Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gareth's HFT shooting blog

Gareth · 101 · 5609

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gareth's HFT shooting blog
Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:03 PM
Ive said this before,and I will say this again and again: the 97 is a truly great gun!

Hope this one works out for you G!

Cheers John.  :cheers:  I'll be heading over to the indoor range shortly to see just how well the new 97 and I get along.

Well, we get along just fine.  Took about 2 minutes to zero, though more by luck than design.  After than it became a simple matter of pointing it at something and knocking it down, almost too simple.  It's incredibly mild mannered in terms of recoil.  No idea if it's been tuned already but it's sweet enough that I don't think I'll be doing anything in the short term.  Best yet is that it happily gave me 1p sized groups at 35 yards with all hits touching.  So no fiddling around with this one I think, just a steady diet of Air Arm Fields and it's good to go. 8)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:07:08 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 09:13:45 AM
Oh, and it also doesn't appear to be hold sensitive.  The only thing I've got to do now is get it checked on the chronograph to make sure it's not doing anything silly.  Given it's very mild recoil and it's flat trajectory I'm not unduly worried.

I've also got to start doing lots and lots of push-ups.  Lots and lots. :-\  This is still a heavy beast and unsupported standing shots are very tough on the arms.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 04:33:45 PM
Had the gun at the club today and it shot a very consistent 775fps with AAF pellets for 11.2ft/lb so no worries there.  Shot a perfectly acceptable 48x60 in light wind and with a "best guess" range map.  Should have been a 50x60 but I might have shot the wrong target once. :whistle:  On my second (and non-scoring) attempt to shoot the correct target I knocked it over.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:37 PM
Took the HW97k to the indoor range this morning to swap my Hawke scope onto it.  No trouble at all setting it up and I've basically go no excuse for missing other than human error.  Those might be famous last words though. :doh:

I've decide to experiment with my zero a little (remember those last words?) and have set it up as a 27 yard zero (first zero being 16 yards).  This gives me a very slight hold under between 18 and 24 yards, but as the pic will hopefully show it's all but non-existent.  With this set-up I've also got a negligible hold over up to 30 yards.  For all practicable purposes a zero from 16-30 yards?  We'll see. ;)

Did a slightly more rough set-up with my Nikko scope onto my HW35 as a back-up rifle just in case something goes wrong with the 97 between now and the competition on Sunday.
2016-05-24 11.14.37.jpg
* 2016-05-24 11.14.37.jpg (Filesize: 44.06 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: May 29, 2016, 09:19:09 AM
Heading for the next HFT comp in Dunfermline this morning.  Wish me luck. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 06:27:33 PM
Came a respectable third, with a 44x60.  The chap in second was only a point ahead of me and I felt I should have done a little better but I'm not complaining too hard as a medal is a medal. :D

Tough course with a lot of optical tricks that made ranging a real task.  Tellingly the guys who make up a large part of the Scottish team all came home with a comparative low score of 53x60, at least 5 points less than most of them expect to score.  A series of 6 targets were out across an open field where the wind was playing silly buggers and gusting from zero up to enough to make some folks miss completely.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 06:47:23 PM
Came a respectable third, with a 44x60.  The chap in second was only a point ahead of me and I felt I should have done a little better but I'm not complaining too hard as a medal is a medal. :D

Tough course with a lot of optical tricks that made ranging a real task.  Tellingly the guys who make up a large part of the Scottish team all came home with a comparative low score of 53x60, at least 5 points less than most of them expect to score.  A series of 6 targets were out across an open field where the wind was playing silly buggers and gusting from zero up to enough to make some folks miss completely.
:cheers:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 06:58:14 PM
Cheers mate. :hatsoff:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 04:15:25 PM
Just an afternoon at my home course but came in with a PB of 56x60 using the HW97k.  We keep a tally of scores over the summer months so this might net me something yet but I'll be honest and say I really don't pay attention to how these things work.

Anyway, very pleased with the result, dropped one point on either a gust of wind or a flyer, one on my unsupported stander, one on a 15mm kill and one on a supported kneeling shot where I jerked the trigger.
2016-06-05 13.39.59.jpg
* 2016-06-05 13.39.59.jpg (Filesize: 71.87 KB)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:37:42 PM by Gareth »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 10:34:32 AM
My club ran an "open sights" competition yesterday.  Open/iron sights have been making a bit of a popular comeback up here in Scotland over the last year with a good few people using them on the standard HFT circuit.  I can't say it sounds like fun to me, but each to their own. 

Anyway, my mate thought it might be nice to have a comp where the course had been set up with open sights in mind.  Sightly shorter ranges (up to 35 yards), slightly larger kills (no smaller than 20mm) and no peg to hang on to.  A marker simply denoted the general vicinity of where the shot was to be taken from.  There were a couple of prescribed positional shots, but other than that it was up to the individual to choose how to take each shot.

I'd had a couple of hours practice with iron sights over the last two weeks but other than that I'd not shot with them since I was a young teenager.  Perhaps not surprisingly the gold and silver went to a couple of chaps who have been shooting with open sights in the HFT circuit but I was very pleased with a bronze medal for myself.

Gold was 52x60
Silver was 48x60
Bronze was 46x60

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 11:45:18 PM
Here's an interesting alternative to UKHFT: http://www.uksarc.co.uk/rules/

There's plan to run 3 or 4 of these comps up here in Scotland with, I believe, slight tweaks to those rules.  So no preset positional shots, no peg to hang on to, smaller targets with more realistically placed kill zones, and longer ranges.  The idea as I understand it is to make you think if it's worth going for a risky 2 points with a chance of a total miss or play it safe and go for the single point.

Well, I got to shoot a competition under the SARCs rules and have to say it's a very fun format.  Interesting to see different shooters tackling the same shots in different ways.  Even better I won my class with a 42x60. :woohoo:  Given the highest score was a 47x60 I'm pretty happy with my shooting.

It's round two of the Scottish SARCs league and it's being held at my home club.   Somehow I was talked into setting the 30 new targets for the course. :doh:  I'm hoping everyone likes it. :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 01:52:19 AM
Today went well, with everyone saying that they enjoyed the course.  My mate Gavin took top honours in the Sporting gun section with a 49x60.  I came second in the recoiling class with a decent 46x60 just piping another clubmate into third with his 45x60.  An extremely good score given he's very new to shooting with a spring gun.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:10 AM
Looks like I came third in the Recoiling class at the HFT Scottish Championships.  If I sound slightly surprised at this it's because I had thought I came in fourth.  In my defence the guy who was given the place (and the trophy) on the day seems to have been awarded a couple of extra points in the morning round by a poorly added up score card.  It was a tough day, partly due to a pretty challenging morning course, partly due to the rain, but mostly due to the fact I was bloody knackered.  I'd spent the whole previous day travelling back from Northern Ireland and had to get up early on the Sunday to make it to the comp meaning I'd had about 4 hours sleep.  I did OK in the morning and for the first 20 targets in the afternoon but after that I fell apart and just couldn't seem to knock anything over. :-\  Now all I need is a tactful way of asking for my trophy. :think:

http://scottishairgunner.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3421

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 02:59:28 PM
Picked up my Scottish Championship 3rd place trophy on Sunday at the Grampian comp.  Sadly I didn't place at the comp itself after struggling with horrible gusty winds of up to 40mph.  Others coped better than I did.

DSC_0010.JPG
* DSC_0010.JPG (Filesize: 112.33 KB)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:29:17 PM by Gareth »

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #44 on: August 09, 2016, 03:09:14 PM
Exceptionally well done Gareth :salute:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 12:03:32 PM
Exceptionally well done Gareth :salute:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 12:18:21 PM
I've got a "open sights" competition on Saturday in Dunfermline.  "Open sights" simply means you can't use any kind of optic magnification, so simple peep sights, notch sights and diopters are the name of the game.  The targets aren't quite as small or as far away as on a normal HFT course, but the basic format is the same idea.  I've talked about this style before and attended one held at my club and came third.  I suspect this comp is going to be a little better attended so I'm not confident of doing so well this time but wish me luck anyway. :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 12:50:47 PM
I've got a "open sights" competition on Saturday in Dunfermline.  "Open sights" simply means you can't use any kind of optic magnification, so simple peep sights, notch sights and diopters are the name of the game.  The targets aren't quite as small or as far away as on a normal HFT course, but the basic format is the same idea.  I've talked about this style before and attended one held at my club and came third.  I suspect this comp is going to be a little better attended so I'm not confident of doing so well this time but wish me luck anyway. :D

That sounds like a lot of fun, good luck  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: August 13, 2016, 08:07:51 PM
Had a very nice walk in the woods this morning and I even shot at a few targets. ;)  Actually managed a quite respectable 3rd with a 41x60.  Much tougher course that the one we held at my club so the winning score of 49x60 was bloody impressive. :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 07:51:12 AM
There is surely only one reason I could want to be awake at this time on a Sunday morning (6:45am), yes it's another competition for me today. Wish me luck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 10:08:42 PM
Oooh, but it's tight at the top.  Two chaps finished on 47, myself and another finished on 46.  So this should lead to a shoot-off for 1st and 2nd and another for 3rd and 4th, right?  Well, no, sadly not.  Why?  Because the other chap on 46 missed a target that eventually gets pulled and so is given a bonus point taking him up into joint 1st and automatically dropping me to 4th.

Not helped that I had a really rough and ready zero on my scope due to me having had the stock off and only getting a chance to very roughly zero it on the outdoor plinking range twenty minutes before the comp started.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 02:10:49 PM
Why did they pull the target?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 04:16:48 PM
Oooh, but it's tight at the top.  Two chaps finished on 47, myself and another finished on 46.  So this should lead to a shoot-off for 1st and 2nd and another for 3rd and 4th, right?  Well, no, sadly not.  Why?  Because the other chap on 46 missed a target that eventually gets pulled and so is given a bonus point taking him up into joint 1st and automatically dropping me to 4th.

Not helped that I had a really rough and ready zero on my scope due to me having had the stock off and only getting a chance to very roughly zero it on the outdoor plinking range twenty minutes before the comp started.

What? explain please, I am easily confused (as you know :rofl: )

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: September 05, 2016, 10:22:17 AM
Why did they pull the target?

I believe it wasn't falling easily enough. ::)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: September 05, 2016, 12:04:59 PM
OK, so yesterday was the third and final round of the Scottish SARC league.  I've talked about the differences between SARC and UKHFT rules before so I'll not get into it again, but suffice it to say the chap setting yesterday's course could have done with double checking what those differences should be as it mostly felt very HFT.  In fairness that was at least in part down to the limitations of the ground.  I shot with my HW35 for a change, rather than my HW97, and that was a mistake.  Not that the HW35 isn't a good rifle, but it is much more hold sensitive, likes a lighter pellet and has a piss poor scope on it that I really need to replace.  All this is by way of making my excuses for shooting a poor round.

Happily, the League is based on your top two rounds rather than all three, so yesterday's score can be relegated to the pages of history and never thought of again. :whistle:  So with my 1st and 2nd in rounds one and two I won the overall Recoiling class.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: September 05, 2016, 02:57:55 PM
Nice haul of silverware there Gareth! Very well done mate :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #56 on: September 05, 2016, 02:58:51 PM
Good result Gareth  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: September 05, 2016, 05:30:58 PM
Cheers gents. :hatsoff:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #58 on: September 05, 2016, 07:50:51 PM
Congratulations. Nice knife you got there.

A weihrauch HW35 was my very first air rifle, in .177, with a peephole sight on it. With a decent spring in it, it had very repeatable accuracy.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: September 18, 2016, 06:31:37 PM
Back to the SARPA HFT league today, this time at Cloybank estate.  A nice enough course set up with good variation in range etc.  The wind on the other hand was making itself well known; ramping up and down all the time and making itself a bloody nuisance to be honest.  Took me far too long to get any kind of handle on it and so I only shot competitively for 20 or so targets.  All that said I did come home in second and had a few shots that I was flipping happy with given the conditions. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%