Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gareth's HFT shooting blog

Gareth · 101 · 5617

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Gareth's HFT shooting blog
on: December 27, 2015, 06:46:05 PM
Had a fun competition at the club today.  Round 1 was with 10m pistol and some silly targets (small pictures of Santa etc), two points for a perfect shot, one for a more marginal hit.  I managed a pretty poor 13x40, though I should say that this was on the higher end of the score chart. :D  My mate, who shoots at a pretty high competition standard managed a much better 22x40, despite opting to shoot with a Crosman 2240.

Round 2 was up at the HFT course; 20 targets, kneeling or standing depending on personal preference.  I have to say I had a pretty bloody good round at this coming back with 33x40.  That beat a good few PCP shooters and was the top score with a spring rifle.

Combined scores put me in 5th place out of about 20 shooters.  Anyway, the main aim was to have fun and in that regard it was a total success. :salute:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:47:15 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gareth's HFT shooting blog
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 10:37:05 PM
Had a fun competition at the club today.  Round 1 was with 10m pistol and some silly targets (small pictures of Santa etc), two points for a perfect shot, one for a more marginal hit.  I managed a pretty poor 13x40, though I should say that this was on the higher end of the score chart. :D  My mate, who shoots at a pretty high competition standard managed a much better 22x40, despite opting to shoot with a Crosman 2240.

Round 2 was up at the HFT course; 20 targets, kneeling or standing depending on personal preference.  I have to say I had a pretty bloody good round at this coming back with 33x40.  That beat a good few PCP shooters and was the top score with a spring rifle.

Combined scores put me in 5th place out of about 20 shooters.  Anyway, the main aim was to have fun and in that regard it was a total success. :salute:

33x40 on positionals is pretty damn good G :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 10:48:54 PM

33x40 on positionals is pretty damn good G :tu:

Cheers buddy. :hatsoff:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:02:11 PM
I've got my old HW57 working again! :woohoo:  10mm groups at 25yards, 25mm groups at 40yards. 

Final problem turned out to be the stock.  After taking it apart again and again I'd managed to stretch the wood at the front stock bolts.  This meant that whole action wasn't sitting right in the stock and, I suspect, was moving very slightly on each shot.  A bit of fettling later and things seem to be back in shape.

It'll not replace my HW35 as my competition rifle, but it's fantastic to have a backup. :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:18:37 PM
Congrats on getting that sorted.   :tu:   :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 10:21:51 PM
Cheers buddy. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 02:51:51 PM
 :rant: :rant: :rant:

I was at the club last Sunday and was shooting my HW35 as per usual.  Something was up, something bad.  It had gone from being a beautifully consistent shooter to suddenly throwing out some low flyers.  Fast forward to this morning and I take it down to the indoor range.  First thought was the scope, so tried it with and alternative and still no better.  Took off the moderator and sling just in case something was interfering with the shooting cycle.  Still no better.  OK, it's probably just me right?  Fortunately one of my mates was there and had his chrono with him.  Shot a ten shot string and found out that it seems to be two different power levels, five shots giving me 10.9 ft/lb, the next five giving me 9.9 ft/lb. One whole ft/lb!  Did another ten shots and it did exactly the same thing....

Tried setting up my old HW57 but while it's better than it's been in a long time it's still not up to a place I'm totally happy with.

Don't know what's going on, but I think I need to open it up and have a look-see.  Given I've got a competition on Sunday I think it's time to dust off the Brocock.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 02:31:01 PM
Well, that's the course set up (one at my home club for a change) with myself and my friend being the ones who decided on the layout.  Lets hope everyone likes it.  The Brocock is nicely zeroed in with my Hawke scope on top. I've not seriously shot the Brocock on a proper course in months so I'm not holding my breath for a good score.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 05:40:43 PM
OK, enough of hijacking Kirky's blog, time for my own one. :-[

The good news is that the course my mate and I set up seems to have been popular enough, with a mix of short range, long range, elevation and declination, kill sizes and a couple of optical tricks thrown in as well. 

The gusting wind was a factor later in the day and I know it cost me a good few points, including a doughnut. :-\  That said I'm actually happy enough with my 49x50.  Not a top score but above average on the day.  Factor in that I was usiing a rifle that I hadn't shot in months, was hastily set-up and I was on my "best guess" hold over guide I really can't complain too much.

Now to see if I can get my HW35 working properly......

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 09:35:18 PM
....HW35 still not working properly. :-\  And I've got my first league competition tomorrow. :( 

I've got to admit that I've not actually put much effort into sorting it and the comp has kinda snuck up on me. :-[

The good news is that I've borrowed a very nice HW98 from my good friend (and rival) so at least I've got a chance to do well.  Of course trying to compete with a rifle that I've only shot for the first time this evening and only for about half an hour might seem foolish to some....:think:

Na, it'll be fine. :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:05:18 PM by Gareth »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 10:27:52 PM
Well, things got even more fun than planned.  Set off this morning at 7am to pick up two friends and head to the competition just outside of Glasgow.  2 hours later we arrive and, despite being relatively early, the car park is already full.  Not to worry though, there is a field set aside as an overflow.  Even better it's on a hill and covered in slick grass and mud, giving me a top excuse to knock my new car into 4x4 mode and park with ease.  Not the same story for most others though, so we got to sit on the tailgate feeling smug and watch car after car fail to make it into the field, let alone up the hill.  Very gratifying. 8)

So after watching the show we decided to actually do something with guns and took ourselves off to the plinking range.  Everything was working just fine and I was looking forward to shooting with my borrowed rifle.  One formality though, the chrono check to make sure all the guns are shoot below the 12ft/lb limit.  Got to the front of the queue and the HW98 is clocking at 12.1fl/lb. :doh:  No pass, no shoot.

Plan B is that my mate and I decide that we can shoot the course together and I can borrow the gun he brought for himself rather than the one he had already lent to me.  Only slight issue is that it's not set-up for my eye and I don't really have time to work out what the point of impact is for me.  The preamble is all in an effort to justify my woeful score of 37x60.  Borrowed gun, never shot it before, not set-up for me.  I think I've covered myself from all possible blame. :D

Still, it was actually a bloody good course that I'd not shot before and, despite not scoring at all well, I actually had a very pleasant day.  The fact I also had a good long run in my new car and very nearly justified having a 4x4 was just icing on the cake. :tu:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:30:32 PM by Gareth »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 10:52:44 AM
It's always fun watching people struggle to get parked >:D

37x60 under the circumstances isn't a bad result G,though I'm surprised you were allowed to share the gun. It's a pain the HW98 being over the limit...was it on pellet weight? Or was it simply over sprung?

As to the HW35,if worst comes to worst,look at sending it to Hull Cartridge for a full service :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 11:33:48 AM
It's always fun watching people struggle to get parked >:D

37x60 under the circumstances isn't a bad result G,though I'm surprised you were allowed to share the gun. It's a pain the HW98 being over the limit...was it on pellet weight? Or was it simply over sprung?

As to the HW35,if worst comes to worst,look at sending it to Hull Cartridge for a full service :pok:

We did clear it with the SARPA rep and he didn't seem to mind.  As to the HW98 failing I suspect it's a matter of two chronos disagreeing.....weather, lighting, calibration?  Who knows.  Our club one consistently read it at 11.7ft/lb, a little warm but on the safe side.  My mate's going to collapse a coil or two on the spring anyway.

As to my score, it's a lot better than nothing.  The SARPA league is decided on your cumulative top six scores over the year and, for one reason or another, I only shot five comps with a spring gun last year dropping me way down the order.

As to the HW35 I'm definitely going to be looking at the breach seal and the barrel lock-up to start with.  The barrel feels rock solid, but I'll strip it and see if there's something in there causing it to not be in just the right place.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 12:35:19 PM
Here's an interesting alternative to UKHFT: http://www.uksarc.co.uk/rules/

There's plan to run 3 or 4 of these comps up here in Scotland with, I believe, slight tweaks to those rules.  So no preset positional shots, no peg to hang on to, smaller targets with more realistically placed kill zones, and longer ranges.  The idea as I understand it is to make you think if it's worth going for a risky 2 points with a chance of a total miss or play it safe and go for the single point. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 11:23:06 AM
Not gotten around to fully stripping the HW35, but I have flushed the barrel articulation with gun oil and I definitively think I'm in the right area as it's markedly better.  I think it may be as simple as a rougue bit of crud or grease has gotten into the lock receiver.  However, while it's not too fiddly taking a HW35 apart putting it back together can be a very different story.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 05:00:53 PM
Not gotten around to fully stripping the HW35, but I have flushed the barrel articulation with gun oil and I definitively think I'm in the right area as it's markedly better.  I think it may be as simple as a rougue bit of crud or grease has gotten into the lock receiver.  However, while it's not too fiddly taking a HW35 apart putting it back together can be a very different story.

What with one thing and another I've only just gotten around to doing the full strip down this morning. :-[  Without wanting to jinx anything it does seem to be shooting well at the indoor and outdoor range.  I was rushed at the indoor range so the zero is a little rough, but it didn't do anything odd while I was setting it up, nor at the outdoor course.  I've got a few weeks until the next competition so I'll take my time and try and get it just so.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 02:22:26 AM
Got to play with a very neat little chronograph on Sunday; a Bluechron.  Very much a more up to date feeling bit of kit then the likes of the Combro, with a easy to read touchscreen interface.  Feels very well made as well.  Gave the same readings as a couple of table top chronos.  I was impressed. :tu:

The other good news is that it also confirmed that the HW35 is definitely back up and working, pushing out AAF pellets at 745fps for 10.35ft/lb.  It's not as quick as a lot of other rifles but it's sweet to shoot and  back to being accurate.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 02:25:55 AM
Also found out that one of my main rivals HFT is now the World Champ: https://sites.google.com/site/whfta1/results/2016-results/recoiling-class-results-2016

Congratulations to Dale.  Now all I have to do is beat him. >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 07:40:07 PM

There's plan to run 3 or 4 of these comps up here in Scotland with, I believe, slight tweaks to those rules.  So no preset positional shots, no peg to hang on to, smaller targets with more realistically placed kill zones, and longer ranges.  The idea as I understand it is to make you think if it's worth going for a risky 2 points with a chance of a total miss or play it safe and go for the single point.

Well, I got to shoot a competition under the SARCs rules and have to say it's a very fun format.  Interesting to see different shooters tackling the same shots in different ways.  Even better I won my class with a 42x60. :woohoo:  Given the highest score was a 47x60 I'm pretty happy with my shooting.
2016-05-08 15.35.28.jpg
* 2016-05-08 15.35.28.jpg (Filesize: 74.1 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 05:38:59 AM
Excellent!   :cheers:   :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 12:58:05 PM
Cheers mate. :hatsoff:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 03:12:10 PM
After shooting the SARCs competition on Sunday, which involves a lot more shooting from the knee, I was switched on to the benefits of a knee bag.  Basically it's used to support the rear leg and give you a more stable position to shoot from.  Anyway, being Scottish, I wasn't quite prepared to shell out £25+ for a purpose made bag. :whistle:  After a bit of rummaging through the cupboards I found this old boot bag that I'd gotten free years ago.  Then I stole a load of beans from my daughters beanbag (I'm a bad father >:D) and hey-presto a very serviceable shooting bag.
2016-05-10 14.04.04.jpg
* 2016-05-10 14.04.04.jpg (Filesize: 65.22 KB)
2016-05-10 14.04.54.jpg
* 2016-05-10 14.04.54.jpg (Filesize: 54.04 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 08:48:45 AM

Well, I got to shoot a competition under the SARCs rules and have to say it's a very fun format.  Interesting to see different shooters tackling the same shots in different ways.  Even better I won my class with a 42x60. :woohoo:  Given the highest score was a 47x60 I'm pretty happy with my shooting.

Bloody well done Gareth :clap:

Love your bean bag :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 02:29:18 PM

Bloody well done Gareth :clap:

Love your bean bag :tu:

Cheers buddy. :cheers:  If you get a chance to try a SARCs comp I'd certainly recommend it.  There was only a couple of Scottish HFT team there with their Styers and I don't think they enjoyed scoring so low, or that the Target class wasn't top billing. :D  All the normal tricks of shooting a target orientated PCP from a peg were out the window. 

I also liked the fact that you often had to decide between a risky kill or a safer plate shot.  Gave a lot of folks a large number of doughnuts.  All quite challenging and produced much lower scores than a HFT course, but then almost everyone felt they had an excuse for it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 06:22:20 PM
As he wasn't at all well my mate Nick didn't feel up to the competition on Sunday and, as he also competes in the Recoiling class and is a consistently good shot, his absence did my chances no harm.  On returning home and telling my loving daughter that I had finally won a competition she replied "well done Daddy.  Was that because Nick wasn't there?"  Ouch. ::)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 10:47:24 PM
Hey,a win is a win!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:21 PM
Hey,a win is a win!

Oh, I'll take it all right. :D  I have beaten Nick before, so it's not unprecedented, but I'm certain that he'd at least have run things close.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 03:34:34 PM
A new addition to the air rifle collection.  Gone is the troublesome HW57, in is a HW97.  For those of you with long memories you might recall that I've had an HW97 before. :whistle:  That one went goodbye when I was getting into PCP air rifles and I thought I'd not be doing a lot of spring gun shooting.  Fast forward to now and I barely touch the PCP and I'm firmly established in the Recoiling class.  Now I wasn't looking for a new gun, honest, but I happened to be looking at the second-hand pages of my old dealer and saw he had this up for sale at a very reasonable price.  A quick phone call later and I was in the car heading back to the Lothians.  He gave me a very fair trade in deal on the HW57 and so I shelled out £140 for this one.

OK, so it's still a heavy beast which was one of the reasons I got rid of my first HW97, but that one had a hollow synthetic stock and this one's all wood stock feels much better balanced IMO.
2016-05-18 14.19.33.jpg
* 2016-05-18 14.19.33.jpg (Filesize: 94.34 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 06:12:49 PM
Ive said this before,and I will say this again and again: the 97 is a truly great gun!

Hope this one works out for you G!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 06:24:07 PM
Ive said this before,and I will say this again and again: the 97 is a truly great gun!

Hope this one works out for you G!

Cheers John.  :cheers:  I'll be heading over to the indoor range shortly to see just how well the new 97 and I get along.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%