Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First AA flashlight suggestions?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: First AA flashlight suggestions?
Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:48 PM
Holy heck, I was just going to suggest you have another look at the Thrunite T10 but it doesn't seem to be available now!  :ahhh  My personal favourite 1xAA light, in fact my favourite light of all and the one that's in my pocket right now, is the Eagletac/Eagtac D25A Clicky.  Available with a Nichia 219 LED for your high CRI requirements. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 05:56:49 PM
The T10 is currently unavailable until the new version comes out soon.  ::)
I wonder what they’ll change?  :facepalm:
Will take a look at the Eagletec. :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 06:02:15 PM
Holy heck, I was just going to suggest you have another look at the Thrunite T10 but it doesn't seem to be available now!  :ahhh  My personal favourite 1xAA light, in fact my favourite light of all and the one that's in my pocket right now, is the Eagletac/Eagtac D25A Clicky.  Available with a Nichia 219 LED for your high CRI requirements.

Seconded! Great little light. Always there, always works. I like the UI too.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 06:04:03 PM
Fenix LD09 any good?  I've got the older model which has a fairly bright low mode, but the newer (2015) model is 3 lm.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 07:09:44 PM

Seconded! Great little light. Always there, always works. I like the UI too.

(Image removed from quote.)
Looks like a good light...  :think:
Satisfies desires also....  :tu:
But I don’t think that I want it.  :facepalm:
Thanks for the suggestion though.  :cheers:
I’ll keep in mind if I want a hand light.

Fenix LD09 any good?  I've got the older model which has a fairly bright low mode, but the newer (2015) model is 3 lm.
Not low enough I think.   :-[
Thanks anyway!  :cheers:

I think that the high CRI requirement is optional...
And I think that I’d prefer a head light over a hand light. :cheers:
So far I like the specs of the Thrunite TH20 NW best.
Does anyone have head light suggestions?

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 10:55:44 PM
I just got a lumintop tool AA for some ridiculous low price with amazon lightning deal and there is a $3 coupon on the amazon page as well, another quality light, very small and, lightweight,can take a 14500 Li-on and hit 550 lumens, comes with a silicone glow in the dark diffuser, clip, lanyard and spare tailcap to make it a twisty if you want, will post some pics later but this is a great light, 3 modes

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 11:18:52 PM
My only modern headlight is a Fenix HL22 I got on sale from Amazon.  Now discontinued I think and not quite what you are looking for anyway.  Suits me quite well though.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 12:22:56 AM
oh, as per usual I only read last few posts, I got a nice skillhunt H03 with NW does 1200 lumens has bead optic diffuser built in, 18650 battery, if thats no good theres the olight H1 nova, kinda the same but smaller uses cr123 or Li-on. but if you dont want recharchables there are some decent energizer models that take AAA and are pretty decent and inexpensive.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 01:11:48 AM
Soon I will have too many AA and AAA eneloops to use all at once.  :D  I'd like to use them as I don't have any good (protected or otherwise) 18650 batteries to use in a hypothetical new 18650 light.

BUT, I have a "hobby charger" that I use for my RC hobby batteries that can accommodate any Li-ion (not to mention NiMH, LiFe and Lead acid  :rofl: ) battery within a certain size (It should be able to charge single batteries or battery packs up to laptop size.  :o  :ahhh ) so the only extra cost associated with getting a flashlight that takes a strange li-ion battery size ought to be the battery itself.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:15:45 AM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:00 AM
My only modern headlight is a Fenix HL22 I got on sale from Amazon.  Now discontinued I think and not quite what you are looking for anyway.  Suits me quite well though.
Hmmm... Between handheld or head mounted, which do you find more useful?   :think:

The Lumintop looks nice, but I don't think that the lowest mode is low enough, and I'd prefer a headlamp, I think, for more hypothetical versatility? :think:

The likes of the skill hunt H03 and Olight H1 are too overkill for me.  :D
You're talking to someone who thinks that the $20 Ti3 is the cats meow, the bee's knees, etc.  :rofl:
The likes of the Thrunite TH20 don't seem to have many fancy functions like magnetic charging, but I don't feel the need for that.... At least not yet.

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 02:33:05 AM
check out the energizer brand headlights then, I use them everyday, good bang for your buck.

I had gotten the skillhunt for $25ish from grrbest a few months ago, so it can be had for a decent price,
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:38:09 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 02:35:04 AM
I just got a lumintop tool AA for some ridiculous low price with amazon lightning deal and there is a $3 coupon on the amazon page as well, another quality light, very small and, lightweight,can take a 14500 Li-on and hit 550 lumens, comes with a silicone glow in the dark diffuser, clip, lanyard and spare tailcap to make it a twisty if you want, will post some pics later but this is a great light, 3 modes

You beat me to it. I do not own the AA version, but given the quality of the AAA and most Lumintop products I wouldn't expect less. Price is around $18 on some online Chinese stores.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 02:40:23 AM

You beat me to it. I do not own the AA version, but given the quality of the AAA and most Lumintop products I wouldn't expect less. Price is around $18 on some online Chinese stores.

Im really liking it, got the black version, not sure why the lanyard is royal blue colored tho, it also came with a AA battery and neat magnetic latching case.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 09:30:02 AM
Hmmm... Between handheld or head mounted, which do you find more useful?   :think:

The Lumintop looks nice, but I don't think that the lowest mode is low enough, and I'd prefer a headlamp, I think, for more hypothetical versatility? :think:

You're talking to someone who thinks that the $20 Ti3 is the cats meow, the bee's knees, etc.  :rofl:
The likes of the Thrunite TH20 don't seem to have many fancy functions like magnetic charging, but I don't feel the need for that.... At least not yet.

When out camping then a headlamp is king without a doubt, but outside of that I rarely use one.  Another option is getting a headband that holds your torch, something like the Skilhunt HB1.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 11:03:14 AM

When out camping then a headlamp is king without a doubt, but outside of that I rarely use one.  Another option is getting a headband that holds your torch, something like the Skilhunt HB1.
:like:
I think that I'll get a few of those in addition to whatever light I get.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 11:34:28 AM
Seems obvious, but I find a headlight handy for anything you know you'll need two hands for.  Camping, rummaging in the attic, fixing bikes by the side of the road, furtling around in an engine bay, that sort of thing - so I usually have one (an older Petzl Tikka, I think) if I know I'd going to be doing anything like that. .  But for most day-to-day use, a normal AA or AAA pocket light is more convenient.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 02:24:24 PM

Im really liking it, got the black version, not sure why the lanyard is royal blue colored tho, it also came with a AA battery and neat magnetic latching case.

Good to know you're liking it! The royal blue lanyard could be a mistake, they just released the Tool in red, purple and blue.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 10:45:53 PM
Am I over thinking things?
I want to get and use stuff that will last long enough to become sentimental, etc. You know, like SAKs.  :dd: :dd:
That involves making sure that I won't irreparably damage them on the way to the 10 year, 20 year, 1000 year goal.  ::)

But I'm also extending that line of thinking to my Ti3, and... my eneloops.  :facepalm:
I mean, thinking like this about a cheap flashlight is bad enough, but batteries?!  :rofl:

Back to the Ti3... That involves thinking about how it might fail, a tragic accident or manufacturer defect aside.
The batteries are probably NOT going to be a failure mode, the LED should last for a very long time, etc etc.

It seems that the most likely failure mode that puts it out of service is to do with the twisty threads or the LED driver circuit board, unless I'm missing something.
In case of circuit board failure, it SEEMS like I might be able to fix it or rustle up/make a replacement if I learn the skillzzzzz.

I don't think that I could ever fix the threads if they wear out though.  ::)
So yeah... How much use should I expect to get out of the anodized aluminium threads, assuming no overstressing/abuse, and decent lubrication? Big question I know, buy this is MTO.  :think:

And if you were choosing a keychain light for the long long long long haul, to possibly pass on to the generation after the generation coming after the next generation, what would you pick?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:47:14 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 11:08:33 PM
The Fenix E01 has a reputation for being rugged and durable. 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 11:16:01 PM
That makes me wonder what makes it durable.  :D

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: January 24, 2018, 11:22:35 PM
That makes me wonder what makes it durable.  :D

Possibly nothing at all, but if there's anything too it then it's simplicity.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 24, 2018, 11:32:18 PM
most of the AAA keylight size lights take the most abuse in my collection, falling/dropping, annodizing wears down from scraping keys and vic classic, but I have never seen one fail yet, they are tough little buggers

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: January 24, 2018, 11:40:28 PM
most of the AAA keylight size lights take the most abuse in my collection, falling/dropping, annodizing wears down from scraping keys and vic classic, but I have never seen one fail yet, they are tough little buggers
Indeed.  :D
I sometimes give my Ti3 a quick wash under a running tap, and the water never gets inside.  :salute:
If the twisty ones have a failing, it’s that you can sometimes over tighten the head. :ahhh
It tends to be caused by the person you lend the light to.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 24, 2018, 11:59:22 PM
I'm really liking this lumintop tool AA, but I'm using it with 14500 lion, output is ok with an alk or nimh, but really need the lithium to see its full potential, and its damn bright. has nice case it comes in. its shipped with the clickie tailcap installed and they include a magnetic tailcap you can put on to make it a twisty, also includes a silicon diffuser, lanyard and battery.

Only complaints are the pocket clip is kinda weak, can see it being an issue, I put it in a spare fenix holster but it still doesnt grab the material strongly, also not the most stable tailstander(with clickie tailcap, havent tried mag tail cap yet but it should be fine)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:03:17 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 11:42:02 AM
A NW TH20 has been acquired.:dd:
(Its actually dads now, for his birthday. But he doesn't use it all the time, right?  :whistle: )

Thoughts:
Great beam. The spill part is much... floodier, than the spill part on my Ti3. But it still has a nice hotspot for decent throw.  :like:

Great UI. There are four modes: Firefly, adjustable(from 1.6 lumens to 250), turbo(which is just adjustable on high if using AA batteries) and SOS( ::))

Long click when off to access firefly.
Long click again when on firefly (or a Normal click when on off) to get the main adjustable mode. Hold the button to adjust the brightness up and down.
Double click anytime, on or off, to access turbo. Double click again when on turbo for SOS, so at least its hidden.
A normal click when on turns it off, irregardless of mode.
If it sounds complicated, its not, when you get the hang of it. Its not.... un-intuitive, to me.

All you need to know if you just want the basics: Click normally when off to turn on. Then hold the button until you get the brightness you want, if its not already at it. If you want maximum, just click twice. Normal click anytime when its on to turn off. Thats the basics covered, if you don't care about firefly or SOS.  :D

As for its build.  :like:
It feels compact, relatively light and durable.

Tint is a little greeny compared to my NW Ti3, but thats fine. Could just be this particular one. I hardly have any experience with different tints anyway, so take with a pinch of salt.

It has a nice way of attaching to the headband, and is removable with a bit of effort(involving stretching rubber loops). Adjusting the lamp angle up and down is easy.

That brings me to the fact that this is a headlamp. Its very good at it, but I don't think that headlamps for for me.  :oops: I CAN wear this, but its awkward to put on, take off, and adjust, because of my hearing aids.Thats not the TH20's fault, its probably less awkward than most headlamps would be, already.

Between the Ti3 and this, I feel like most of the niches I care about are covered, except for the "lighting up the entire camp" niche and the "super throwy" niche.

And the "super throwy" niche is the one iId like to explore now.
Got any suggestions?  :pok: :cheers:
AA(any number of them) is preferable but not required.

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 02:41:46 PM
Looks like a good choice Pablo.  :cheers:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
First AA flashlight suggestions?
Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 03:26:30 PM
First off I need to say that I have no clue about the pricing and availability where you are but....

I would look for a Convoy S2+ and go for the light!

I buy the S2 for around $11 in the U.S. and then a few Panasonic/Sanyo 3400 18650 cells and you can not get better or brighter or comparable build quality and options anywhere close that I know of!

The C8 is about twice as much and a Thrower but just as good but which a big throwers head too!

Look them up,I bet you are ready.

Also need to mention the Jetbeam Jet1MK that for a single AA and here about $13 is unbelievable and even more so with a 14500 cell at 700 lumens!
Not NW and no true firefly mode but does have a threaded 1/4-20 hole in the tail andfor the the price is a crazy great little light and I have one in my watch pocket every day and I loves me my Thrunites as well!

A NW TH20 has been acquired.:dd:
(Its actually dads now, for his birthday. But he doesn't use it all the time, right?  :whistle: )

Thoughts:
Great beam. The spill part is much... floodier, than the spill part on my Ti3. But it still has a nice hotspot for decent throw.  :like:

Great UI. There are four modes: Firefly, adjustable(from 1.6 lumens to 250), turbo(which is just adjustable on high if using AA batteries) and SOS( ::))

Long click when off to access firefly.
Long click again when on firefly (or a Normal click when on off) to get the main adjustable mode. Hold the button to adjust the brightness up and down.
Double click anytime, on or off, to access turbo. Double click again when on turbo for SOS, so at least its hidden.
A normal click when on turns it off, irregardless of mode.
If it sounds complicated, its not, when you get the hang of it. Its not.... un-intuitive, to me.

All you need to know if you just want the basics: Click normally when off to turn on. Then hold the button until you get the brightness you want, if its not already at it. If you want maximum, just click twice. Normal click anytime when its on to turn off. Thats the basics covered, if you don't care about firefly or SOS.  :D

As for its build.  :like:
It feels compact, relatively light and durable.

Tint is a little greeny compared to my NW Ti3, but thats fine. Could just be this particular one. I hardly have any experience with different tints anyway, so take with a pinch of salt.

It has a nice way of attaching to the headband, and is removable with a bit of effort(involving stretching rubber loops). Adjusting the lamp angle up and down is easy.

That brings me to the fact that this is a headlamp. Its very good at it, but I don't think that headlamps for for me.  :oops: I CAN wear this, but its awkward to put on, take off, and adjust, because of my hearing aids.Thats not the TH20's fault, its probably less awkward than most headlamps would be, already.

Between the Ti3 and this, I feel like most of the niches I care about are covered, except for the "lighting up the entire camp" niche and the "super throwy" niche.

And the "super throwy" niche is the one iId like to explore now.
Got any suggestions?  :pok: :cheers:
AA(any number of them) is preferable but not required.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:51:20 PM by ezdog »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 03:55:39 PM
What a rabbit hole.... I've discovered that there are different versions of the s2+ and some of them do actually seem to push 1000 lumens.And theres the C8 too.
Soooooo many different versions....
I've got homework to do.  :facepalm:

Thanks!  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 04:18:54 PM
The Convoy C8, with XP-L HI led in the U6 3A (Neutral White) with mode option 2 (Low = 5%, Med = 30%, High = 100% ) and 8 7135 chips looks pretty good.  :drool:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-C8-with-XPL-HI-LED/330416_32651190452.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.2c576d6c63eqgz
Ok.... Phew... Technobabble over with.  :ahhh

Review:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51463
Side note: That beamshot!  :o
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:20:09 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 04:24:58 PM
It can seem pretty daunting at first I know but I have come to believe that the exact same light is offered by many vendors for different prices too and I just try to go for the lowest usually.
The chip count in the light just translates to more or less runtime vs output and at these levels I am pretty much OK with longer runtimes for myself but not everyone feels the same way.
What is great about the S2 platform too is that it is not so tiny that Heat becomes a huge issue usually and for a generic built light the quality is pretty amazing really!

What a rabbit hole.... I've discovered that there are different versions of the s2+ and some of them do actually seem to push 1000 lumens.And theres the C8 too.
Soooooo many different versions....
I've got homework to do.  :facepalm:

Thanks!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24