Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix L2D problems

Offline Abstraction

Fenix L2D problems
on: September 02, 2008, 04:24:39 PM
I'm wondering if there are any technical minded flashlight fans on here? I've got a Fenix L2D which i've had for just under a year i guess, fantastic light but ever since i got back from a rather drunken camping weekend it's been stuck in turbo mode, no twisting of the head will put it back down to standard mode, even taking the head right off doesn't dim it. 

Obviously being stuck in turbo is no good for battery life or overheating, not to mention it's just plain annoying having it go straight to blinding mode as soon as you turn it on!  I can't figure out what's wrong with it and it does 'feel' like the head is a bit different to twist, i'm wondering if any parts could have fallen out?  At the moment if i twist the head off there is just the led in the centre with two wires and a white lump in the head, should there be a washer or something there?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fenix L2D problems
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:33:52 PM
There shouldn't be anything between the LED "pill" and the reflector.

I've worked on a lot of Fenix lights.  I hate to the the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like something on the circuit board has gone bad.  Does strobe mode work, or just turbo?
- Terry

Offline Abstraction

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:13 PM
Yeah the strobe works just fine but it's either turbo mode or strobe unfortunately, and the head just doesn't seem to twist as smoothly as it used to.  Any idea how good the Feinx warrenty is in the UK? It should still be covered but i have none of the original packaging unfortunately.  I bought it from Heinnie so i might send them an email.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:58:56 PM
There is only one thing that would cause the normal modes to not work on the L2D other than the circuit going bad.  If the contact ring on the bottom side of the head is somehow shorted to the walls of the head, it would make this happen.  That is how the switch works--when the head is screwed down tight against the body, that connects the contact ring with the body of the flashlight.  Otherwise, they should be electrically isolated.  Be sure there are no foreign objects inside the head where the body screws in.
- Terry

Offline Abstraction

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:21:50 PM
Thanks for the help, i can't see any foreign objects, it does feel slightly 'grainy' when i screw it on but nothing there that i can see.  I emailed Heinnie and linda has already got back to me, within 15 minutes!  She said i can send it back to them and they will either get it repaired or replaced  :)  Will just do that i guess, as there's nothing i can see wrong with it and if as you say the circuit is fried then there won't be much i can do! I just hope their returns policy is as fast as their reply's to emails!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:49:58 PM
Sounds good!
- Terry

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:38:17 AM
I could be wrong but here's my analysis of the problem.

The lower portion of the head (red arrow) got stucked to the body tube, hence it is permanently engaged in turbo mode. You were actualy turning the upper join (blue arrow) and the grainy material you mentioned is dried loctite. Turn counterclockwise the lower portion of the head (red arrow) to release the turbo mode.

Remove all grainy materials on the thread of the lower portion of the head (2nd pic, yellow arrow), apply loctite and tighten.

Next time when you want to change mode don't hold the upper portion of the head. Hold only the lower portion with knurling.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:19:02 AM
hmmm...  That is a very good analysis.  I thought it was odd that his head separated anyway....

I'd say you're right Eddie.
- Terry

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:54:46 AM
Thank you Terry.

Offline Abstraction

Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 09:57:57 AM
That's it! Nice thinking mate. I was wondering why it 'felt' different to twist, it's twisting in a different place!  The only thing is, there's no way i can get the lower part to twist, i'm not a small guy and my grip has got me through over a decade of Judo, but this thing aint budging now matter how hard i try!   

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:03 AM
Try wrapping the part that got stucked with rubber band or flat tourniquet.

Offline Abstraction

Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:26:45 AM
Done it  :D cheers mate, i wrapped it in a rubber glove, then two tea towels and got a swisstool to the top part of it and a wave to the bottom, quick twist in either direction and it was loose with no damage to the body!  Now just need to clean and glue the top bit, would you recomend a bit of WD40 on the threads to stop that happening again or would that not be wise so near the battery's?  It's working perfectly again at any rate though so cheers for that, saved me a bit of a wait, i just have no idea how it managed to get stuck on 'that' tightly!!  I was pretty pissed when i used it out camping but i'm sure i wouldnt have overtightened it like that.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:14:21 AM
I think grease is better than oil. WD40 is too light.

I'm happy your L2d is now ok mate!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 12:51:41 PM
So am i, great great light so it was frustrating for it to develop problems!  Thanks a lot to both of you for your help  :)  I can't believe it was something so simple, the thing was on so tight i really didnt think that there was another joint in there!  I just figured the reason it felt different to twist was something to do with the problem! 

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:36 PM
Good job Eddie!

You should use some silicone grease on the threads and o-ring.  You can usually find this at hardware stores in the plumbing section.  A small drop of Loctite on the other threads dried overnight will keep the head from separating.
- Terry

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 03:07:24 PM
 :cheers: to your L2D, Abstraction!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 03:58:23 PM
Cheers mate, i was worried for a while there that i wouldnt be able to make maglite users feel inadequate anymore :D

I'll pick up some silicone grease next time im in town, already cleaned out the threads and put some superglue on it , will leave it to dry for a while now :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%