Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Schrade Tough Tool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Schrade Tough Tool
on: February 27, 2016, 03:54:02 PM
Schrade Tough Tool

A couple of months ago I bought the latest version of the Schrade Tough Tool, and it has taken me a while to manage to write a review for it, mostly since I’m not sure I can.  You see, I have always tried to be impartial when reviewing a tool, and I insist on finding three good and three bad points about each tool I review.  Some have been hard to find three good points, others have been difficult to find three bad points.   Still, I will do my best for this one, please bear with me.

This latest incarnation of the Tough Tool, of which I couldn’t find a designation on Schrade’s website, featured a steel frame with plastic covers for comfort and grip and spring loaded pliers- something I personally am not a fan of, but some people seem to like so I won’t pass judgement on that.

Inside one handle you find a standard type clip pointed blade, a bottle opener with integrated flathead screwdriver, a phillips screwdriver and a combination fish scaler/hook remover and two inch ruler.

The other handle features a small saw (which for some reason also has a notch at the end, perhaps a backup hook remover?), a flat head screwdriver, a can opener and a metal saw/file with an integrated flathead screwdriver/pry tip.

All of this is contained in a nylon sheath, and is available for $20-30.

However, there is an argument that could be made that the twenty to thirty dollars needed to buy this tool would be better spent paying some neighborhood teenagers to kick you repeatedly in the family jewels.  What makes me say that?  Well gentle reader, read on as I extol the “virtues” of this particular tool.

This version of the Tough Tool is remarkably heavy for what it is.  According to my scale it weighs in at 219g (7.73oz) without the sheath, which according to the Multitool Comparative Weight Chart puts it heavier than the Leatherman Juice XE6, Gerber Strata, Victorinox Spirit, SOG PowerPlier and even CRKT’s massive ZillaTool. 

Then there’s the width- this tool is remarkably fat in the hand, and difficult to hold and use, plus it feels like it sticks a mile out from your belt.  And, you have to wear it on a belt- this thing is way too large to keep in a pocket unless you want to be arrested every time you pass a school zone.  The worst part is, there’s no reason for this massive size- you’d think it was chock full of functions, but in reality inside both handles you will find HUGE spacers- two on each side, and each one the width of another tool.  This means that they could fit a minimum of FOUR more tools in this thing to justify the size.

Getting into the functions it does have, these are my observations:

The blade, saw, file and fish scaler are soft metal, nothing offensive unto itself but virtually useless due to the bulky handles being in the way.  The saw teeth are also rounded, straight out of the pack, so even if you did manage to find a piece of wood that you could get between the stubby length and oversized handles you probably wouldn’t actually cut much with it.

The dedicated flathead is pre-rounded from the factory to ensure that no screw will ever be in danger of being adjusted with this tool, while the Phillips is the same horribly cast version found on so many of the cheapest tools.  You can bet it isn’t heat treated and will fail on one of the first few attempts to use it.

The can and bottle openers seem like they might work, except that the giant handles really get in the way.

Lastly we come to the sheath, which is what I call a “sock sheath” because it is so floppy that it seems to be manufactured of recycled gym socks.  It does however have a nice bright green SCHRADE TOUGH badge stitched into it.  This is handy because it means the tool will be easily spotted after the stitching on the belt loop fails and you lose it- some unsuspecting person will pick it up afterwards and think it is their lucky day.  After all, misery loves company, right?

In conclusion, I would strongly suggest this tool be avoided by pretty well everyone.  The only “Tough” part of this tool is the clam pack it came in, and even that didn’t put up as much of a fight as many others.

Pros:
•   So awkward to hold you will hardly notice the individual tools are virtually useless
•   Bright green logos on side of tool and sheath
•   Finally a tool you won’t feel bad if you lose

Cons:
•   Not worth even the small amount of money you spend on it
•   Pointlessly bulky
•   Sock sheath isn’t even one of the better sock sheaths out there

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Re: New Schrade Tough Tool
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:00:39 PM
It is a shame they named it like a great multi of the past!

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:04:37 PM
The big question is: Did they fix the issue of the tool bending out of shape with a moderate squeezing the pliers?

:think:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 04:06:46 PM
It is a shame they named it like a great multi of the past!

It's a shame that each one of the people responsible for this aren't dragged out into the street and beaten with blunt objects.

The big question is: Did they fix the issue of the tool bending out of shape with a moderate squeezing the pliers?

:think:

Sort of.  The tool can be squeezed until the handles touch but they seem to spring back more or less to shape.  I guess the plastic they use is tougher than the metal they used in previous models.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:41:12 PM
Saw this bundled with another smaller tool at Tractor Supply roughly a week ago for about $15.  Passed on it, since all Chinese Schrade made stuff is junk compared to the good older USA made stuff.  I will buy older used USA made Schrade stuff (like Old Timers) but not this. 

What is with the obsession with putting fish scalers on cheap plier-based multitools?  I have never seen fish scalers on good multitools (Gerber, LM), even on those that are made for fishing!

A Schrade Vise Grip and American Tough Tool I need to pick up, problem is you don't see them cheap often.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:45:46 PM by cody6268 »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:48:18 PM
Saw this bundled with another smaller tool at Tractor Supply yesterday for about $15.  Passed on it, since all Chinese Schrade made stuff is junk compared to the good older USA made stuff.  I will buy older used USA made Schrade stuff (like Old Timers) but not this. 

What is with the obsession with putting fish scalers on cheap plier-based multitools? I have never seen fish scalers on good multitools (Gerber, LM), even on those that are made for fishing!

Maybe they were saws that failed QA!  :rofl:

I can think of more pros...

- Great tool to lend out
- Perfect stocking stuffer for that step dad you dont talk to
- Great for funny reviews of multitools
- A great source of a variety of washers!
- Great to show why buying a swisstool is worth it
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 05:12:30 PM
Even more riducoulus when you think you can get a used Kick for 20$ or less!

Antonio

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:39:46 PM
I'd kick you for free :D

I find it sad that great quality off brand MTs are rarer than unicorns.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 07:16:34 PM
:facepalm: 

That is all.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 08:55:16 PM

You can do a lot with $20.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61559.0.html

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 08:32:26 AM
So MT.O tool of the year?

It's one thing having "no name" tools or branded stuff for promotional reasons, but having respected* brands churn out dangerously bad products really stings

*debatable? I imagine by now any discerning customer is suitably sceptical of Taylor Brands stuff.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%