the most part. Either way it goes it always nice to carry something different. Go against the grain a little. Picture of the day:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: May 03, 2016, 11:30:14 AM
Nice pic!

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!