Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Latest Links of general interest (newspapers, articles, research....)

dks · 1019 · 49154

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
You don't want to dip your toes in?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
When they say they are legless they're not talking about getting falling down drunk.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Poor fella but the comments  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Poor fella but the comments  :rofl:

Geez, not a single person to give him a leg up...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
You just made me choke on a spoonful of yoghurt.  :cheers:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nz Offline Syncop8r

I was hoping you boys wouldn't see that.   ::)

And no, that's not what.....

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/28/germany-agrees-to-pay-namibia-11bn-over-historical-herero-nama-genocide

"Germany has to agreed to pay Namibia €1.1bn (£940m) to fund projects among communities affected by the Herero-Nama genocide at the start of the 20th century, in what Angela Merkel’s government says amounts to a gesture of reconciliation but not legally binding reparations."
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/27/switzerland-walks-out-of-seven-year-treaty-talks-with-eu

"Switzerland has walked out of talks on a closer trading relationship with the European Union despite being offered better terms than the UK in key areas, EU officials have claimed.

On Wednesday the country’s foreign minister, Ignazio Cassis, pulled the plug on long-running discussions with the EU, saying that Berne’s conditions were “not met”."

could affect knives..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Light Microscopes gain resolution with help of new technology.

https://scitechdaily.com/ordinary-microscope-sees-in-super-resolution-with-specially-engineered-light-shrinking-material/

That is quite cool actually, thanks for posting this.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/40695/the-electric-ford-f-150-can-power-your-entire-house-for-three-days-on-a-single-charge?utm_source=morning_brew

New Electric Ford F-150 could power a house for a few days.
I saw this, pretty neat...

Though I think the problem is, that you can't drive your truck. There is also little chance that your truck is charged to begin with and chance that it is fully charged is probably close to zilch.
I always liked the idea of exchangeable battery packs. Something like this:
https://revolution-green.com/solar-powered-scooter-battery-charging-stations/
Technically, you could also power your house with those. Power outage, go to the station, pick a couple of batteries up, stick them into your house, voila power.
It also would work for cars. Have your main battery and use a system like this as emergency range extension.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline gregozedobe

I saw this, pretty neat...

Though I think the problem is, that you can't drive your truck. There is also little chance that your truck is charged to begin with and chance that it is fully charged is probably close to zilch.
I always liked the idea of exchangeable battery packs. Something like this:
https://revolution-green.com/solar-powered-scooter-battery-charging-stations/
Technically, you could also power your house with those. Power outage, go to the station, pick a couple of batteries up, stick them into your house, voila power.
It also would work for cars. Have your main battery and use a system like this as emergency range extension.

There has been some discussions recently about connecting larger car batteries to your house mains system so you can have cheaper electricity when the spot price for grid power is very high.  The assumption is you will be able to recharge your car battery from the solar panels on your roof.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
There has been some discussions recently about connecting larger car batteries to your house mains system so you can have cheaper electricity when the spot price for grid power is very high.  The assumption is you will be able to recharge your car battery from the solar panels on your roof.
Well, the first problem would be easier solved by not using electricity to speculate. But I will stop politics here and move to solar panels :P
I think the problem here is, that you need at least 60 m2 to charge your Ford F-150 Lightning in a single day, double that if you have the extended range version. That is already quite a significant solar station.

au Offline gregozedobe

Well, the first problem would be easier solved by not using electricity to speculate. But I will stop politics here and move to solar panels :P
I think the problem here is, that you need at least 60 m2 to charge your Ford F-150 Lightning in a single day, double that if you have the extended range version. That is already quite a significant solar station.

Note that I didn't say I thought it was a good idea, just that it has been discussed ....

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Note that I didn't say I thought it was a good idea, just that it has been discussed ....
Well, I actually think it is a good idea :D
Sadly, reality does not give a smurf what I think. But thankfully, there are smarter (than me) people that also think this is a good idea and trying to make it happen

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Solar energy is a great concept and has a lot of applications.

One of the practical problems with it is the amount of surface area it requires to achieve the desired effect. It takes a lot of land area to harness enough energy to make a difference. Especially for industrial energy needs.

A house can generally be powered by panels on its roof. It usually does not require the entire house to be covered with panels. However, there is only a limited amount of space there. If you add the significant feature of charging an electric vehicle, you may well exceed your roof space. If you have two electric vehicles in your household....well, you see how it can go on from there.

Every form of energy use has an impact on the planet, the local environment, and on the available space remaining. (Sometimes the impact is miniscule, other times much more significant).

If resources are used wisely, there is enough room on this planet to meet the needs of many times the current population. The problem is, things are not used efficiently. Not every square inch of planet is used for living space, food and materials production, and power production. Finding ways to use space wisely is key to healthy growth.

Electric panels on top of buildings is a good example of stacking resources. So are multi-story buildings. However, eventually you run into the problem of not enough daylight getting to the street level (NYC has this problem). Growing food on top of buildings, or even on the sides of buildings, is another possibility. Solar panels on building walls is another thought. Underground facilities have multiple applications, as well as sea-based infrastructure.

It's hard to know how many people could be on this planet, but I personally suspect that between 100 billion and 1 trillion could be sustained.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Whoa. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/-/wdn-20210623-1?fbclid=IwAR0a1HorA3OKXXjYz_HyBirpT_YxfranpnfN7crmLgVUiwYAxMB44ozgyQM

Consumer price levels in the European Union, Iceland, Switzerland and Norway , 2020

Nice. We're above EU only in Communications and Personal Transport. Not bad... if the same was true for Income.

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
We are above average in every category :facepalm:

And Switzerland is expensive. We already knew that :)

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/may/20/william-shatner-interview-love-loss-and-leonard-nimoy

Interesting interview with William Shatner
He just is cool to skate on. One of my heroes

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91