Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Naked and Afraid- what would you choose?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Naked and Afraid- what would you choose?
Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 12:28:20 AM
I watched an episode today where the woman claimed to be a witch, and rather than do anything useful she spent her time weaving pentagrams and headbands while complaining that the guy wasn't doing enough.   :facepalm:

Def

:rofl:
Now that sounds like a fun episode. Maybe I quit it too early.

I think it was the last episode of season 2.  She ate a rotten parrot head at the end and had to be pulled a few hours before the completion due to medical issues.

:facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 12:30:15 AM
Not having seen it, what knife to they give them?

I think the contestants pick the knives they bring.  Most bring a good sized knife- or a small machete, although I have seen a couple of people bring axes too.

One woman pulled out a Tom Brown Tracker that was fairly well used already from the looks of it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 12:39:54 AM
Not having seen it, what knife to they give them?

I think the contestants pick the knives they bring.  Most bring a good sized knife- or a small machete, although I have seen a couple of people bring axes too.

One woman pulled out a Tom Brown Tracker that was fairly well used already from the looks of it.

Def

The Tracker is a good choice, machetes are too thin for anything other than clearing undergrowth, unless of course you are Danny Trejo  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 02:36:38 AM
It seems like machetes might be too big to clean the small game they manage to get on most episodes.

Def

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:59 AM

Not a bad idea. :tu:  Being a vegetarian who eats, roots shoots and leaves I could bring that and a box of condoms...

Not a bad idea. Though no funny business happens between the two participants (really, are you sure you want to play, literally, dirty?  :D ), condoms can have various usages: protect you junk from insects (better than nothing!), contain and transport water, plant seeds....

However, they probably allow you to bring only one piece though  :D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 07:17:51 AM
I've watched most of it, for me the attractive women didn't stay attractive very long  :rofl:

I would want a knife, a pot and a ferro rod.  It all depends on the location, that determines what you can improvise.   They might as well standardize the equipment since that's no what makes the story.

There is a moment in the first XL season.......I honestly believe the planet would be a better place without that woman in it.

XL season 2 also had a moment, not as bad just idiotic.......don't want to spoil it for anybody. 
What I will say is the way XL S2 ended redeemed the show......fascinating how quickly things can go wrong.....

Offline lurkee

Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 04:12:53 PM
IF they'd give me a cooking pot (as has happened) I'd want Leatherman Surge,  with 7" dewalt saw blade, ferrorod, scoop knife as part of the tool. I can make a stone adze for the heavy work. I'd want my partner to bring a BIG paracord gill net. If not allowed, I'd want her to bring a big hammock, made of 7 strand paracord. Unravel whichever, separate out the strands and weave a much larger gill net and have lots of cordage for making a bundle-bow, bow drill, pump-drill, etc.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:14:36 PM by lurkee »

Offline lurkee

Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 04:23:43 PM
I've watched dozens of these shows. Everyone averages losing a lb per day, and some have lost nearly 2 lbs per day (like AJ in the first show. The women lose less, until the man has to leave. When they have to do all the heavy work themselves, women lose just as much as men do. The only thing that they have caught that was worth the effort was big eels/snakes or manta rays. None of them know to have the small end of the spear be a 4 tined gig, with the big end sharpened. for bigger critters. It needs to be 7 ft long, and to have a short, small diameter stick or a stone lashed to the small end, to make the spear balance midway along its length. They need to rig a sling for the spear, and a belt for hanging their throwing stick. 

They also need to learn to dig a hole, line it with clay, fire the clay with coals and red-hot stones, then have a big bowl for boiling water and cooking. Roasting wastes food and you have to tend the food constantly.  They also need to learn to make a SMALL, low shelter, with a raised bed and  (if it's cold) a Siberian fire lay. An awning is easier to add, for shelter from the rain, for yourself, your fire and your fire wood. Get the wood up on a drying rack and keep the bush-roof dampened, so it doesn't catch fire. Learn to bank the fire at night, None have bothered to make a stone adze, almost none have bothered to make a bow, or even a throwing/digging stick. They'd suffer a LOT less if they brought the right gear, did the right things, ASAP. You have to go like hell, that first 2-3 days, while you still have strength from your normal life and ASAP, get major amounts of food coming in. Plants dont hack it, unless you have a major source of acorns, nuts, tubers and I mean several lbs per day, reliably, for each person. Greens have almost no food value, not worth the picking in the short term, but needed for vitamins and minerals in the long term.

Gotta make containers, ASAP. Big leaves suffice in the jungle. Bark does the job in other places, hollowed out hunks of log have worked, and of course,  you can normally make simple pottery and baskets.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:34:42 PM by lurkee »

Offline lurkee

Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 04:38:07 PM
given the Surge multitool and the cordage from the hammock, you can make a big stone adze in one day, for heavy work.. You'll never (primitively)  make anything as useful as the Surge, tho!  Especially not if it incorporates the Signal's ferro rod and sharpening tool

Offline lurkee

Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 04:40:09 PM
If I could take the cookpot that I wanted, on top of the hammock and the Surge tool, we'd be in pretty good shape, cause the lid of mine is haftable as a machete. :-)

Offline lurkee

Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 04:45:17 PM
Only rarely have they known to IMMEDIATELY get a fire (barring heavy storms, when first you have to seek shelter). You'll need potable water in just an hour of the sort of hard work you'll have to be doing and you don't DARE risk drinking it without first boiling it. The dehydration swiftly, and I mean in a very few hours, leads to making bad decisions and awkward movement. So fire is of paramount importance, even if it's not cold. get it NOW, and get LOTS of water boiled, so you can stay hydrated, while you seek out the best location for "home" and get a shelter (one for self and one for the fire). If you wait for the firemaking, rain or dampness can prevent your getting it at all (especially if you dont have a ferro rod ).  Get the hammock/net set for fish ASAP. Make a digging stick and use it to dig "j-channels" along the  water's edge, trapping minnows that you can use to bait the nets. Whittle and fire-harden some fishhooks, until you can make some out of bones. Set the lines to spring poles, so that something "sets" the hook in the fish's mouth. Find and fracture stones for usable tools.

Fish, eels, snakes, amphibians, are by far the best return for your time spent trying to get flesh food. Bird snares are worth the time needed to make and set them (usually) but bird traps are not.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:49:59 PM by lurkee »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 08:20:11 AM
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0820-everything-is-allowed-fighting-alcohol-murder-rape-smoking-anything/

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/15/russian-reality-tv-show-allow-rape-murder-game2-winter

"Game2: Winter will strand 30 contestants in the -40F (-40C) Siberian wilderness for nine months with the surviving winner receiving a $1.6m prize. It will stream 24/7 online."
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Dwest

Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 12:04:02 AM
I watched an episode today where the woman claimed to be a witch, and rather than do anything useful she spent her time weaving pentagrams and headbands while complaining that the guy wasn't doing enough.   :facepalm:

Def

Sounds like my brother's ex was on the show.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 02:43:01 PM
Yeah, I was a bit surprised at how useless she was.  She kept saying things like "If my husband was here we'd have meat on the table long before now."

She sounded totally self sufficient....  ::)

I have a bit of a laugh at many of the guys that go on the show that are hunters.  They always have this great history of hunting, and their photo at the beginning is often them posing with a wild boar they have killed or something similar.... which is great, but they forget one key item that they have always had while hunting and don't have now- their guns.

I don't care how many times you have successfully hunted in life with a rifle or shotgun, you can't count on those skills when you no longer have the ability to take down large prey at a distance.  The game changes greatly when you don't have a gun... or crossbow, compound bow or even a recurve.  When you don't have the ability to strike a target at a distance, hunting is very difficult, if not impossible.  Before distance weapons, humans used to hunt by running prey down until they were exhausted, then finishing them off, but we, as a species, don't have that level of endurance anymore.

We often wonder while watching the show why more people aren't trapping and snaring animals, and the few that do are only setting one or two traps when they really need to set at least ten to twelve.   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Defe

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 07:43:45 PM
Yeah, I was a bit surprised at how useless she was.  She kept saying things like "If my husband was here we'd have meat on the table long before now."

She sounded totally self sufficient....  ::)

I have a bit of a laugh at many of the guys that go on the show that are hunters.  They always have this great history of hunting, and their photo at the beginning is often them posing with a wild boar they have killed or something similar.... which is great, but they forget one key item that they have always had while hunting and don't have now- their guns.

I don't care how many times you have successfully hunted in life with a rifle or shotgun, you can't count on those skills when you no longer have the ability to take down large prey at a distance.  The game changes greatly when you don't have a gun... or crossbow, compound bow or even a recurve.  When you don't have the ability to strike a target at a distance, hunting is very difficult, if not impossible.  Before distance weapons, humans used to hunt by running prey down until they were exhausted, then finishing them off, but we, as a species, don't have that level of endurance anymore.

We often wonder while watching the show why more people aren't trapping and snaring animals, and the few that do are only setting one or two traps when they really need to set at least ten to twelve.   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Defe
Or they hunted in groups, trapping animals in a corner.

There have been rock paintings found which show prehistoric humans pushing a boulder off a cliff when a large animal passed.
If you aren't strong, be smart.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 18, 2017, 10:11:36 PM
Absolutely. 

My point was that modern hunters use tools that aren't available in the Naked and Afraid scenarios.  All of the guys on the show who claim to be top notch hunters are usually the hungriest because they are used to shooting prey, a small fact they seem to forget about when talking about what awesome and skilled hunters they are.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%