Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First AA flashlight suggestions?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
First AA flashlight suggestions?
on: February 28, 2016, 02:20:00 PM
Hi everyone!

I suppose its time I started collecting flashlights.  :ahhh

I already have a cheap 3xAAA fleabay torch, sold as a cree Q5. I think it has no brand and I'm not sure that it actually has a Q5 led. The brightness on high and low are fine for night walks, but too bright to read comfortably in total darkness. I like its "feel", brightness and zoom, despite it being a cheapo.
I have one or two other $5 lights.

I'm looking for a under $30 AA light for edc use.
And camping(to complement, and in a pinch, replace the "cree Q5" and better torches).
It needs to have a low(<10 lumen) mode and a medium mode sufficient for most typical "night use".
I was looking at the Fenix E12, which seems really nice. I don't see anything about it that jumps out as remotely undesirable.  :drool:
But before I decide to buy it, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to a light similar to the E12, but better in their opinion, and why?

Thanks!

P.S I took the clip off the torch in the picture. Sorry for the size
20160228_131611.jpg
* 20160228_131611.jpg (Filesize: 126.8 KB)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:22:19 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: First AA flashlight suggestions?
Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:16 PM
I'd have a look at the Thrunite T10.  A little more compact than the E12 I believe, and has more level options.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:13 PM
Fenix LD09 is good - low is 3 lm so should be OK for reading. High is bright enough to ride my bike with. 8)  May be out of your budget.

I've just got a Thrunite T10T and it's very nice but a bit early to say if it's any good yet. The moonlight mode is probably a bit too dim for reading by. High is very bright but quite a wide flood.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:33:28 AM by hiraethus »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 12:21:41 AM
The alum T10 seems good for the money.  :think:

The LD09 looks good too, but its a little out of my price range at the moment. 
I want to start off with something along the lines of the T10 or E12, and go from there.

What lumen level would you recommend for reading and stumbling walking around the house?
Thinking about it,  8 lumens could be too much.
Would 0.2 lumens (from the T10) be too little?

Thanks for the help so far,  Gareth and Hiraethus. :salute:  :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:20 AM
I have a t10, and it was my first aa light. My second choice was an e12. I have used the t10 everyday and it has not failed yet. In fact, it has worked so well that I still don't have an e12. The lowest setting works best if it's completely dark. The mid setting is where I hang out at. Plenty of run time and a very balanced light. Also take note they have a cool white and a neutral white version. Keep that in mind if you have a preference. I actually prefer CW, but each his own. Good luck on your search.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:43:24 AM
Like Demel, I think the moonlight mode on the T10 is great if it's really dark.  If I'm being really fussy it's possibly a bit too dim, and the low mode on the LD09 is probably a little bright. :-\

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 04:03:44 PM
Ok....
So it seems like the best choice for me is the T10, over the E12, because of the moonlight mode?

I suppose that if its too dim for a few things,  I can bring along a cheapo torch that's slightly brighter.
It seems that the moonlight mode will be sufficient anyway for reading in the dark.

Thanks so far.   :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 05:53:16 PM
So I have 2 T10's, one with NW tint and the other with CW tint.  They are IMO great lights.  The high is very good for outdoors and the newer ones come with higher lumen that my 169lm.  If I recall its bumped up to 208  :think:.  The Alum one is a bargain at $25US. 

I like the middle mode ( 20lm ) very much for inside the tent and around camp.  I'll say the moonlight was not effective for me even around the camp fire but can be very effective as a reading light.  Inside the tent in pitch dark it was meh.  I find several times however the moonlight mode to be incredible. 

I was at my daughters performance and wanted to read the program.  I used moonlight and didn't disturb the performers or the other parents. 

They come with the diffuser ( cone ) and as of yet I have not used mine but after posting asking if they were a gimmick I am glad to have it.  Come to think of it I should have used it inside the tent  :think:

Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 10:39:31 PM
Thank you for your input.    :)
So if I understand you right, you find the moonlight mode good for reading in the dark, but not bright enough for easy use inside a tent?

I found the alum T10 on amazon for £20/$27 with free shipping.
Show content

I think that I'll get the neutral white version, for better colours outdoors?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:40:38 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 06:49:37 PM
The moonlight mode IMO is good for UP CLOSE mostly, be it reading or stuff that is within say arm length away.  However let me contradict myself here a bit, it will help you from stumbling around inside a pitch black tent with out a doubt.  It is a useful level and the run time is outstanding.  Let me put it this way, moonlight is a great mode to have especially since you have 2 other very useful modes in addition.  Its a mode for times when you need just a little light and you are glad to have it.   

I run all my lights on eneloops and I couldn't be happier.  I've camped in 32F and the T10s were flawless.  I've also used them in over 100F with high humidity without fail.   

FYI I use a headlamp mostly around camp but my T10 is always at my side be it camping or at home.  I tend to bring both lights with one in my pocket and one in a pack ( can you tell I like these lights ).

As far as tint on the T10 NW, it was my first NW tint and in all honesty I was a bit bummed at first so I bought the CW shortly after.  I was bummed at the perceived "low" output on high to my eyes.  I hadn't considered that the NW being a warm tint my eye would perceive it as "dim".   The warm of the NW is pleasing to my eye when used either indoor or out.  I am a glasses wearer and like the "softness" of the warm tint.  In terms of color rendition I find no real difference when out camping.  I do still find the CW to be perceived as "brighter" than the NW.   I camp in an area that is typically pitch black so what I like/prefer is bright bloody light which both tints work great.

Hope I didn't confuse you. 

Here is a picture ( bad I know ) of the tints.  The wall is eggshell in color but the tints show nicely IMO. 

IMG_0333 copy.jpg
* IMG_0333 copy.jpg (Filesize: 76.2 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 11:22:00 PM
I've decided that to make up my mind for certain about features such as moonlight mode, neutral white tints, and so on, I need to see and use them firsthand.  :ahhh

And because I don't want to buy a T10/E12 and realise that I don't like it,  I've decided to get a NW Ti3. Its smaller and cheaper than either the E12 or T10.
That way, I can decide what I like and don't like,  and act on that.   :mail:
What do you think? This is probably the sort of thing that has been repeated again and again...

Thanks for the help!

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:45 PM
Short answer, YES great idea.  I'm a huge fan of AAA lights.  I have several and they not only make great primary lights they can make a great back up as well.  To me they fit nicely into whatever role you put them in.  You might find the little AAA light is all you really need  :pok: as far as tints goes you'll definitely have to see first hand. 

Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 11:47:00 PM
Ok, thanks for the encouragement Aloha!  :cheers:
Unless I learn of a reason to not get a Ti3, I should have one soon, and I'll post my thoughts and impressions here, out of the box and a few weeks of use later.

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:12:03 AM
I've got the Ti3 in NW and like it well enough.  The only slight downside IMO is that it always comes on in it's lowest mode first.  If you want a very small amount of light then that's great, but if you want a higher level then you have to twist it on and off a couple of times.  I know that sounds very fussy (and probably is) but it's the reason I prefer lights that either let you pre-select the level or ones that have mode memory.

The up side of the Ti3 is that it's a very compact little light and it does have very good levels of light to use. :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 06:41:53 AM
I know initial mode it very important especially when needing a lot of light in that moment.  I don't have to much an issue myself with whatever mode comes on initially.  I''m also in the minority liking the strobe features.
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:30 AM
This has got me thinking that I really do need to carry my Ti3 NW again.  Other than my personal fussiness over it's first mode it really is a very good little light. :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 11:08:15 AM
Fussy?  Nah, you should see me with my mini screwdriver bits. I keep them exactly in the order that they came in.   8)

Moonlight-low-high sounds great to me.
My 3x aaa torch goes high-medium-strobe, and I would prefer if the order was lowest> highest, so the the Ti3 mode order sounds great.

I don't think that I've ever needed strobe, but it's good to know that its there if necessary.

On a related note, where does the Ti3 stand in regards as to throw vs flood, in your opinion? 

Thanks for the input, Gareth and Aloha.  :)

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 11:53:12 AM
It's got what I think of as a good combined beam.  Certainly not a pure flood beam, but will provide a decent spill to light up an enclosed space.  Small AAA lights will very rarely be big throwers but it will put a useful amount of light out to around 15m at a guess.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 06:43:59 PM
I dig the strobe for various reasons.  Recently a car broke down on a busy roadway and the old guy had his hazards on but the traffic is just crazy.  I happened to be where I could lend a hand and took out my Thrunite Pen light and helped direct traffic approaching his auto with the stobe flashing.  It was the middle of the day so IMO the strobe really got the drivers attention.

I also like strobe in that same scenario if my auto should become disabled and no flashers woking.  I could strobe the ground ( not in drivers eyes ) and alert on coming traffic. 

In areas with lots of other light sources ( stadium, parking lot ) a strobe will stick out.  If you needed to call attention to yourself for example.

Have you seen this decent comparison of the two tints?

https://youtu.be/zimvckAiYIA
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 03:38:36 PM
I got my Ti3 yesterday!  :mail:
I got the NW version, from the Thrunite store(on amazon.co.uk) for 14 pounds.
I've been playing with it and I like it very much.  :D
Impressions are basically: Small, well-built and cool!
Something I noticed is that mine came with a small proper ring to use for attaching the keychain, instead of the dreaded metal triangle.

What do I think of the light modes and tint?
Moonlight/Firefly is brighter than I though it would be in the dark, easily bright enough to read (But not as comfortable for extended periods, compared to natural light). I can see how you could walk with it if it was very dark. I'm converted.  :ahhh

The other two modes are good as well, 12 lumens seems to be all you need most of the time while 120 lumens will be useful for lighting up a larger area or looking carefully at something large, but the torch warms up noticeably using it.
Strobe might be handy.

The tint is great, noticeably warmer than cool white and renders colours better, as said above repeatably. I'll probably stick with it.

How could it be better? Don't know.  :tu:
Thanks everyone, I think that I'll stick with this torch for now!

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 04:05:53 PM
Great to hear.  Some light is always better than no light so moon light mode is a good in that regard.  Add a diffuser ( chap stick top ) and now you have a small candle that spreads the light in a room nicely.

Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 10:27:25 PM
Good to hear you're liking it Pablo.  I do still carry and use cool white lights, but there's no doubt that I prefer neutral.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:12 PM
I carry one of each  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Dalton Siedschlag

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 04:17:50 PM
Coast HX5
It's a bit bulky but I love it so much I have two of them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 11:26:29 PM
I found a diffuser cap from a cheap novelty torch that fit. It really is like a super duper candle on high...

Coast HX5
It's a bit bulky but I love it so much I have two of them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It looks like a nice torch, but it's not what I want.
Thanks though. 
 :cheers:

After more use, I know now what I would like in my next torch, if I decide to buy another torch.

(Warning, ramblings approaching. Skip to last paragraph if you want)

Neutral white is definitely nicer than cool white, worth any drop in apparent  brightness. But its still no match for the warm tint of sunlight or a good house light.

The main thing is that on high, runtime is low.(understandable, being an aaa light and all)
An aa torch like the T10 has a (even brighter!) high setting/mode* that can last more than twice as long.  Sounds great.   :D

But also, the Ti3 has a big gap between low(12 lumens) and high (+120 lumens). A setting/mode around 20-40 lumens would be useful.  The T10 has one such setting!

Finally(?), a brighter firefly than the Ti3's firefly(0.04 lumen) for comfortable(not straining eyes) extended reading would be great. The T10's 0.2 lumen firefly sounds like it would do.

*is it ok to say setting?

Wow. I didn't realise that the Ti3 and T10 would make such a good duo, on paper. Carry the Ti3 everywhere in your pocket/on keys, and keep the T10 in a bag or around the house for more runtime or more light.  :)
Not only that, I've nearly gone full circle, back to the T10.
I'll stick with just my Ti3 for now, because its such a nice torch.  8)

Thanks for all the advice!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:31:05 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 07:12:21 AM
It's all circles around here.   :ahhh   :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
I cannot fault your logic. :D 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:06 PM
Lol!
I have a silly good excuse to buy a T10 (or similar) sometime in the future.  >:D

I hear the actual firefly brightness on a lot of torches can vary from the published specs, torch to torch.
What is your experience with this?

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:44 PM
Small bump! ::) :P
Just 1 year and 9 months later, I'm ready to get a bigger light. :rofl:

My wee Ti3 has been my edc light all that time, except for some periods when I wasn't carrying any lights (Most recently when there was a severe shortage of rechargeable AAA's in the house.  :ahhh I've got 12 more on the way, so that should be ok now).

Small enough for key chain carry (I actually pocket carry though), bright enough for hiking and camping use. 8)
Spare batteries are not hard to carry when needed.

Firefly is my favorite.  :like:
The 12 lumen mode is enough for walking, and the 150 lumen mode for looking around with.

But I have encountered a few drawbacks, that I will fix with the new light.....
Firefly mode on this light is something like 0.04 or 0.02 lumens, which is fine for pitch black conditions. I'd like a "Moonlight" mode, anywhere from 0.1 to 0.9 lumens, for use in less than pitch black conditions.
A mode in the 20-80 lumen range would be nice.
Any mode over 200 lumens is optional.
1xAA or 2xAA powered.

Both the ThruNite Archer 2A V3 and the ThruNite TH20 look good for my desires requirements.
I think I like the TH20 better because of the headband format(more versatile  :like: ) and 1.6 to 230 lumen logarithmic brightness adjuster ( :like:)
What do you awl think? Suggestions welcome, as awlways.  :pok:
I've also considered a 2xAAA penlight like the ThruNite Ti4, it ticks my boxes too and 2xAAA is almost as good as 1xAA for me.

Whatever I get, it will be supplementary to my Ti3 to use around the house or camping, hiking, my Ti3 will remain my edc light.  :salute: :cheers:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 12:20:06 PM
Oh and, a Neutral White or high CRI emitter, never ever Cool White. :rant: :D

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds