Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gareth's HFT shooting blog

Gareth · 101 · 5611

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gareth's HFT shooting blog
Reply #60 on: September 25, 2016, 06:20:10 PM
Just a afternoon at my home club today and my mate persuaded me into shooting the course with open sights.  Despite the course being set up for shooting with scopes I still had a bit of fun and came home with a 36x60 (8 kills, 2 doughnuts), my mate beat me by a couple.  Re-took a few shots after our head-to-head and, for some reason, did much better shooing from the knee rather than prone. Much better. 

I also might have bought a .177 Mk2 Air Arms S200 for a hundred quid. :whistle:  It's not for me you understand, it's for my daughter.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: September 25, 2016, 06:22:00 PM
New page banana dance!!

:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #62 on: September 25, 2016, 07:00:46 PM
Congrats mate :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: September 25, 2016, 07:06:33 PM
Congrats mate :tu:

cheers mate. :cheers:

Quick phone snap.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #64 on: September 25, 2016, 07:09:06 PM
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: September 27, 2016, 10:17:04 PM
My daughter just got the invitation to come to the induction day at my club on the 9th of October.  One very happy little girl. :D  Just so happens that I'm one of the guys running the induction day so I think her chances of getting in are pretty good. ;)  Given that the news has her bouncing off the walls I can't wait to see what she's like when I tell her I bought a rifle for her to use.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #66 on: September 27, 2016, 10:44:52 PM
My daughter just got the invitation to come to the induction day at my club on the 9th of October.  One very happy little girl. :D  Just so happens that I'm one of the guys running the induction day so I think her chances of getting in are pretty good. ;)  Given that the news has her bouncing off the walls I can't wait to see what she's like when I tell her I bought a rifle for her to use.

Go on tell, what did you get her? :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: September 28, 2016, 12:27:37 AM
The AA S200 is for her to use.  Not that I won't borrow it from time to time.  Just to make sure it's working you understand. ;)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #68 on: September 28, 2016, 10:25:09 AM
Well if it's as accurate as my S510 she will be out shooting you pretty quickly :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: September 29, 2016, 11:06:43 AM
Well if it's as accurate as my S510 she will be out shooting you pretty quickly :D

I'm hoping that's still a few years down the line. :think:  However if she does then I'll just take the credit as a fantastic instructor. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: September 29, 2016, 11:30:38 AM
OK, so you know I just got the S200 for my daughter, but I've also just done a little shopping for myself.  :whistle:

I saw this up for sale second hand at the dealership I've always dealt with and needed to have a look.

The side-lever system isn't nearly as common as break-barrels or even under-levers, but they do the job just fine.

If you can't quite make it out this is a Diana 48 and, in a departure for me, it's a .22.

You can probably tell that the condition is a little rough and ready, but it seems to be mechanically sound and the price I paid reflected it's condition.  I love the weight and feel of the rifle, it's gives off the air of being extremely over engineered and has a very old school vibe. 8)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #71 on: September 29, 2016, 01:03:30 PM
The MOD 48's are good, nice to see you have finally come over to the right way of thinking in calibre as well  :pok: :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: September 29, 2016, 01:11:52 PM
The MOD 48's are good, nice to see you have finally come over to the right way of thinking in calibre as well :pok: :rofl:

:P 

For HFT I think I''ll be sticking to .177 for a long time yet. ;)  This rifle just filled in a lot of "wants": I wanted a Diana made rifle, I wanted a side lever and I wanted one .22.  As I've said before there is quite a thing growing around shooting with open sights and I've enjoyed the couple of competitions I've done.  The iron sights are missing on the 48 but I've ordered a new set and I can see myself using this rifle strictly for that.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:15:53 PM by Gareth »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #73 on: September 29, 2016, 01:15:55 PM
The MOD 48's are good, nice to see you have finally come over to the right way of thinking in calibre as well  :pok: :rofl:

:P  For HFT I think I''ll be sticking to .177 for a long time yet. ;)  This rifle just filled in a lot of "wants": I wanted a Diana made rifle, I wanted a side lever and I wanted one .22.  As I've said before there is quite a thing growing around shooting with open sights and I've enjoyed the couple of competitions I've done at that.  The iron sights are missing on the 48 but I've ordered a new set and I can see myself using this rifle strictly for that.

I'm still looking for a Webley Omega in .22, the best break barrel rifle I have ever owned, I shot that for 3 years with open sights until I could afford a decent scope for it. My father view was "it's your hobby, you pay for it".

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: October 02, 2016, 06:37:53 PM
It was our turn to host the SARPA HFT league today and so I've spent a good few hours/days this week helping set up the competition course.  Not my design this time but there was still a lot of grunt work needing done.  It turns out that the gods were smiling on us and decided that they'd give us a splendidly sunny day with only a little wind for the first twenty minutes or so.  In my usual recoling class my mate (who also designed the course) came first with a 54x60, and my score of 52x60 was good enough to put me in the shoot-off for second/third. 

So the format for a shoot-off is this; three targets are set out, one each at 15, 25 and 35 yards and you take turns at shooting all three, all shots taken from the kneeling position.  Only shots that knock the target down count.  In the event of a tie they you do it again but this time from standing.  I found myself shooing against a chap from another club who just happens to be the World Champion in the recoiling class.  He goes first and knocks over one out of three from the knee.  Not bad, but I've got a chance of beating him.  Bugger, I do exactly the same, even going so far as to land my pellet marks right on top of his.  On to the standing then.  He takes his shots and, while all were close, he doesn't knock any over.  Here's my chance then; first shot I land just a hair low and it's still standing, second shot (this at the 25 yard) and joy-of-joy it goes over!  That's it, game over, no need to shoot at the last, I've beaten him.  OK, so it was only for second and as far as the league goes our scores are still recorded as the same, but in a straight head-to-head I came out on top.  Very happy with that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:40:55 PM by Gareth »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #75 on: October 02, 2016, 07:24:00 PM
 :tu: :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: October 02, 2016, 07:32:24 PM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: October 23, 2016, 11:12:25 PM
So that's it, the SARPA HFT league is now done.  Final competition was held at a club I've never been to before called Bedlay.  A very interesting course with more than half the shots being taken up the side of a ruddy steep hill!  Weather was fine for most of the day with wind only being a factor on one or two shots.  It took me too long however to get my head into shooting up at targets at more than 45degrees.  I got there in the end but couldn't put together a fantastic score (43x60).  That said it was more than some very good shooters managed so I placed third on the day. 

This was good enough to secure my fourth place in the league standings.  I honestly could have hoped for slightly better, but I'm not disappointed either.  I've gained plenty of bling over the summer and I did top the SARCs league so I've really got nothing to complain about. :D

england Offline Kev D

Reply #78 on: October 24, 2016, 12:54:34 PM
Congrats Gareth  :salute:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:56:24 PM by Kevin Davey »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: October 24, 2016, 03:03:41 PM
cheers Kevin.  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: November 01, 2016, 01:47:17 AM
Tonight was our clubs Halloween night-time shoot.  A great fun event with lots of ghoulish decorations hung around the place.  Just twenty shots all taken from the knee (or the occasional supported stander) so a maximum score of 40 possible.  The only downside was the fact it started raining heavily an hour before we started and didn't stop until 20 minutes after we finished. ::)  My mate and I got round the course a good 15 minutes quicker than anyone else. :D  Despite the rushing I managed to shoot well and only plated 4 targets and so came home with a very respectable 36x40.  Good enough to bag me second place out of about 12 shooters.  Keeping in mind that I think I was the only person shooting a spring gun I'm pretty bloody pleased with the result. :cheers:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #81 on: December 13, 2016, 08:27:17 PM
Missed this before, well done G  :salute:

After a lot of messing about about I got the TX working again or the 'Bitch' as I now affectionately call her. You'll have to have a go with that  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: December 13, 2016, 08:59:18 PM

After a lot of messing about about I got the TX working again or the 'Bitch' as I now affectionately call her. You'll have to have a go with that  :tu:

Cheers mate. :cheers:  I do like the TX, even if not quite as much as my HW97.  ;)  Remind me; is your's the full length rifle or the carbine?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #83 on: December 13, 2016, 09:02:54 PM

Cheers mate. :cheers:  I do like the TX, even if not quite as much as my HW97.  ;)  Remind me; is your's the full length rifle or the carbine?

It's the full length  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: January 05, 2017, 12:13:15 AM
Here's one for you Smashie.  My mate has gotten very into the idea of open sights shooting and so has put some diopter sights on his Tx200 carbine.  We were shooting at our indoor range tonight and I asked if I have a go.  I was stunned by shooting this five shot group at 25 yards!  That's less than a 5p sized group with open sights.  The guy who owns the TX was looking at my hits though a spotting scope and couldn't quite belive what he saw.
DSC_0075.JPG
* DSC_0075.JPG (Filesize: 149.86 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: January 05, 2017, 12:21:46 AM
To put this in context; that's a group I'd be perfectly happy with using a recoilless PCP rifle and a x10 mag scope.  My mate was quite rightly very pleased with putting all his shots in the black, which looks like a small pin head at 25 yards.  Shooting that group with a borrowed spring gun and open sights is, if I do say so myself, bloody impressive.  Not sure I could do it again mind you. ;)  Even this Weihrauch fan has to admit the TX is a bloody good gun.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: January 05, 2017, 12:32:59 AM
Had a fun competition at the club today.  Round 1 was with 10m pistol and some silly targets (small pictures of Santa etc), two points for a perfect shot, one for a more marginal hit.  I managed a pretty poor 13x40, though I should say that this was on the higher end of the score chart. :D  My mate, who shoots at a pretty high competition standard managed a much better 22x40, despite opting to shoot with a Crosman 2240.

Round 2 was up at the HFT course; 20 targets, kneeling or standing depending on personal preference.  I have to say I had a pretty bloody good round at this coming back with 33x40.  That beat a good few PCP shooters and was the top score with a spring rifle.

Combined scores put me in 5th place out of about 20 shooters.  Anyway, the main aim was to have fun and in that regard it was a total success. :salute:

And just to bring this blog full circle I really should mention the Christmas shoot last month.  Looking at what I did last year it's remarkable how little has changed. :doh:  Shot a 12x40 with the pistols (most shot less than 10; they're bloody small targets we're looking at).  On to the HFT course and it was a full 30 targets this year rather than 20 last year.  I shot a very good 44x60 all from the knee or standing,  mix of supported and unsupported.  Combined score was good enough to get me 4th overall and far and away the top spring gun score.  No prizes for that though. :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #87 on: January 05, 2017, 12:58:32 AM
Here's one for you Smashie.  My mate has gotten very into the idea of open sights shooting and so has put some diopter sights on his Tx200 carbine.  We were shooting at our indoor range tonight and I asked if I have a go.  I was stunned by shooting this five shot group at 25 yards!  That's less than a 5p sized group with open sights.  The guy who owns the TX was looking at my hits though a spotting scope and couldn't quite belive what he saw.

Yup that's damn Impressive and better than I manage with the 'Bitch'. although there are a few ting with her I cant quite put my finger on so it's off to the gunsmith.

My new glasses may help as well lol  :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: February 05, 2017, 07:36:49 PM
Here we go again. :D  Had the first leg of a pre-season "friendly" with the Grampian ARC, with this leg being hosted by them.  The rules are UKHFT but not all the targets are exactly compliant, with at least one being out to somewhere around 60 yards.  While this is a match between our two clubs anyone is welcome to come along, with that in mind it wasn't that well attended unfortunately. :-\  They are in the arse end of nowhere though so perhaps it's not all that surprising.  We had a couple of chaps shooting in the Open class, two more in the Open Sights and myself in the Recoiling.  Sadly one of the guys in the Open had a disaster and only shot a 38x60, nothing like as well as he can and we can only guess something is up with his rifle or scope.  The other chap shot a more respectable 48x60.  Our two reps in the Open Sights shot a 31x60 and a 36x60, not bad at all given the bias of the course towards long range. 

Still with me?  Good.  ;) 

So how did I do I hear you ask?  Well, remember I said if wasn't all that well attended?  That meant I had absolutely no-one to shoot against in the Recoiling class and I'd have still won if I'd shot myself in the foot on the second peg. ::)  The shame of it is that I shot a pretty decent 51x60 and I'd have given anyone else at least a very good run for their money, if not a sound hiding. Oh well, a very nice day out on a fun course, I scored more than a lot of PCP shooters and I shot well to do it, so I really can't complain too hard. :)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #89 on: February 05, 2017, 07:55:12 PM
A lot of people seem to be very anti springer now. I've been tweaking the TX and also myself and I'm getting pretty good with it. It's a big difference from a PCP but tame compared to what I'm used to (I would hardly call the TX recoiling).

If you can shoot a springer consistently, you can shoot anything. I miss with the 510, my fault, no excuses. I think it's people not being prepared to take the time to learn.  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD