Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gareth's HFT shooting blog

Gareth · 101 · 5614

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gareth's HFT shooting blog
Reply #90 on: February 05, 2017, 08:11:41 PM
I wouldn't say shooters up here are "anti" springer, but a lot of them skip over them and go for a PCP.  People acknowledge they are harder to shoot well, but don't seem to understand that some of us LIKE a challenge and find PCPs a bit boring.  The Open Sights competitions are done with springers I guess, but that's quite a different proposition.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #91 on: April 23, 2017, 11:03:25 PM
Well, it's Competition time again and today saw the 2017 SARPA League kick off in windy style at New Kypeside.  An interesting course that winds up a shallow river bed and has some crazy cross winds that seem to manage to blow in two directions at once.  :think:  I did OK at reading the wind, but I was particularly pleased with my range finding.  Even better I managed to shrug off a terrible streak of misses (a total of four doughnuts) and come back swinging. 
  It felt like something went wrong with the scope for a bit as I was totally missing mid-ranged targets that all but filled my reticule.  Just no way I shouldn't have hit something. :shrug:  I gave the whole rig a good shake to see if something sounded lose and, while it didn't rattle, it did seem to sort out whatever was going wrong.  So despite the shocking misses I still managed to rack up a good for the day 43x60 which was good enough for second place in Recoiling.
  Further investigation need to be done on the rifle and scope; check scope mounts, stock bolts, dial the internal scope tube all the way up/down, left/right etc. to see if something went wrong or if I was just suffering a run of bad luck in finding blades of grass or whatever.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: April 24, 2017, 12:47:37 PM
Good luck for the season  :tu:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #93 on: April 24, 2017, 12:54:31 PM
I wouldn't say shooters up here are "anti" springer, but a lot of them skip over them and go for a PCP.  People acknowledge they are harder to shoot well, but don't seem to understand that some of us LIKE a challenge and find PCPs a bit boring.  The Open Sights competitions are done with springers I guess, but that's quite a different proposition.

PCP is much much easier to shoot, especially the modern guns that really accurately regulate each shot so you get super consistency. I used to shoot at an indoor 10m club called SCAWS in my town, and used a weihrauch 35 with a peephole sight. I shot it for a couple of years before having it chrono'd  and finding out it had quite a swing in power between shots. I thought it was down to me wobbling around to much. It corrected for the most part with a new spring, but was never as accurate as the guys using pcp guns. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: May 01, 2017, 08:16:03 PM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #95 on: August 23, 2017, 08:49:18 PM
Well, I've not been doing a very good job of keeping up with this have I? :-[  I have shot a couple more competitions since I last posted and it's been going OK, especially my first place at the New Caledonian club.  Most recently though was the STS HFT Championship where I managed to come third for the second year in a row.  This consists of two courses in a single day and both of them tough.  Awkward shooting positions were the norm for the day plus a lot of shooting up a steep embankment.  I managed to put a crick in my neck on my third shot of the day and had had a niggle for the rest of the day.  However I certainly wasn't alone in that.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #96 on: August 23, 2017, 09:17:11 PM
Congratulations  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #97 on: August 24, 2017, 05:16:35 PM

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #98 on: August 25, 2017, 06:27:12 PM
Bloody well done sir :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #99 on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:56 PM
Bloody well done sir :salute:

cheers mate. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: October 31, 2017, 04:04:33 PM
I've not kept this going very well have I? :-[  The STS HFT League ended a couple of weeks ago and I managed a very respectable 2nd place in Recoiling class.  Theoretically I could have still stolen 1st at the last comp but I would have had to shot my best score of the year and, frankly, I didn't. :D  I did finally manage to win at my home ground though and I take some consolation from that.  Oddly, I think I probably scored better on average last year, but the courses felt less spring gun friendly and everyone who shot Recoiling class dropped a few points as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%