Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Three months now!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Three months now!
on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:12 PM
It's been a very long time since I did not have the obsession to not carry a different knife every few days. Beiing a life long knife nut, I've always had a handful of daily rotation, especially amount tyne traditional pocket knives I used to carry everyday. A stockman pattern, a fw barrows and sodbusters. A peanut. But it all seems to have changed.

I'm sure I wrote here about how when I fist got to our new home in Georgetown Texas, I wandered into a junk/antique store by chance. I NEVER do that kind of thing, but I was drawn to this one store on the town square while waiting for the better half. I ended up finding a dirty and neglected tinker in otherwise very fine shape for 10 dollars. The original factory edge was still on it, and the tools were mostly unused. Just needed a warm bath with some Dawn dish detergent and some mineral oil in the joints.

Well, it's been three and a half months now since zI rescued that tinker, and it has become a steady pocket companion. Only a few times I tried to carry something else, but each time I had the feeling I couldn't wait to get back home to swap back to the tinker. In that three and a half months, it's been a fine companion.

Now, after a lifetime of being a knife nut, and having a large number of pocket knives come and go, could I have found "the one?"

My dad carried a little Case peanut of this whole life, until the last ten years when arthritis made a regular pocket knife uncomfortable, and he switched to a Christy knife. On another forums we talk sometimes in awe about the 'one knife man' and how they got by with just the tone pocket knife. I am wondering now if I have arrived at that place. For the past three months that tinker has been my "one." It's almost like some weird karma that I arrived in Texas, and within a 48 to 72 hour window, I find a SAK in a second hand shop and it takes over my pocket and I don't want another knife anymore. I can only wonder if Texas has it's own red gods of fate?

Here's the mysterious tinker with the ever present classic in the keyring sheath.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:46:41 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Three months now!
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:04:19 PM
For those who want to emulate Carl, that same combo - Tinker + Classic SD - is available on Amazon Prime (U.S.) for $22.91 shipped.

Of course, a new Tinker won't have the character of cbl's, but you can add your own.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 08:22:49 PM
Carl.. thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Yes, the little Classic and the Tinker work well together. Here, in Germany, when people here the term "Pocketknife" many think on an SAK first. All the other stuff comes later.

But maybe... it´s one of the Texas things on your side, my friend.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:38:24 PM
Carl.. thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Yes, the little Classic and the Tinker work well together. Here, in Germany, when people here the term "Pocketknife" many think on an SAK first. All the other stuff comes later.

But maybe... it´s one of the Texas things on your side, my friend.

Like Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel always says : "Texas, it's not just a state, it's a state of mind......"
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 04:20:25 AM
You have found that mythical paradise of peace, happiness, and a Zen-like oneness with The Universe that other men only dream about for an entire lifetime without ever achieving it: OKN!

John

(OKN: One Knife Nirvana)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:26:31 AM
Very cool, Carl. :tu:  I'm a big fan of the Tinker. It was my first SAK, and still a trusted friend.  When in doubt, I grab my Tinker.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:39:03 AM
My Tinker is spending a lot more time in my pocket too, Carl.  It's just such a handy knife. 
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD