Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

found a use for the useless hook

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: found a use for the useless hook
Reply #60 on: October 31, 2017, 10:14:21 AM
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71139.new.html#new

Remember, to a caveman a pencil is only tinder, for he knows not it's value.
I like that!  8)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:03 PM
Da Hook comes in very handy when taking pictures outside.
the hook.jpg
* the hook.jpg (Filesize: 284.95 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 04:46:37 PM
 :like: :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 05:25:18 PM
Da Hook comes in very handy when taking pictures outside.
Cute....  :whistle:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #64 on: January 14, 2018, 03:15:39 AM
Seriously,  you can get stones out of your car tires....
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: January 14, 2018, 05:19:26 AM
So, at work, if there's a guy in the office that I have to find work to give him, he is superfluous and UN-needed and sent home.

That would be the hook. Taking rocks from my tire tread is accomplished with the awl, the cap lifter screw driver, the back spring Phillips...

Brass staples are easily taken out of cardboard boxes with the plyers of my PS4. If you want to keep it SAK related, the plyers of my Deluxe Tinker. Or pried out with one of the screw drivers.

No ill will here fellas, just saying you would be hard pressed to find a function for the hook that can't be done with another tool or component of the same knife.

What a waste of metal. Just think, - all those hooks could have been used for Pioneer X scissors or Camper saws...

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 14, 2018, 06:18:04 AM
So, at work, if there's a guy in the office that I have to find work to give him, he is superfluous and UN-needed and sent home.

That would be the hook. Taking rocks from my tire tread is accomplished with the awl, the cap lifter screw driver, the back spring Phillips...

Brass staples are easily taken out of cardboard boxes with the plyers of my PS4. If you want to keep it SAK related, the plyers of my Deluxe Tinker. Or pried out with one of the screw drivers.

No ill will here fellas, just saying you would be hard pressed to find a function for the hook that can't be done with another tool or component of the same knife.

What a waste of metal. Just think, - all those hooks could have been used for Pioneer X scissors or Camper saws...
Okay Thundah,
Time to burst the bubble,
Find me another tool on a SAK that can efficeintly pull that elusive wire from a tied and bundled section of control wiring for testing without potentially dammaging  it.  There are real uses for the hook, just maybe not in everyones daily use list.
20171102_114922[7511] (2).jpg
* 20171102_114922[7511] (2).jpg (Filesize: 200.24 KB)
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 10:23:18 PM

Okay Thundah,
Time to burst the bubble,
Find me another tool on a SAK that can efficeintly pull that elusive wire from a tied and bundled section of control wiring for testing without potentially dammaging  it.  There are real uses for the hook, just maybe not in everyones daily use list.

Hi Douglas,

All in good fun. Bubble intact, I untie and unbundle wires when working and testing them, at least, as much as possible. And rebundle or retie when done. When I'm ready to get serious, a dedicated tool is the order of the day. I'm no electrician. For computers and telephone wire and circuit boards, I use a Menda Spudger with wire hook.

What you are doing in the picture is certainly more easily done with the hook, if you decide not to untie the bundle. But it could be done - carefully - with the backside of the awl, or gingerly with the can opener, or half-stop the cap lifter and use that. Backspring Phillips can worm it's way in there. Depending on the location of the wire, maybe even the Deluxe Tinker plyers.

Yes, pretty easily done with the hook as well, but I'm just saying, to make the hook a permanent addition to every SAK with scissors hardly justifies the cost and material.

Possibly on some sort of electricians version.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:34:58 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 14, 2018, 10:31:19 PM
Additionally, if I am testing wires in the first place, I presume I have my volt-ohm meter or multi-meter with me. One of the probes can help me manipulate wire, unplugged from the meter if need be. Sorry Douglas.

Seriously though. All in good fun do I do this. I don't truly begrudge anyone for using the hook, after all, it's there on the "new" knives. I more begrudge Victorinox for wasting resources on altering EVERY knife with scissors for a tool, the uses of which are somewhat, meh.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #69 on: January 14, 2018, 10:51:31 PM
I love the hook although now retired I rarely use it. My whole reason for carrying a SAK, i.e. Swisschamp, is to have tools that can handle the unexpected. Yes I always had a toolbox in the truck & would go out to get it if the champ was not enough, but the reason for carrying the champ in the 1st place was to save that walk & thus save time, because when you are your own boss time is money. That champ with all it's unnecessary tools made me quite a bit of money over the many years I carried it. So yeah I like the hook & all the other tools on the champ...........just my 2 pennies worth. :climber:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 14, 2018, 11:02:05 PM
I once almost had a use for the hook, which I didn't have on the SAK I was carrying :)

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54903.msg957500.html

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: January 14, 2018, 11:31:20 PM
Yep Thundah it's definately all in good fun. :tu: :tu:   :rofl:
Love this stuff, and I think if the two key adverbs are observed the bubble is burst.
Efficeintly and without potentially, only the hook meets both those criteria.
I will agree that it may not be a tool that should be on every SAK with scissors but why not.  I have not seen a significant increese in price since it's addition and it just adds more options for the usefullness of the over all tool.
Like I said Love this stuff. :salute:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #72 on: January 15, 2018, 01:01:19 AM
 :cheers: :like:
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #73 on: January 15, 2018, 03:27:57 AM
Ar mate, there's a guy on the tube who finds all kinds of uses for all rhe sak tools, amazing, annoying music though. ...a Russian dude I believe,  very creative!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #74 on: August 25, 2018, 02:58:34 AM
We can learn to love the hook!   :think:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: August 25, 2018, 08:38:38 AM