Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Google My Tracks (GPS tracking app) Replacement?

comis · 16 · 7432

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Google My Tracks (GPS tracking app) Replacement?
on: February 24, 2016, 05:58:38 AM
Hi, all.

I had been using the google My Tracks app, together with my phone GPS, to plot/track my outdoor or travel activities, and can't be happier with the detailed data recording and its presentation.  It could:

--Map out where I'd been,
--Present an elevation vs time chart
--Record data on the travel. 
--Allow pictures taken and be located on map

The best part is the data could be automatically backed up onto the google drive, and those data could be exported later into various popular format(GPX, KML, etc).  During use, it doesn't need the user to be online, and hardly use any battery life(I could put my phone in airplane mode, record an 8 hour journey, but still have half the battery left on phone). :drool:

Random screenshot pulled from web:

Now the sad part is, for whatever reason, Google has said this app didn't receive enough rating or not popular enough, and they plan to stop support this app, and the app itself will stop working sometime in April this year.  I am curious whether any of us have any good suggestion for (free) reliable cell phone app that could do the same thing?

Or any handheld GPS that is lightweight and could do the same thing?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:00:35 AM by comis »

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Re: Google My Tracks (GPS tracking app) Replacement?
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:16:25 AM

You could potentially use Garmin Bicycle computer or a Triathlon/Running computer and get something close to what you are looking for. Download the Garmin Connect software or App for free to view information, stats, playback your trip on the map, etc. It will also save all your tracking data on your PC to be used with other software.

Some of these devices have a battery life of 15+ hours so should be good for day's drive or more if connected to a USB charger. I have tried this on a Key West trip about 10 years ago with satisfactory results. Not sure if it will show pics though.

To give you an idea here is a bike ride I did with some of the information shown on the Garmin Connect website.
GarminConnect1.jpg
* GarminConnect1.jpg (Filesize: 136.74 KB)
GarminConnect2.jpg
* GarminConnect2.jpg (Filesize: 103.18 KB)
GarminConnect3.jpg
* GarminConnect3.jpg (Filesize: 69.49 KB)

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:32:43 AM

Dug through my activities and found a Motorcycle trip I recorded using a bicycle computer. Day 1 of a 12 day ride we did to Vancouver. Also a train ride from the City to my Mom's place. Like you, I too like to go back and see some of the road trips I have done.

GarminConnect4.jpg
* GarminConnect4.jpg (Filesize: 128.52 KB)
GarminConnect5.jpg
* GarminConnect5.jpg (Filesize: 121.39 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 07:39:14 AM

You could potentially use Garmin Bicycle computer or a Triathlon/Running computer and get something close to what you are looking for. Download the Garmin Connect software or App for free to view information, stats, playback your trip on the map, etc. It will also save all your tracking data on your PC to be used with other software.

Some of these devices have a battery life of 15+ hours so should be good for day's drive or more if connected to a USB charger. I have tried this on a Key West trip about 10 years ago with satisfactory results. Not sure if it will show pics though.

To give you an idea here is a bike ride I did with some of the information shown on the Garmin Connect website.

Thank you for the reply, I had a Garmin handheld GPS from probably 10-15 years ago, but the modern versions do look way better and usable.  I'm curious whether any of them could be charged via micro usb port while using AA rechargables(same as a samsung phone)?

I probably won't mind carrying a gps for short hikes, but if I could find a good app, then it will mean one less thing to carry.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:25 AM

Dug through my activities and found a Motorcycle trip I recorded using a bicycle computer. Day 1 of a 12 day ride we did to Vancouver. Also a train ride from the City to my Mom's place. Like you, I too like to go back and see some of the road trips I have done.

Definitely, I love to see where I've been especially when I am visiting a new city.  Another reason why I am so attached to "My Tracks" is because I could import those geo-data into Adobe Lightroom(photo database/processing software), and Lightroom has the capacity to pinpoint my photo onto a map by those data.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:56:38 AM

A few my my riding friends use the free Strava App to record their rides/runs using their phones. You can look into that. Again it's a sports based App so not sure it will suite your needs.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:00:12 AM
Yeah, Strava would do it but it's very much a cycling and running thing. Endomondo might be better for you.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:11:37 AM
Looks like all these are apps need to sign-in or register, I think I will give them a try.  Anything that work as a plain vanilla track recorder?  Nowadays my phone is practically a testing ground for any gps tracking apps... :D

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:44:18 AM
What about map my run, map my hike and other map my apps?

Offline duky

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 11:57:44 AM
Look at Locus app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus

I use it during hiking and also for track sports and geocaching.
You can use online or offline maps, import/export tracks in many formats.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 07:28:40 PM
Thanks, mrynnr and duky!  I will check them out too, I think my priority is to find a plain vanilla app without need of registration or storing my traveling data online.  And if I couldn't find one that I like, I will start exploring those that need registration or even paid app.  :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 03:32:13 AM
I have been using My Tracks for a few years now and I love it.  That's terrible news that it is going to disappear.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 05:32:21 AM
I have been using My Tracks for a few years now and I love it.  That's terrible news that it is going to disappear.

Def

Boss, just a friendly reminder, please backup all your precious outings data.  Supposedly the app will stop working and even the data may potentially be gone, be sure they are all exported/backed up at google drive.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 02:29:22 PM
There seems to be a replacement for MyTracks called.... My Tracks.....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zihua.android.mytracks

I'm going to give it a shot and see how well it works.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 09:49:01 AM
I use ViewRanger GPS. I probably had to register since they send me the odd email.
I am yet to do anything with the tracks I have recorded on it so I can't tell you much about it sorry!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 01:04:23 PM
I have been using Samsung Health to track my excursions lately.  I'm not convinced on how effective the mapping is, but I like to use native software whenever possible, and not duplicate it with add on apps unless necessary.  Since my phone and watch are both Samsung, they can share data between them for Samsung Health and it works rather well.

Plus I get the health tracker info too, like calories burned, heart rate etc in addition to the elevation, speed and map info.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%